PDA

View Full Version : Chicago meet?

Macv
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Any chance another Chicago meet is in planning this year?

I'd love to debut my completely refreshed e34.

Sam-Son
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
come to the east coast you pansy

BMWDriver
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
lmao!

Macv
02-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I am Sam. :P

oorx7
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I would be down to meet some of the locals.

My car is not quite the way I want it currently, but maybe it will be done by the time of the meet.

Brandon

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I'd be up for it, when and where?

Maybe when the weather breaks a little though. Still pretty shitty out there.

oorx7
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Any one know Josh? not sure of his last name, but he used to be a big part of this community as far as I know. I meet him while he was interning with a race team. Seemed like a great guy. Any one still in contact with him?

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-25-2009, 11:39 PM
You might be talking about joshuagore, that's his handle on the forum. Great guy, I'll let him know that we're thinking about getting the "band" back together!

oorx7
02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Cool, I will keep tabs on this thread.

Sam-Son
02-26-2009, 12:45 AM
I am Sam. :P

you better with what is basically a brand new car theres no reason not to drive the hell out of it;)

Macv
02-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Just let me know any way I can help for this meet. I have nothing to sponsor, but I can sticky a thread and advertise it on BF.C if you wish.

you better with what is basically a brand new car theres no reason not to drive the hell out of it;)

It's not a new car. Just new engine, drivetrain, coolant and fuel systems, suspension, M5 interior, and exterior paint. :D

This summer it's coming with me on my east coast escape.

93AlpineII
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
I could likely make the drive from Louisville, KY again as long with enough advanced notice. anyone in my area or further south interested in a convoy up I-65??
It's usually difficult to schedule time / meeting point, but willing to try:D.

joshuagore
03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Josh thats me!

oorx7
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey josh, it's brandon. Did you buy another e34? We need to get together soon. Check out my web site. www.cj-motorsports.com

I can supply a place to meet at for the get together. We have a rather large private parking lot. Loacated in West Chicago il. 60185. The building could have limited access for bathrooms and such.

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
He bought Scott's. He's been working on plugging some oil leaks. I got a big oil spot in my driveway he needs to clean up! lol

632 Regal
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm game... not to clean up the spill or anything but come to the festivities.

paul p (chi-town)
05-09-2009, 01:51 PM
So ... i’m up for this.

Let’s double check the midwest BMW CCA schedules to avoid a conflict and start throwing around some dates.
http://www.windycitybmw.com/Calendar/Calendar.aspx
http://www.badgerbimmers.org/main/article_68.shtml
http://www.hoosierbmw.com/Events.htm
http://www.michiana-bmwcca.com/events.htm

June, Jul or Sept?

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 145K, ‘Helga’ ( Shleppen Schnell mit “Musique ... nonstop” *dances* )
92 BMW 325i 165K, ‘Rolf’ ( Euro vision equipped, ghetto Naka install *woot* )
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Uber heated seat & rust holes *shakes head* )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, killer mpg, way more fun than a prius *grin* )

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

632 Regal
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
June?

So ... i’m up for this.

Let’s double check the midwest BMW CCA schedules to avoid a conflict and start throwing around some dates.
http://www.windycitybmw.com/Calendar/Calendar.aspx
http://www.badgerbimmers.org/main/article_68.shtml
http://www.hoosierbmw.com/Events.htm
http://www.michiana-bmwcca.com/events.htm

June, Jul or Sept?

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 145K, ‘Helga’ ( Shleppen Schnell mit “Musique ... nonstop” *dances* )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, killer mpg, way more fun than a prius *grin* )

- Hunter S. Thompson

Craig Wright
05-17-2009, 02:07 AM
June 26-28 works for me. I'll be in town for a college reunion. Will I be an outcast for driving the E39? The manual is just more fun than the auto!

paul p (chi-town)
05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
June 26-28 works for me.

Um,
That's the same weekend as the Windy city track school at Gingerman. Might have a few local possible attendees going. But if we get enough others liking that date...

Another problem with June is that it doesn't leave alot of time for securing a picnic grove, if there's any available. Any other ideas? Can we do it where we did it last year?
I am in for taking care of food. I promise to be on time.
*shakes head*
If my fellow 'caterers' are running behind, they can catch up later.

Hang up & Drive!
“When everyone is thinking alike, someone's not thinking."
- General Patton

632 Regal
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Anything?

Black 535i
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Shame if we start not getting together after all these years!

632 Regal
06-13-2009, 07:19 PM
No kidding! Half way through June and nothing... Was looking forward to Brandons moms cooking :) Ah well the cars clean so I guess it was worth it.
Shame if we start not getting together after all these years!

Jr ///M5
06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
The groves at the park where we had our meets in the past were obtained on January 2nd by Brandon and Scott. They were the ones that put up the money to rent the space for our annual meet.

A meeting at the park groves is impossible this late in the game. This gives you an idea of the planning that went into the meets, many months before the event was to be held, not only the grove, but the menus, gift certificates, and lodging were all planned out way back in the Spring. To plan an event now would mean we would be meeting in the late Fall.

Although I only played a small part during our Summer Chicago Picnic, many others worked their asses off to insure that everyone that attended had a place to relax, eat, talk about the 5 series, were rewarded for their efforts in BMW 5 series, and had a place to go to the bathroom.

It wasn't long before the event turned into a part time job for those that were providing the food, and fees necessary for all of us to enjoy the day. In the end, the ones that did all of the work, enjoyed themselves the least, and that my friend, is NOT what we are about. Think about this......it all started with a BBQ grill in the trunk and a half a dozen people and their cars, it turned into a major production, especially the year with the editorial in Roundel.

My hat is off to the people that worked so hard during the past to make this event a reality and the bond it gave to this board. If it never happens again, we'll have our memories to hold onto. For those of you that traveled many miles despite the price of fuel, I'm glad you were a part of it. I'm sure it was worth the trip. I know it was for me.

Remember the reason we are here, once a tight knit group that would give each other the shirt off their backs. In these times, I doubt you would get the time of day...

People that make a difference are the ones that apply themselves, thanks to the ones that applied themselves in our past. Without which, this board wouldn't exist...

Just my humble opinion,

JR

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I know it's a lot of work. Brandon and Scott were always the real drivers, and yes, it's certainly too late to get a picnic area now. I wish I had the time to help organize it, but I just seem to be so busy all the time.

I wonder if someone calls Josh, if he would do the thing at his dads place like he did last time. That was the last great get together we had. I'd be sorry to see it end.

Wishin we would be there!

joshuagore
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I know it's a lot of work. Brandon and Scott were always the real drivers, and yes, it's certainly too late to get a picnic area now. I wish I had the time to help organize it, but I just seem to be so busy all the time.

I wonder if someone calls Josh, if he would do the thing at his dads place like he did last time. That was the last great get together we had. I'd be sorry to see it end.

Wishin we would be there!

Someone called Josh ;)

I appreciated the phone call and will do my best to secure a date for us at Three R Plastics. I will keep everyone in the loop in the next few days.
Josh

paul p (chi-town)
06-17-2009, 08:17 PM
OI!!
We’re pulling out the violins already?

While for securing a PRIME location it may be too late all is not lost. ‘Specially if really all we need is room for the cars and permission to cook meat over fire. Yes clean bathrooms are nice, functional is all that is needed. It’s not that complicated, just tedious occasionally. Having corporate sponsorship is nice but it’s hardly at the core of why we show up.

I think setting the date is more a matter of when organizers are available and so is the space.
While obviously expectations are high considering one of our gatherings was an article in ‘Roundel’, these events do have humble beginnings.
A splinter off a ‘fly’.
*wink*

None of my snark is meant to detract from the work that has previously been put into this, obviously.

In the meantime. As long as the date does not conflict, i’ve got tens of people fed.
I promise to show up on time .. ish.

Location is being worked on as we speak...

Hang up & Drive!
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( terminal *shakes head* )

- Hunter S. Thompson

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
yay!

Game on. Pick a date Josh and we will be there.

Jr ///M5
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
[

Paul, paul, paul.....there are people that drive for miles and miles and they still show up before you! :p

It would be good to have an ol' fashioned get together.

Ear is to the ground listening for the rumble of the E34 gathering.

JR

joshuagore
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
OI!!
We’re pulling out the violins already?

While for securing a PRIME location it may be too late all is not lost. ‘Specially if really all we need is room for the cars and permission to cook meat over fire. Yes clean bathrooms are nice, functional is all that is needed. It’s not that complicated, just tedious occasionally. Having corporate sponsorship is nice but it’s hardly at the core of why we show up.

I think setting the date is more a matter of when organizers are available and so is the space.
While obviously expectations are high considering one of our gatherings was an article in ‘Roundel’, these events do have humble beginnings.
A splinter off a ‘fly’.
*wink*

None of my snark is meant to detract from the work that has previously been put into this, obviously.

In the meantime. As long as the date does not conflict, i’ve got tens of people fed.

Location is being worked on as we speak...

Hang up & Drive!

- Hunter S. Thompson

All is well I believe we will be good for a Saturday or Sunday at the end of July. Anyone want to lock down a date? If my Fiat isn't done its going to be in the background and make the pictures much prettier ;)

Josh

paul p (chi-town)
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
All is well I believe we will be good for a Saturday or Sunday at the end of July. Anyone want to lock down a date? If my Fiat isn't done its going to be in the background and make the pictures much prettier ;)
Josh

Josh!!
You in the city? Ever work on diesels?
Marine preferably....

LOL

Considering we're only getting april showers this week. I'm not too concerned about August being that hot ... OTOH, Sept is not a bad bet either. We should just start posting up ‘can’t make’ dates and take from there.
Definitely out for me will be Chicago air show weekend (need to look it up), July 11 and Oct 17.
Like i said, we should try not to conflict with Windy City BMWCCA events either. While WE have a penchant for 5ers, it wouldn’t hurt to involve the BMW community in general.
In fact we should feel free to invite other car minded peeps we know to show.
Specially if they drive FIATs, Volvo’s or MR2s.
*raised eyebrow*

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty,
than to those attending too small a degree of it."
– Thomas Jefferson

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I vote for a Sunday so I could be there the whole day. You know, the life of a car sales guy, I got to work Saturday.

Josh

joshuagore
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Ok MotoGP weekend of August 30th is out. We will be out :)

Most other weekends are good for me.
Josh

paul p (chi-town)
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I vote for a Sunday so I could be there the whole day.We call this a categorical imperative.

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Categorical Imperative,

Paul, have I ever said your nuts!

lol, yeah well, I'd be there after work, and I'd leave work early anyway, But I've never been able to be there for the whole meet. So I guess I would call it exactly that, at least in my book, a categorical imperative it is! roflmao

We call this a categorical imperative.

joshuagore
07-04-2009, 12:55 AM
So did we pick a date, I want to firm things up.

Josh

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Josh, you're supposed to pick the date! It's at your place! Make it a Sunday and I won't have to work.

paul p (chi-town)
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Josh, you're supposed to pick the date! It's at your place! Make it a Sunday and I won't have to work.Ummm,
Ya'll wanna eat?

This has been a little on teh back burner for me, we're getting audited by the EPA next week. Sorry.
Once that passes (like a kidney stone) i'll have much more time to devote for planning this. We can come up with a firm date this weekend to keep panties from getting any more bunched.
As a positive, i've spoken to Patrick at BMA and we should be getting a little somethin-somethin for our festivities.

Josh, PM me yer digits.
Ed, i could use yer snail mail addy.

P

Fetch
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I would love and most probably be able to come out to a Sat or Sun meet :)

Qube
07-10-2009, 12:07 AM
For those of you that traveled many miles despite the price of fuel, I'm glad you were a part of it. I'm sure it was worth the trip. I know it was for me.

Ha. Don't remind me of the fuel cost. You'd also need to arrange some activity. The Chicago karts were awesome.

A few months ago, I noticed the same issue of Roundel on the rack at the local dealer and immediately flipped to the meeting pics. Good times.

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Sept 20 has been tossed around as the date to meet. I'll text Josh and let you all know what he thinks. What you all think!

joshuagore
07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
September 20th it is!

I like the idea of doing a later day, maybe meeting around lunch and having an afternoon event? Or maybe even going for a drive? It's always discussed, but everyone plans around the day, and when it comes time for a drive, everyone is pooped. Maybe a few guys want to drive up to somewhere in Wisconsin for some cheese? Backroads to Mars Cheese Castle?

I have a single tent, some chairs, and a grill.
Josh

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Good deal. Let's bimmer out, and rock n roll.

Josh, your text finger broke! lol

Sam-Son
07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
September 20th it is!

I like the idea of doing a later day, maybe meeting around lunch and having an afternoon event? Or maybe even going for a drive? It's always discussed, but everyone plans around the day, and when it comes time for a drive, everyone is pooped. Maybe a few guys want to drive up to somewhere in Wisconsin for some cheese? Backroads to Mars Cheese Castle?

I have a single tent, some chairs, and a grill.
Josh

pics of the FIAT please

Triton540i
07-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Why don't we plan for another 5er gathering in Chicago for next year?!? If we can put something together EARLY, the I don't see it as a problem, that is unless the economy totally implodes and explodes leaving us to walk to Chicago.

Just because the e34 celebrated it's 20 year anniversary, doesn't mean we still can't gather. I didn't go to the reunion because it wasn't in Chicago... keep it in Chicago and I'll drive from Minneapolis to get my butt there!

Who's game for next year?!

-Eric

joshuagore
07-26-2009, 03:45 PM
pics of the FIAT please

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3715039013_8faac68359.jpg?v=0

The build can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25344475@N04/sets/72157605566054905/

A few days ago I popped the pinion so I am looking for a new ring/pinion.
Josh

Bimmer Nut Ed
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Excellent, September 20th it is!

Josh, we need an address.

joshuagore
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
On September 20th we will be meeting at
Three R Plastics
1801 Holian Drive
Spring Grove, IL 60081

dacoyote
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Not that anyone cares, however I may try to make it....

bimmerd00d
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
If i can scrounge up some cheap plane tickets, the g/f and I may head up. Lots going on right now.

Black 535i
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I did not see that info anywhere in here.

632 Regal
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
7:00 AM make sure the car is clean.

:D

I did not see that info anywhere in here.

joshuagore
09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.joshgoreworks.com/2009e34meet.pdf