PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Lock Won't Lock

uscharalph
03-01-2009, 01:33 AM
The trunk lock on my new 1993 525i (M50) won't lock. The key will turn left but not right. I tried WD40 and Graphite Lubricant, but neither helped.

Is it possible that a severed trunk hing wire could cause this? Or a stuck actuator? Or possible the tumbler needs to be replaced.

I tried a search, but it was tough to come up with a good choice of search words to get a good result.

xspeedy
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I had a failure where the power locks weren't locking/unlocking the trunk. I replaced the actuator and it actually turned out to be the wiring harness at the hinge.

If you want to eliminate the actuator as a cause, just unhook it and see if you can turn the lock.

uscharalph
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks I'll check out the actuator.

632 Regal
03-03-2009, 02:46 AM
check the trunk hinge area, I'm having issues and isolated a wire that needs to be re-attached

Thanks I'll check out the actuator.

uscharalph
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a failure where the power locks weren't locking/unlocking the trunk. I replaced the actuator and it actually turned out to be the wiring harness at the hinge.

If you want to eliminate the actuator as a cause, just unhook it and see if you can turn the lock.
I pulled the actuator today and verified that that was the cause. Temporary fix as I can now lock the trunk and the door locks don't pop up once I lock the car.

Now time to find a reasonably priced replacement. The actuator I pulled was a KIEKERT and had the part # 67.11 1 387 609. The one's I saw on eBay looked like they'd work, but the holes didn't look like they'd line up.

xspeedy
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I pulled the actuator today and verified that that was the cause. Temporary fix as I can now lock the trunk and the door locks don't pop up once I lock the car.

Now time to find a reasonably priced replacement. The actuator I pulled was a KIEKERT and had the part # 67.11 1 387 609. The one's I saw on eBay looked like they'd work, but the holes didn't look like they'd line up.

Cool. BMA can probably get you a new OE one for around $50. If you want to go cheap, see if you can find a salvage one from a yard or part out. I got a Siemens unit from BMA, but my PN is different from yours.

uscharalph
03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
So I was searching different countries eBay sites for an exact match and accidently dropped the actuator. This freed up the mechanism. It was tightly stuck in the locked / in position. Now I can move it in and out.

Should I lubricate it with WD40 or something else?

uscharalph
03-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Got the now working actuator re-installed. Everything seems to work fine.