PDA

View Full Version : My monthly Trans Prog - harness location?

RobPatt
02-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi... the gremlin visits again.

Couple questions while I try to figure this out.

1. Will the Peake reset tool READ & RESET Tran Prog faults? (like will it give a code saying "AT SPEED SENSOR" or something?

2. HOT QUESTION - WHERE... is the eletrical harness for the tranny AT the tranny? I wanted to check wire corrosion, fluid ingress, etc to the connector but couldn't find it!

3. Are the tests in Bentleys for alternator, regulator, etc trustworthy?

4. Are the tests in Bentley's for the TPS good?
(did both alt and TPS and they were w/in specs...)

5. What about a test for the MAF?

- Already dicsonnected/cleaned/reconnected the tranngy EGS wire harness in the front right kickpanel.

GM "made in France" THM R1 (A4A 310R)
160,000 PLUS miles... SHIFTS GREAT...

About once a month I get the 3d gear trans prog deal... shut 'er down... wait, good to go for anohter month.

than you bimmernuts.
-Rob.

russiankid
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
1. No clue.
2. I believe its located on the passenger side on the transmission near the exhaust.
3. What do you mean trustworthy? A poor charging system will do funky things in these cars.
4. Again what do you mean good? If everything is within spec, the parts are fine.
5. Test the maf, if its not within spec replace it. If it is ok, buy CRC MAF Sensor cleaner. Carefully spray onto the MAF wire strip, let it dry, and reinstall.

whiskychaser
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
2. HOT QUESTION - WHERE... is the eletrical harness for the tranny AT the tranny? I wanted to check wire corrosion, fluid ingress, etc to the connector but couldn't find it!
Look high up in the transmission tunnel above the selector arm. Access is so limited on mine that when I changed the tranny i dropped it first and then disconnected the harness

RobPatt
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM
I'll still try to check it... but thinking if it's that high the chances of fluid leaking UP are slim....

will check that out closer next time.

Look high up in the transmission tunnel above the selector arm. Access is so limited on mine that when I changed the tranny i dropped it first and then disconnected the harness

whiskychaser
02-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I'll still try to check it... but thinking if it's that high the chances of fluid leaking UP are slim....

will check that out closer next time.

It wont leak uphill :D but I have heard of ATF creeping out between the pins of the socket (pic). I dont think Peake will read the tranny codes but stand to be corrected. Carsoft will if you know anyone who has it and I'd really recommend having the codes read as a first step. You can of course check the sensor reading at the EGS end with a DMM if you fancy standing on your head again
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/whiskychaser/Socketpins.jpg

ryan roopnarine
02-28-2009, 07:24 PM
have you pulled the easy to access cable off of the transmission yet? on my old transmission, fluid was starting to migrate out of the connector and into the wire harness plug. clean both of the connectors attached to the transmission out and see if that makes it any better.

ps...saw what you were looking for. i don't have the car here so i can't go out and tell you where to look, but bentley has pictures of both connectors attached to your transmission. one is easy to get at, and looks like an electrical connector, located by the back of the sump, inbetween the sump and the output flange. the speed sensor is on top of the output flange.

RobPatt
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Will check more closely... but had a light up there and all.... DID see what looked like a speed sensor for a diff... but on the tranny by output flange like you said....

was hesitant to even touch it... but except for 16 years of grime, didn't look really wet and nasty... will open and clean however... thanks... will get this licked sooner or later.

have you pulled the easy to access cable off of the transmission yet? on my old transmission, fluid was starting to migrate out of the connector and into the wire harness plug. clean both of the connectors attached to the transmission out and see if that makes it any better.

ps...saw what you were looking for. i don't have the car here so i can't go out and tell you where to look, but bentley has pictures of both connectors attached to your transmission. one is easy to get at, and looks like an electrical connector, located by the back of the sump, inbetween the sump and the output flange. the speed sensor is on top of the output flange.