PDA

View Full Version : My throttle actuator doesn't match the pics

dauchande
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I purchased a replacement throttle cable because mine is really cracked and needs to be replaced.

I couldn't find any assistance on how to change the cable. The end that connects to the throttle body is straightforward enough, but the end that connects to the actuator makes no sense to me. Looking at the pictures on PelicanParts and RealOem, my actuator looks nothing like it, either that or my original cable came with some additional attachments.

Here's what the actuator is supposed to look like (from realoem) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/f/8.png

Here's some pics I took of the actuator on my car, the cable comes into the actuator on the right side of the image.
http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/2/26/f_PIC0156m_c009f07.jpg
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/2/26/f_PIC0157m_1d4af44.jpg
Is this some kind of aftermarket part, or are there just covers over the actuator that make it look different than the realoem picture?

Thanx

ps, any write ups on how to change the throttle cable, can't find anything in the Bentley manual?

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
The first picture looks like your cruise control actuator. I did a write up on this procedure here (http://patrickg.powweb.com/throttle.html). It should help answer any questions you have, but feel free to ask me anything I missed.

pingu
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
pgrindstaff has made a good point about the cruise control actuator.

Given that like mine it's a 540, I suspect your car also has electronic traction control. The traction control has a separate throttle that I think is upwind of the driver's throttle.

I had my indy replace the throttle cable so I can't give specific advice but I think it's just a matter of undoing some clips. On the plus side, replacing the throttle cable was the best money I've ever spent on a car - no notchiness afterwards!

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
The ASC Actuator is just about directly below the cruise actuator. Without removing the bumper, the method on my site is the best way to get to the ASC actuator to replace the cable.

And, like pingu said, there is definitely a difference in throttle response once you replace the throttle cable.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
The first picture looks like your cruise control actuator. I did a write up on this procedure here (http://patrickg.powweb.com/throttle.html). It should help answer any questions you have, but feel free to ask me anything I missed.

Thanks, I should have known that ASC+T would get involved somewhere in all this.

My question is why doesn't this show up in RealOem (since I used my VIN# when logging in)?

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Just so we are clear, what cable are you trying to replace? The throttle cable (from pedal), cruise control, or asc cable?

russiankid
02-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Realoem will list non-ASC parts and ASC+T parts. They should list both, but sometimes its under another section.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Crap,

Ok, looking at your instructions, I may have misunderstood all of this. What is the name of the cable that goes from the throttle body to the actuator(Bowden)? I think I ordered the cable that goes from the pedal to the actuator. I need to replace the cable that goes to the Throttle Body.

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 03:08 PM
The cable that goes to the throttle body, as shown in the realoem diagram in your first post, is for ASC.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
The cable that goes to the throttle body, as shown in the realoem diagram in your first post, is for ASC.

Ok, this is all very confusing. Are there 2 or 3 cables involved here?

1.) The cable that goes from the gas pedal to, I assume, an actuator (or does it go directly to the throttle body?)
2.) The ASC or Cruise Control cable that goes from the actuator to the throttle body.
3.) The ? (accelerator) cable that goes from the throttle body to ?

I have a replacement part for 1, I meant to change 2, and I'll have to pull off my engine cover to follow 3, and see if it needs replacement.

I'm pretty sure that my #2 cable is quite loose, it cannot be adjusted to take up the slack, and I know that my CC has never worked. Does the ASC cable also provide CC functionality, or is there a 4th cable I don't know about?

I swear, RealOem is not at all helpful about showing you where things connect.

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
There are only three cables. Your number 2 and 3 are the same cable. The cruise control and throttle cables both run to the same place, as seen in my instructions.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
There are only three cables. Your number 2 and 3 are the same cable. The cruise control and throttle cables both run to the same place, as seen in my instructions.

Maybe I should've just started here, does the cable from the gas pedal directly connect to the throttle plate?

If it does, then that finishes my questions for now as mine is fine and doesn't need to be changed. The cable from the throttle plate to the actuator in the front of the car (ASC) needs to be replaced, but since it isn't working anyways, I don't have any real incentive to fix it at this time as I have bigger fish to fry, like my ball joints.

Thx for all the help.

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Cruise control runs to the throttle plate along with the throttle cable. ASC runs to the throttle body. The cruise control actuator is what you have shown in the pictures you took.

dauchande
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Cruise control runs to the throttle plate along with the throttle cable. ASC runs to the throttle body. The cruise control actuator is what you have shown in the pictures you took.

Yeah, got that, but is there a direct connect between the *gas pedal* and the *throttle plate*. It looks like it to me, but without taking off my acoustic cover, I cannot tell for sure.

I'm no longer concerned with the ASC part at the moment.

thx

pgrindstaff
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, got that, but is there a direct connect between the *gas pedal* and the *throttle plate*. It looks like it to me, but without taking off my acoustic cover, I cannot tell for sure.

I'm no longer concerned with the ASC part at the moment.

thx

You are correct, it is directly connected through the throttle cable.