PDA

View Full Version : You have got to be kidding

Kibokojoe
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Been looking for a replacement wood center console on the bimmer parts site they call it a "Bottom panel depositing box wood" Ya know the panel that sits under the stick shift. Popped in the part number and wala $300 bucks..... holy crap. You have got to be kidding its a piece of stinkin wood. Am I missing something ???

Scott C
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Been looking for a replacement wood center console on the bimmer parts site they call it a "Bottom panel depositing box wood" Ya know the panel that sits under the stick shift. Popped in the part number and wala $300 bucks..... holy crap. You have got to be kidding its a piece of stinkin wood. Am I missing something ???

You look on ebay?

shogun
03-01-2009, 10:44 PM
2 years old, but maybe still there , new, Gale bought from there, see pics
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35426&highlight=center+console

Kibokojoe
03-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Haven't seen anything yet. They do have an entire kit but all I need is the center console.

Ross
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
It's not just a stinkin' piece of wood. It's bonded to a stinkin' piece of aluminum which is bonded to a stinkin' piece of plastic.
That should make you feel better.

Bo525i
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
That stinks.. :D

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Scrap Yard...

Kibokojoe
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Whew I feel better now :)

ScottyWM
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that you can refinish these pretty easily? Some of my door trim has cracks in them. I was told that the cracks are only in the clearcoat, and that you can take that off and recoat them. Any truth to that? Are there places that can do that (I don't have much luck with that type of stuff)?

Kibokojoe
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Thats an idea, use some aircraft stripper on the clear coat and then recoat them with clear 2 part epoxy coat.

BMWDriver
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd be tempted to cut a piece of wood myself, staining it and finishing it. That would be as far as the centre console is concerned, since you only need a straight piece of wood.

The trick is, finding that exotic piece of wood since it's not your regular cut in the wood. It's actually, if I recall my industrial designing courses, a plank cut from the tree trunk that gives this kind of finish. Or the wood is turned in an unusual fashion compared to your regular plank.

Whatever it may be, you'd likely have to go to a specialized shop or a carpenter specialized in furniture.

Dave M
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd be tempted to cut a piece of wood myself, staining it and finishing it. That would be as far as the centre console is concerned, since you only need a straight piece of wood.

The trick is, finding that exotic piece of wood since it's not your regular cut in the wood. It's actually, if I recall my industrial designing courses, a plank cut from the tree trunk that gives this kind of finish. Or the wood is turned in an unusual fashion compared to your regular plank.

Whatever it may be, you'd likely have to go to a specialized shop or a carpenter specialized in furniture.

Burl wood, read all about it :D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl)

Dave

Ross
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
There is a very heavy layer of something clear over a quite thin veneer. I think the stripper would delaminate the whole works, perhaps that would be a good thing as you could reveneer it with your choice of woods.

Kibokojoe
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a carpentry shop that is close to my home that specializes in all kinds of exotic wood. I will have to go and check it out. When I was in Africa it was cheaper to use teak or mahogany then it was to use pine for projects because the teak and mahogany could be found locally whereas the pine had to be brought in

632 Regal
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
yes, Winfred did a write up a while back. Dont think its on this site anymore, no results.
Didn't I read somewhere that you can refinish these pretty easily? Some of my door trim has cracks in them. I was told that the cracks are only in the clearcoat, and that you can take that off and recoat them. Any truth to that? Are there places that can do that (I don't have much luck with that type of stuff)?

JD525IA
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
You look on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-89-95-E34-525i-Console-Wood-Shifter-Trim-Panel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el12 47QQcategoryZ33695QQihZ024QQitemZ370094215502QQrdZ 1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Kibokojoe
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
That one looks worse than mine. I am leaning towards stripping and refinishing.