PDA

View Full Version : Whaat is this mess?

MBXB
06-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to replace the radiator return hose and it runs behind this mess. What is it? How do I get behind it?

535ise
06-05-2004, 05:20 PM
It's your interiour heater control valve,the black cover pull's off and you should then be able to see how it's removed.

Sorry i can't be more specific,i've not remove the control valve before.

ryan roopnarine
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
care to elaborate on which hose? i don't think that you need to move the heater control valve to change any of them, it should branch off from there

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/Saturday,%20June%2005,%202004.jpg

MBXB
06-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Ryan,
It's the vent hose that's back against the firewall. It runs from the radiator to the top of the expansion tank, right next to the radiator cap. Part of the return line is very brittle and need replacing. It runs behind the heater control valve mess. Looks pretty tight back there.
Ramon

632 Regal
06-05-2004, 10:36 PM
looks like you should have used one of them tyvek condoms!

cant wait till I replace all mine, take pics!

MBXB
06-05-2004, 11:44 PM
LOL It looks like it was designed by the same guy who did the downtown Chicago Interstate system doesnt it?

ryan roopnarine
06-06-2004, 08:06 AM
...didnt realise that you had the firewall mounted expansion tank hoses to deal with, mine is on the radiator, which simplifies things. if you get the top cover of the hcv off, you will see three nuts holding the top of it down......move about three or four inches toward the front of the car, there is an additional bolt or nut that you have to remove....remove the hoses to the heater core, and the assembly comes out. if you have to take it out, you should probably consider replacing the hoses on the heater control valve, being american size and all.

John 535is (Sydney)
06-06-2004, 08:01 PM
The bleed hose you are looking for is only about a 1/4 inch. If you trace it from the radiator, it runs up the side og the engine bay, behind all that heater control and across the firewall to the underside of the expansion tank.

The hose is pretty well protected so you shouldn't have too many issues, except where it joins at the radiator and the expansion tank. Make sure the hose is clear, I blew some compressed air through it, and got some pretty awfull gunk out. When its working correctly, you should see the coolant drip back into the expansion tank by looking down the filler cap.

All those hoses in your photo are for the heater (driver and passenger) are essentially independent so its twice as many as simpler cars.

John 535is 1989.

winfred
06-06-2004, 08:14 PM
if that little pisser hose is blocked the engine will overheat

MBXB
06-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Got that covered. Used a small hand drill to open up the opening by the pressure cap.