PDA

View Full Version : Considering replacing the Injectors, what do we think of these?

e34.535i.sport
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-19lb-e23-e28-e30-e34-e36-Z3-Fuel-Injectors-325i_W0QQitemZ170307142198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item170307142198&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

I suspect after 19years and 161,000 miles my injectors could do with a sonic clean or whatever you call it... However, it seems you can get refurb'd sets on ebay for such a reasonable price so I was contemplating just changing them over. I've fancied doing this for a while for a variety of reasons and I've got a bit of time on my hands of a weekend now so need some e34 related boredom release. :D

The auction above is for 19lb BOSCH DESIGN II injectors... Are these the same or better than what I already have? I'm not looking for performance gains or anything like that but from reading around the archives it seems that better fuel economy is a possible gain as well as improved idle and quieter injectors!

Also, on the title he states 325i... Will these still be suitable for my m30?

Any comments from past experience or not are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

whiskychaser
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE
The auction above is for 19lb BOSCH DESIGN II injectors... Are these the same or better than what I already have?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
I would have a word with this outfit:
http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/post.htm
When I contacted them they were really down to earth and very helpful.

BigKriss
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
the design 3 ones are supposed to be better as they have a "better" spray pattern. I installed some recently as they work great.

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE
The auction above is for 19lb BOSCH DESIGN II injectors... Are these the same or better than what I already have?

Thanks in advance.
I would have a word with this outfit:
http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/post.htm
When I contacted them they were really down to earth and very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks... I emailed them and their response wasn't very helpful, but I might give a ring and see what they say! Still keeping an eye on those on ebay just incase... Might get a bargain! :D

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
the design 3 ones are supposed to be better as they have a "better" spray pattern. I installed some recently as they work great.

Yeah... They're also supposed to be better for heat dissipation with the plastic body (rather than metal). I'll keep my eyes open but not looking to spend too much. How much did you pay for yours? New or reconditioned?

BigKriss
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
reconditioned - about aud$100 for 8 delivered.

e34.535i.sport
03-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Hmmm.... Before I proceed with this has anyone used the design II's with success? I'm about to purchase!

Bill R.
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Hmmm.... Before I proceed with this has anyone used the design II's with success? I'm about to purchase!

The design II have the 4 hole pintle and the improved spray pattern and fine dissipation plus they have the groove for the clip to lock them in the fuel rail
I put them in my poor old 535 and they worked fine. I got mine really cheap from here on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320346228477&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=320326557082&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D2)

zmuff
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I put a set of design II's in my 535i close to 5 years ago. I haven't had one problem all this time. I feed them a bottle of BG-44K once in a while just make sure the smaller holes stay clean.

e34.535i.sport
03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that guys... I'll be going for them for sure- see how the auction goes! :D

h2oyo
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM

This got me thinking, I have a 95 540i with almost 200K on it. The car runs great and all but it is a little rough at idle. I know there has been a lot about that subject all ready but the question I have is do injectors really wear out? I have used K44 injector cleaner and I do run the highest octane rated fuel I can find in my area usually 91. Are the injectors something I should be thinking about? Thanks and i'm not trying to hijack this thread it just made me think.
Johan

BigKriss
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
i don't think they wear out but they can get clogged (the spray of fuel out of the injector) and the filters themselves can get clogged also. I'm unsure of what detergents are in the higher octane rated fuel so I don't know.

This got me thinking, I have a 95 540i with almost 200K on it. The car runs great and all but it is a little rough at idle. I know there has been a lot about that subject all ready but the question I have is do injectors really wear out? I have used K44 injector cleaner and I do run the highest octane rated fuel I can find in my area usually 91. Are the injectors something I should be thinking about? Thanks and i'm not trying to hijack this thread it just made me think.
Johan

BigKriss
03-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I never knew that. The design 3 injector i received didn't have the clip for the fuel rail either.

The design II have the 4 hole pintle and the improved spray pattern and fine dissipation plus they have the groove for the clip to lock them in the fuel rail
I put them in my poor old 535 and they worked fine. I got mine really cheap from here on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320346228477&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=320326557082&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D2)

e34.535i.sport
03-08-2009, 05:24 AM
I bought a set of Design II's yesterday from the states - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220368240722&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=

Here's hoping to a swift delivery, looking forward to getting them in! :D

Bill R.
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I bought a set of Design II's yesterday from the states - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220368240722&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=

Here's hoping to a swift delivery, looking forward to getting them in! :D

With his products, the guy bends over backwards to make sure that his ebay customers are satisfied...I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again

e34.535i.sport
03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
With his products, the guy bends over backwards to make sure that his ebay customers are satisfied...I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again

Cheers Bill,

I thought he seemed like a genuine guy when I messaged him over the import duty... And his feedback seems spot on. I just can't wait to bang them in.
:D

e34.535i.sport
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
DONE!

Changed the injectors over yesterday, took about 4/5 hours as we had a couple of 'issues' ... ;)

RESULTS!
The swap to the refurb'd design II's have made a massive difference to the drive, and fixed a few minor but annoying problems to boot!

1. The car now idles MUCH smoother than before, you can barely feel it at all now which is a big deal with the m30 motor. :D

2. I used to have a problem with the idle dropping too low when reversing and then dropping the clutch (or revving sharply when stationary) - this has disappeared and the idle just drops down to where it should and stays there.

3. I've got less/no white 'smoke' from the exhaust pipe now which is good, becasue I was worrying about that a little.

4. The car seems to start up quicker than before, as sometimes it would need 2/3 seconds cranking before firing up. Now it's 1 sec or so.

5. An intermittent minor misfire (or what felt like one) at very low speeds is no more!

6. This is the big one - The acceleration 'feels much smoother than before... Difficult to explain but the general feel you get throughout the car is smoother - almost making the car feel newer/younger if that makes sense.

On the negative side the injectors are noisier than my old ones with a more audiable clicking sound with the bonnet up. When the bonnet is down you can't really hear them, but they're definitely louder.

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED.
I read through this walkthrough a few times (http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_17.htm) and had a few hints off my good friend the Whiskychaser which were really useful, but I still managed to run into a few hiccups which I'll outline incase it's of any use to anybody in future:

1. The injectors didn't come out with the rail. I attempted to pry the rail up with a big bar while the injectors were still attached but the little black clips were about to ping off so I decided to remove the clips, pull the rail and then twist the injectors out of the intake. This worked but the injectors were in there pretty good and it took a LOT of elbow grease and a big pair of mole grips to get them out.

2. I couldn't get the wire harness out the way enough, there may be a trick for this but I couldn't find it. It didn't stop me doing the job, just made it more awkward to get at injectors #5/6.

3. I dropped one of the harness supports down towards the block and it got wedged in a really inaccessible place - this probably cost me 1/2 hour. :(

4. Getting the injectors in was a PITA. I eventually figured out that it's easier if you push them all up into the rail first, then push the rail downwards with the injectors to get them into their new homes. No matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't go in so I hammered the rail down using a metal bar (and hammering the end of this) and they went in with ease.

Hopefully this will save someone a bit of time in future! Even with my shredded knuckles and aching back I'm so glad I did it, it's made a world of difference to the car. :D

whiskychaser
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
4. Getting the injectors in was a PITA. I eventually figured out that it's easier if you push them all up into the rail first, then push the rail downwards with the injectors to get them into their new homes. No matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't go in

'Solution' : http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_vintage.php?filename=VA0245
Seriously impressed by the improvements you got!

632 Regal
03-22-2009, 07:00 PM
did you use oil on the O rings?

No matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't go in so I hammered the rail down using a metal bar (and hammering the end of this) and they went in with ease.

e34.535i.sport
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
did you use oil on the O rings?

Negative, although I wish I had :(