PDA

View Full Version : Dead OBC and Fuel Injector DME Faults

uscharalph
02-25-2009, 05:03 AM
So I had a pre-buy inspection done on my new 1993 525i (M50) and when they read the codes they got:

1254 Fuel Injector 4
1252 Fuel Injector 2
1256 Fuel Injector 6
1255 Fuel Injector 5

The OBC is also dead or possibly disconnected. One theory the mechanic had was that the OBC was reading these codes on startup and not allowing the car to start. So someone might have disconnected the OBC to work around this problem.

Does anyone have any similar experiences. I'm tempted just to plug in a spare OBC I have, but am wary of causing some headaches I might avoid, just by letting things be as they currently are.

whiskychaser
02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
So I had a pre-buy inspection done on my new 1993 525i (M50) and when they read the codes they got:

1254 Fuel Injector 4
1252 Fuel Injector 2
1256 Fuel Injector 6
1255 Fuel Injector 5

The OBC is also dead or possibly disconnected. One theory the mechanic had was that the OBC was reading these codes on startup and not allowing the car to start. So someone might have disconnected the OBC to work around this problem.

Does anyone have any similar experiences. I'm tempted just to plug in a spare OBC I have, but am wary of causing some headaches I might avoid, just by letting things be as they currently are.

The DME stores the codes. It may have faulty output stages or the injectors may be duff. I'd have a look at the injector wiring though, particularly the little brown earth wire that connects to a bolt on the stat housing.

uscharalph
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Turns out the OBC was either dead or the bulbs were out. I had time to pop in a backup OBC I had laying around and it works.

Now time to research and inspect those Fuel Injectors.