PDA

View Full Version : hood pad clips

rockin1978TA
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the hood padding clips without breaking them? My 89' 535I is leaking wiper fluid under the pad, and I tried removing 2 clips, broke both. Used a door panle tool and a small flat head.

Rus
03-05-2009, 05:20 PM
If I remember correctly, the clips are composed of two pieces. Use a small flathead to pry out the center piece. This will allow the external barbed piece to compress and be removed. Don't use your door panel tool as these clips are not going to come out if the center piece is still in place.

Kibokojoe
03-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I use the door panel tool but I pull the center pin first then I pull the second pin

bubba966
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, those type of clips do break when they get old & brittle. As has been said you need to remove the center pin first. I usually just pry that out with a small flathead screwdriver.

A clawed hammer will also pull the center pin out.

I broke a few when doing the same thing. Went to the dealer to get some new ones and found out that those are actually the wrong type of retaining clip. That type of retaining clip is for the fan shroud. The hood pad clips have a plastic screw in the center instead of that flat head smooth shank pin.

And the proper screw type clips have a bigger outer diameter to hold the hood pad better. Sure enough, looking at the pin style retainers I could see the outline of where the original, proper screw type retainers held the hood pad.

Interestingly my car had a mix of the two retaining clips on the hood pad when I bought it. Now it's got only the screw type retainers on it. I like the usability of the pin style better, but the screw style holds the pad better so that's what I went with.

FWIW, Pin style clip is part # 17 11 1 712 963, screw style clip (the proper one) is part # 51 48 1 915 964

Bill R.
03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the hood padding clips without breaking them? My 89' 535I is leaking wiper fluid under the pad, and I tried removing 2 clips, broke both. Used a door panle tool and a small flat head.

Just order new clips form Patrick at bma, they are like 35 cents each. Then just take a small punch and shove the center pin all the way in on the old ones since they are going to break anyway when you try to remove them as you already found out.

Russell
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Patrick/BMA is my answer to most any obscure part i need.