PDA

View Full Version : E34 M5 High beam issue - won't turn off...

kinn0031
02-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey all,

I've had a problem with my 1993 M5 for the last few months. The high beams won't turn off even with the ignition off and the key out. I had initially thought it was a LKM issue, but even with a replacement with a known working LKM, the problem persists. Is there another relay or could this simply be the high beam switch on the turn signal? If it is the switch, is there a way to test this to ensure that I'm not just throwing parts at the problem?

Thanks,
Mike

ArnZ!
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Ive had this problem too but with a couple of more tries at turning off the high beam it would eventually turn off.

I would also like to know how to fix this problem.

Ross
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
The crash control module has relay in it that if stuck will cause the symptom you descibe. It is in the front power dist box, a metal case. give it rap, if that doesn't work you could try opening it and playing with it.
If you need to replace it I'm sure I have one around. PM if you need it.

EDIT Not sure about the metal case.

kinn0031
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I tried this today and the high beams haven't come on inappropriately since. Is this typically a part that would need to be replaced with these symptoms, or do you think that the relay will still be OK for a while?

Thanks,
Mike

kinn0031
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
By the way, thanks for the help with this. I had thought I might end up pulling the steering column apart. I really appreciate the assist.

Mike