PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, this question is about a car

Ross
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Lifted from another forum;

"How to use iDrive, it limits to only 5 entries, cannot rotate to get more entries
I recently bought a pre-owned 2007 530i, i am struggling with my idrive system. For eg. if i insert my CD with say 10 tracks, the list shows only 5 and iam not able to rotate idrive to see next 5 tracks, it is stuck. I can use the steering buttons but that is not that helpful when you have 10 folders in your mp3 CD. Only first five folders are shown nor the idrive or steering button naviages to next folder.

Same thing with my voice command, from my address book i can see only 5 entries no way i can navigate to other entries.

Is it a limitation or i have to change any setup to see more entries, please advice.

Britney"

part of the ultimate driving experience I suppose.

Rus
02-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm willing to be that the use of the iDrive is explained in the owner's manual. I know most of today's luxury cars come with several volumes of literature detailing the use of their super duper features. Unfortunately, it is all too common for people to not read anything at all, much less owner's manuals. I've never used the iDrive system, but I can't imagine BMW would have made such a silly mistake in their system's menus. On the other hand, she does say that "it is stuck". Maybe its broken physically? Like from having coffee poured on it?

nirvana19
02-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it were actually a malfunction, though I think most of the complaints with iDrive are with people not understanding how to use them, the controller is susceptible to failure, she should just visit the dealer and if it is that simple she'll be sorted in short time

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
First off, I'd suggest making sure the vehicle has the latest software installed. They often come out with versions, and your car should still be under manufacturers warranty. Heck, might as well just report the problem to the SA and see if they can address it.

Ross
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
My point here guys was that this is indicative of the priorities today for "drivers".
Between this ****in' thing, a cell phone, latte' and pilot with two X chromosomes I'm scared to go on the road.

xspeedy
02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
My point here guys was that this is indicative of the priorities today for "drivers".
Between this ****in' thing, a cell phone, latte' and pilot with two X chromosomes I'm scared to go on the road.

Don't forget that the web is in the car too. People are going to be surfing a BMW board looking up valve job instructions while driving home. When they get home they'll get on the web and post asking for the best body shop in the area.

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, yeah, I missed the point. Anyway, I do think a car is also a great listening device. Listening to your radio loudly and driving go hand in hand since I was a teen. So, I'd have to say, song selection may very well be important. And yeah, too much electronics, but cars have always had electronics, there's just more! Screw the latte and the cell phone though, I'm with you!

tim eh?
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
part II - "this is really turning into a problem because i keep driving through stoplights while i'm trying to flip to my zamfir folder."

Sam-Son
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Lifted from another forum;

"How to use iDrive, it limits to only 5 entries, cannot rotate to get more entries
I recently bought a pre-owned 2007 530i, i am struggling with my idrive system. For eg. if i insert my CD with say 10 tracks, the list shows only 5 and iam not able to rotate idrive to see next 5 tracks, it is stuck. I can use the steering buttons but that is not that helpful when you have 10 folders in your mp3 CD. Only first five folders are shown nor the idrive or steering button naviages to next folder.

Same thing with my voice command, from my address book i can see only 5 entries no way i can navigate to other entries.

Is it a limitation or i have to change any setup to see more entries, please advice.

Britney"

part of the ultimate driving experience I suppose.

I think the solution would be to buy a better car. eg. an older one