PDA

View Full Version : Replace steering idler (Pitman) arm, engine mounts, transmission mounts?

pingu
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
My car will soon be at my Indy for a service.

Given that the car has 154,000 miles, would people recommend having the steering idler arm (Pitman arm) and bush changed while the car is being serviced?

(I've already has the steering box adjusted and the shocks, thrust bushes etc replaced.)

My car isn't worth much so I don't want to needlessly pump money into it, but would be interested to hear people's opinions on getting the steering idler arm and bush replaced.

Again, given the 154,000 miles, I'm also considering having the engine and transmission mounts replaced. Do people think the engine and/or transmission mounts would give any worthwhile improvement or would it be a waste of money?

Thanks for any advice!

dauchande
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
My car will soon be at my Indy for a service.

Given that the car has 154,000 miles, would people recommend having the steering idler arm (Pitman arm) and bush changed while the car is being serviced?

(I've already has the steering box adjusted and the shocks, thrust bushes etc replaced.)

My car isn't worth much so I don't want to needlessly pump money into it, but would be interested to hear people's opinions on getting the steering idler arm and bush replaced.

Again, given the 154,000 miles, I'm also considering having the engine and transmission mounts replaced. Do people think the engine and/or transmission mounts would give any worthwhile improvement or would it be a waste of money?

Thanks for any advice!
I replaced the engine and transmission mounts myself. The transmission mounts were easy, but there is *very* little room in there to manoeuver. The right engine mount was easy, the left sucked massively. I used two flex (u)joints and a lot of swearing, but it eventually came out. Definitely a 2 person job.

I've seen a massive change in the "tightness" of the car after putting in new engine mounts, not so much with the transmission mounts.

e34.535i.sport
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I found the engine mounts pretty easy and i'm no expert! The m30 set up is fairly easy to work with all round, but I can't really comment on any others... I'd do them& the tranny mounts yourself to save money in labour... Just take it to the garage when you really have to.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I found the engine mounts pretty easy and i'm no expert! The m30 set up is fairly easy to work with all round, but I can't really comment on any others... I'd do them& the tranny mounts yourself to save money in labour... Just take it to the garage when you really have to.

Yes, but I have the M60 (V8) engine (as does he) and it was a pain to change the left engine mount as there is like 1/2" clearance to slip in a socket and because of the angle, you cannot see the bolt, you have to slip it on by feel. It took me 20 minutes to do the right and 3 hours to do the left.

I was having problems with the engine leaning over and the fan blade putting a hole in my upper coolant hose. It also destroyed my fan shroud, but I didn't know that at the time. Fixing it on the V8 is pretty much a no brainer, do it!

Didn't know the idler arm was consumable, I learn something new every day on this board.