PDA

View Full Version : Centre Tie Rod... Anyone had success?

e34.535i.sport
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey guys.

Apologies if this looks a bit long... For a long time now my car's been quite noisy when going over small harsh bumps with a slight knocking noise on the front passenger side (LHD). It's also been difficult getting the steering aligned properly recently and the steering has a slightly 'loose' feel. It wasn't showing either symptoms when I bought the car however...

This is what I changed in order to try to fix it (a lot of these needed changing anyway so not a waste of time luckily enough!)

Lower control arms
Thrust arms + Powerflex bushes
Antiroll bar bushes
Upper shock mounts
Shock absorbers
Springs (for lowering springs)
Tie rod assemblies (Balljoints were absolutely knackered)

And maybe a few more things! Pretty much everything up front is new...

So, a picture on a recent thread brought my attention to the centre tie rod. I checked the 'pitman arm' and 'idler arm' a while back and they seemed solid, but I didn't even consider that the large centre tie rod could be the problem as I didn't know it had it's own ballljoints, and thinking back to how bad the boalljoints were on the tie rods I'm assuming these may be gone by now too.

I had a search and looking at it no-one seems to have ever had much success in changing the large centre tie rod - so I was wondering if anyone has ever changed it for whatever reason and had some success with it?
I've got one on order from GSF and can't wait to get it on. :p (Sad I know)

I also want to know how easy it is to change? It looks to me like I will need to have the front end completely off the ground - and not use the ramps due to the wheels not being connected to each other for adjustment etc. Is it a case of undoing two nuts, popping the two balljoints and pulling it off?

whiskychaser
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Garage said mine was shot when they did the MOT a couple of years ago so I let them replace it. Picked the car up just as the garage closed. First corner I came to I nearly put it in a wall as the steering didnt self correct any more! Took it back and they said the problem was because the new one was a different length from the old one. Tracking was therefore out a mile. They corrected it and its been fine since. So get the tape measure out or you might be scrubbing those nice new tyres

paanta
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Grab the thing and give it a damn hard shake. If it wiggles, replace it. If not, before you touch it I'd try adjusting the lash in the steering box and making sure the big 32mm nut on the steering column is in good shape. Those two things are the most likely culprit for loose feeling steering.

If you have to, the center link is pretty easy to replace if you have a ball joint puller (pickle arm will probably trash the TRE's). It shouldn't be too bad.

Also, make sure the sway bar end link bolts are nice and tight. Mine were rattling when the car was on the ground but NOT when the car was jacked up.

Good luck!

Hey guys.

Apologies if this looks a bit long... For a long time now my car's been quite noisy when going over small harsh bumps with a slight knocking noise on the front passenger side (LHD). It's also been difficult getting the steering aligned properly recently and the steering has a slightly 'loose' feel. It wasn't showing either symptoms when I bought the car however...

This is what I changed in order to try to fix it (a lot of these needed changing anyway so not a waste of time luckily enough!)

Lower control arms
Thrust arms + Powerflex bushes
Antiroll bar bushes
Upper shock mounts
Shock absorbers
Springs (for lowering springs)
Tie rod assemblies (Balljoints were absolutely knackered)

And maybe a few more things! Pretty much everything up front is new...

So, a picture on a recent thread brought my attention to the centre tie rod. I checked the 'pitman arm' and 'idler arm' a while back and they seemed solid, but I didn't even consider that the large centre tie rod could be the problem as I didn't know it had it's own ballljoints, and thinking back to how bad the boalljoints were on the tie rods I'm assuming these may be gone by now too.

I had a search and looking at it no-one seems to have ever had much success in changing the large centre tie rod - so I was wondering if anyone has ever changed it for whatever reason and had some success with it?
I've got one on order from GSF and can't wait to get it on. :p (Sad I know)

I also want to know how easy it is to change? It looks to me like I will need to have the front end completely off the ground - and not use the ramps due to the wheels not being connected to each other for adjustment etc. Is it a case of undoing two nuts, popping the two balljoints and pulling it off?

e34.535i.sport
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Garage said mine was shot when they did the MOT a couple of years ago so I let them replace it. Picked the car up just as the garage closed. First corner I came to I nearly put it in a wall as the steering didnt self correct any more! Took it back and they said the problem was because the new one was a different length from the old one. Tracking was therefore out a mile. They corrected it and its been fine since. So get the tape measure out or you might be scrubbing those nice new tyres

It was your thread that prompted me to post to be honest so thanks!! :D I'll check the size when I take the old one off... I'm hoping it's the same size to save messing with the tracking again, but hopefully after this and adjusting the steering nuts it'll be ok?!

e34.535i.sport
02-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Grab the thing and give it a damn hard shake. If it wiggles, replace it. If not, before you touch it I'd try adjusting the lash in the steering box and making sure the big 32mm nut on the steering column is in good shape. Those two things are the most likely culprit for loose feeling steering.

Hey thanks! I had the sway bar nuts making noise a while after I changed them too... Tightened them up and they've been sound since (no pun intended!).

I hate to ask because I've read up on this in detail, but you (or anyone out there!) couldn't give me an idiot proof explanation of how to adjust these steering nuts could you please?! I'm embarrassed to say I can't really get to grips with the explanation on Bruno's site... :( Step by step/pictures would be much appreciated - I don't want much do I? :D I have a 32mm spanner at the ready!!!!

Thanks in advance. :)

Jehu
02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Sway Bar Links were the first thing to come to mind about the noise over bumps. Replaced those and it was gone.. tightening wouldn't do it the ends were shot.. easy fix,had them done when I did the upper/lower control arms and tie rods but I left the center,pitman and idler arms in place.. sadly just six months later I'm beginning to feel the warbling again. Feels like a lame ball joint on a control arm... You really wouldn't believe how horribly bad the New England roads are... Two epic Winters with many sub zero days have wrought Hell on the Low Bid Winner Paving .Its F'ing Bloody Hell out there.. Honestly takes a huge chunk out of the pleasure of owning this car..

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/wash3.BMP

whiskychaser
03-01-2009, 06:03 AM
It was your thread that prompted me to post to be honest so thanks!! :D I'll check the size when I take the old one off... I'm hoping it's the same size to save messing with the tracking again, but hopefully after this and adjusting the steering nuts it'll be ok?!

Nice to have been use to somebody:D The centre rod does of course connect to the track rods, the arm off the steering box and its mirror on the nearside (pitman and steering arm resp. on realoem). So you have 4 ball joints to contend with. The 'steering arm' appears to have a rubber bush inside so that might be worth a look? BTW I must be losing it because I'm sure your first post says your car is LHD?

e34.535i.sport
03-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Nice to have been use to somebody:D The centre rod does of course connect to the track rods, the arm off the steering box and its mirror on the nearside (pitman and steering arm resp. on realoem). So you have 4 ball joints to contend with. The 'steering arm' appears to have a rubber bush inside so that might be worth a look? BTW I must be losing it because I'm sure your first post says your car is LHD?

LOL I think it's me who is losing it (If I ever had it!). RHD is what I meant to say! I reckon I am on to something with this one as the outer two balljoints were absolutely hammered when I changed them... So hoping these are goosed too! I checked out the ibush on that arm you mention a couple of months back and it was firm as you like... Keeping fingers crossed!!!

RX7guy
03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I replaced my center tie rod myself. It's just as easy as doing the outer tie rods.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35069

Scott C
03-01-2009, 06:00 PM
e34.535i.sport

I looked the list of things you changed - where did you tighten the steering column nut? - I strongly suggest doing that before you order your center link!
Symptom is slop in steering and clunk when moving wheel back and forth while not moving. It is an easy fix, takes only time.

Scott

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 06:40 AM
e34.535i.sport

I looked the list of things you changed - where did you tighten the steering column nut? - I strongly suggest doing that before you order your center link!
Symptom is slop in steering and clunk when moving wheel back and forth while not moving. It is an easy fix, takes only time.

Scott

I didn't but I holla'd to see if anyone can explain to me in absolute laymen's terms how to do it because I just don't really understand what to do! If you could give me some pointers it would be MUCH appreciated believe me!!! Thanks in advance! :D

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Really really impatient to find out how you adjust these steering column nuts...

Someone please help!!! :p

I wish I was of average intellect so I could comprehend the explanation on Bruno's site... :(

whiskychaser
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Really really impatient to find out how you adjust these steering column nuts...

Someone please help!!! :p

I wish I was of average intellect so I could comprehend the explanation on Bruno's site... :(
Do you mean the gland nut at the bottom of the steering column inside the car? Post the link and I will try to translate:)

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Do you mean the gland nut at the bottom of the steering column inside the car? Post the link and I will try to translate:)

LOL - I don't even know that! I have read what partly seems to be about the nut we spoke of briefly... But I'm sure people are suggesting there's one inside the car under the steering column too... A big one! :p

I sure hope you translate English as well as you do German! :D

Here's what I've been going off... http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Steering+box This explains how to adjust the nut you showed me on your car that time... But I'm still unsure of how to actually do it... Do I loosen the nut right off then tighten gradually whilst checking the heaviness of the steering do you think?

What about this 32mm nut?

I must be easily confuddled. ;)

whiskychaser
03-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Here's what I've been going off... http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Steering+box This explains how to adjust the nut you showed me on your car that time... But I'm still unsure of how to actually do it... Do I loosen the nut right off then tighten gradually whilst checking the heaviness of the steering do you think?What about this 32mm nut?

You may be better looking at this page:
http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Steering+play
Do the adjustment with the wheels on lock, not straight ahead. The steering box adjuster is a bit like doing a tappet - just a screw and a lock nut. Most important thing is to mark where the screw is now - you can always back it off to that mark if it all goes pear shaped. Undo the lock nut, tighten the screw a couple of minutes of the clock. Hold the screw firm, retighten the lock nut and check the steering isnt binding. The 32mm nut is at the bottom of the steering column inside the car. (Like the article says, grab the shaft above the steering box and wiggle it to see if you can feel any play first) The panel with the 'bong' in it will have to come out for you to see it. Dont overdo tightening it as that will cause the steering to bind too. ;)

e34.535i.sport
03-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Do the adjustment with the wheels on lock, not straight ahead. The steering box adjuster is a bit like doing a tappet - just a screw and a lock nut. Most important thing is to mark where the screw is now - you can always back it off to that mark if it all goes pear shaped. Undo the lock nut, tighten the screw a couple of minutes of the clock. Hold the screw firm, retighten the lock nut and check the steering isnt binding. The 32mm nut is at the bottom of the steering column inside the car. (Like the article says, grab the shaft above the steering box and wiggle it to see if you can feel any play first) The panel with the 'bong' in it will have to come out for you to see it. Dont overdo tightening it as that will cause the steering to bind too. ;)

Wo - That link makes much more sense! The one I found wasn't so clear... Feel like a muppet now but what's new... :p

The tappet thing now makes sense too... I'll use tip-ex or something I think to mark it... Really want to give it a go, should improve the steering as there's definitley play somewhere.

Just one more question, what panel are we talking about with the 'bong' in it?! I tried to take the big plastic cover off the steering column but it was having none of it... If I pulled any harder it felt like something was going to snap!

Thanks for the link and the help! :)

BigKriss
03-03-2009, 06:49 AM
awesome explination there. i need to muck around with this myself. i've always found the 32mm nut to be too stiff to move(unscrew) before

Scott C
03-03-2009, 07:17 AM
awesome explination there. i need to muck around with this myself. i've always found the 32mm nut to be too stiff to move(unscrew) before

Sorry guys, was out of touch. Yes, this is a great picture in the above link. I finally adjusted this after futzing about a bit with everything else. It is hard to turn but I turned mine quite a bit. If I had it to do over, I would have turned it so much that the telescoping column would stop working :)

Don't touch the steering box freeplay until you tighten this column nut, you will be wasting your time!

Removing the panels (front lower face and bottom above feet) is somewhat tedious but will go from memory. Remove the wood trim (if you have it). Remove the screws that are visible, there are 2 on each side of the column at the top. There is a black plate on the right side (center computer) that pops off (at least on my car with the trim) and exposes some screws - remove them. Then attack from underneath. There is also 1 (maybe 2 screws on the left side (US car) that are accessed by removing the decorative trim (not sure name) that goes around the door opening. The bottom panel then comes off with screws that are pretty visible.

Once you get that done, tighten the nut. I would suggest driving a day with the panels off. Then tighten again.

Scott

whiskychaser
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=e34.535i.sport;321060]
Just one more question, what panel are we talking about with the 'bong' in it?! I tried to take the big plastic cover off the steering column but it was having none of it... If I pulled any harder it felt like something was going to snap!

Thanks for the link and the help! :)[/QUOTE

Tried to take a pic but you can see sfa so this might help:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=51_2859&hg=51&fg=30 Sorry its for LHD - use a mirror?;)
The panel you remove is part 10 (right above the pedals) but you might need to remove part 2 to get at it. If so, the bonnet release handle will get in your way but its only a big x-head screw. There is a heater duct behind the panel and it should be attached on the left side as you look at it. So go gently!

i've always found the 32mm nut to be too stiff to move(unscrew) before
I wouldnt slacken off the nut, just tighten it if its loose and be careful it doesnt bind. May be wrong but I think it works like a cone so backing it in and out would be a pain to get it 'just right'

e34.535i.sport
03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=e34.535i.sport;321060]

Thanks for the link and the help! :)[/QUOTE

Tried to take a pic but you can see sfa so this might help:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=51_2859&hg=51&fg=30 Sorry its for LHD - use a mirror?;)
The panel you remove is part 10 (right above the pedals) but you might need to remove part 2 to get at it. If so, the bonnet release handle will get in your way but its only a big x-head screw. There is a heater duct behind the panel and it should be attached on the left side as you look at it. So go gently!

i've always found the 32mm nut to be too stiff to move(unscrew) before
I wouldnt slacken off the nut, just tighten it if its loose and be careful it doesnt bind. May be wrong but I think it works like a cone so backing it in and out would be a pain to get it 'just right'

You're the man... I was trying to get the platic off the upper part of the steering column as if I was going to hotwire it! LOL! :p

I might have a go tonight if it's light when I get in. I'll let you know how I go!

e34.535i.sport
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
So I adjusted the big 32mm nut! WOO Go me!

I managed to get the panel off the bottom of the steering column and only broke a couple of clips which was pleasing. I went with the monkey style by just pulling randomly at the panel without looking into it first. I don't know why I do it.

Anyway there was a sh*tload of play on the arm that has that big nut on it so I tightned it up a fair bit and the steering instantly feels much MUCH better! generally less sloppy which makes such a refreshing change!

I won't bother with the other nut as I'm happy with how it is for now and I'll change the centre tie rod anyway seen as it's on it's way and see how it feels. And get the tracking done... AGAIN :(

Well thanks for now and I'll get back once the tie rod is done and let you know how it is! :D