PDA

View Full Version : E39 Touring...some questions

billb
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey guys-just ran across a Craigslist posting in my area for a 2000 528iT, 142k miles, for $2700. Says it needs new rear brakes, a CD changer, and control sensors (I'm thinking brake pad sensors, but could mean O2?). I'm going to check it out tomorrow, as it's 0.5 miles from my house, but what should I be looking for? Anything much different from standard E34 stuff? Just wanted to have my homework done. This would be my commuter car once the E30 is gone. Then the E34 would come up for sale too.

Thanks guys.

Bill R.
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Not too much different as as far as wear items.... abs control module fails, 1200 from the dealer, Module master does a good rebuild with a 5 year warranty for around 350. Intake and Exhaust cam position sensors fail pretty often. Otherwise pretty much the same stuff that fails on the e34's , and the pixels on the dash display

Hey guys-just ran across a Craigslist posting in my area for a 2000 528iT, 142k miles, for $2700. Says it needs new rear brakes, a CD changer, and control sensors (I'm thinking brake pad sensors, but could mean O2?). I'm going to check it out tomorrow, as it's 0.5 miles from my house, but what should I be looking for? Anything much different from standard E34 stuff? Just wanted to have my homework done. This would be my commuter car once the E30 is gone. Then the E34 would come up for sale too.

Thanks guys.

Jr ///M5
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
The pixels in the dash display only affects the cars with the "high-end" computer. The simple computer that reads out only MPG, DTE, OAT, and Average Speed does not have trouble with the pixels in the dash. The pixels on the radio is another story.

The Light Control Module can go out, it's about $380 from the dealer, and it's dealer only. Then you have to have it programmed. The vanos unit is another area that needs to be looked into. Do a search for Dr. Vanos and you'll see. Usually a rough idle 30 seconds after start up until it reaches above the blue temperature scale.

As Bill R. points out, the typical plastic radiator cracks, water pumps, thermostats built into plastic housings. Fan resistor plus the dreaded cyclone valve. You might not have as much of a problem with the cyclone valve or PCV valve because of the wamer weather. Typically, the valve will load up with condensate due to cold starts, then it freezes the valve in the closed position and the crankcase pressure has nowhere to go. Then it blows off the valve cover and dumps oil all over the exhaust manifold making for some more good cleaning fun. The PCV valve is located underneath the intake runners and is a bear to get to. BMW has redesigned this valve and the oil dipstick tube to flow better and not clog up.

The transmission has the famous lifetime fill that is good for a lifetime, who's lifetime is the question...I'll admit I haven't changed the fluid in the '01 525i and it's going on 163k miles. Same goes for the rear diff.

You might check into E39 tips and tricks for more information on other things such as wheel bearings and the like..

Good luck Bill B.

JR

billb
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
The pixels in the dash display only affects the cars with the "high-end" computer. The simple computer that reads out only MPG, DTE, OAT, and Average Speed does not have trouble with the pixels in the dash. The pixels on the radio is another story.

The Light Control Module can go out, it's about $380 from the dealer, and it's dealer only. Then you have to have it programmed. The vanos unit is another area that needs to be looked into. Do a search for Dr. Vanos and you'll see. Usually a rough idle 30 seconds after start up until it reaches above the blue temperature scale.

As Bill R. points out, the typical plastic radiator cracks, water pumps, thermostats built into plastic housings. Fan resistor plus the dreaded cyclone valve. You might not have as much of a problem with the cyclone valve or PCV valve because of the wamer weather. Typically, the valve will load up with condensate due to cold starts, then it freezes the valve in the closed position and the crankcase pressure has nowhere to go. Then it blows off the valve cover and dumps oil all over the exhaust manifold making for some more good cleaning fun. The PCV valve is located underneath the intake runners and is a bear to get to. BMW has redesigned this valve and the oil dipstick tube to flow better and not clog up.

The transmission has the famous lifetime fill that is good for a lifetime, who's lifetime is the question...I'll admit I haven't changed the fluid in the '01 525i and it's going on 163k miles. Same goes for the rear diff.

You might check into E39 tips and tricks for more information on other things such as wheel bearings and the like..

Good luck Bill B.

JR
Thanks guys, but I got poached by a CCA buddy on the car...
I pulled up to take a look at it, noticed an E46 touring sitting nearby, then recognized the driver. He had already made an appt with the E39 owner, and had the cash in hand...
Oh well, it's going to a good home that'll know how to fix it up!

ScottyWM
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Bill, It's a bit older, but here's a local E34 touring that sounds like it might be decent.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/1061366760.html