PDA

View Full Version : Really, REALLY tempted on Miller MAF conversion...

e34.535i.sport
02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
At the current price it seems like I'd be a fool not to get one! I emailed over a couple of things that were worrying me but they haven't got back to me yet- 1: Whether the chip they supply will be suitable for my Euro spec car without a CAT. And 2: What the score is on import tax to the UK as I don't want to be hit with a massive bill once it gets here!

Anyone know more?!

Also, it says on their site they now have a connector to save splicing the wires but you still need to create a 12v power supply - Is this difficult to do? Could I do this myself without too much addition cost?

Please excuse my ignorance, I know less than nothing about electronics. :p

whiskychaser
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
At the current price it seems like I'd be a fool not to get one! I emailed over a couple of things that were worrying me but they haven't got mack to me yet- 1: Whether the chip they supply will be suitable for my Euro spec car without a CAT. And 2: What the score is on import tax to the UK as I don't want to be hit with a massive bill once it gets here!

Anyone know more?!

Also, it says on their site they now have a connector to save splicing the wires but you still need to create a 12v power supply - Is this difficult to do? Could I do this myself without too much addition cost?

Please excuse my ignorance, I know less than nothing about electronics. :p

You can find out the rate of duty from HMC&E on 01702 366077 but you need the long 'tariff number' from the supplier. (Everything has a unique number so customs around the world know what it is and what to charge.)
If the delivered value is £100 and rate of duty is 5% you of course pay £5 duty. But VAT is calculated on the value PLUS the duty ie £105 x 15%.
Somebody will have to put the paperwork into customs and you will get a charge for that too. I think the post office is only about £8 but check anyway. In practise, if its just sent in the post it will probably arrive at your door without any charges or hassle at all.
If your battery is under the bonnet, you could simply run a wire direct from the + terminal and protect it with an inline fuse. Not elegant but very quick and easy;)
Edit: something like this should do the trick:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-12V-3-5-12-Gauge-Waterproof-in-Line-Fuse-Holder-30A_W0QQitemZ370164764256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car s_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item370 164764256&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

e34.535i.sport
02-25-2009, 07:30 AM
If your battery is under the bonnet you could...

And if it's not?!!!! :p

whiskychaser
02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
And if it's not?!!!! :p
IIRC your inlet manifold is above your starter. So you could take a live off the solenoid + terminal. You want the one where the big chunky cable from the battery connects. Of course you could tap into your fuse box but I'm just trying to keep it simple;)

nariusb
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I just installed Miller Maf and can tell you this was the best investment ever. I've got a myself a completely different, more responsive, faster car and AVG 20mpg economy now.
Couldn't be any happier. I installed a CAI with straight pipe and K&N generic filter. It was easy since it's a direct mount to a gen III MAF now, no adapters needed.

myles
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I just installed Miller Maf and can tell you this was the best investment ever. I've got a myself a completely different, more responsive, faster car and AVG 20mpg economy now.
Couldn't be any happier. I installed a CAI with straight pipe and K&N generic filter. It was easy since it's a direct mount to a gen III MAF now, no adapters needed.

Can you post a photo of your new setup? What was your fuel consumption like before the upgrade?

BigKriss
03-02-2009, 05:40 AM
why not just go with a ready made megasquirt setup with map sensor and tune yourself on the road.

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 06:37 AM
why not just go with a ready made megasquirt setup with map sensor and tune yourself on the road.

To be honest I don't know much at all about this megasquirt business... I've heard a few people mention it on the board but never looked into it. Any info greatly appreciated! :D

Haven't heard back from Miller yet... It's been a while too. :p

nariusb
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
The megasquirt would be a lot more complicated and expensive to install for me. This maf setup was easy to install, and very effective. Can't go wrong.
My millage before was around 17mpg.
The pic shows generation III Miller Maf, it's a very much simplified setup, plug and play, only had to solder power to MAF. Since I didn't reuse factory air box I didn't need to purchase $45 adapter.
My setup is not the prettiest but it works. I'll fabricate the custom heat shield before summer, though it shouldn't get much heat in that spot.

myles
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
The megasquirt would be a lot more complicated and expensive to install for me. This maf setup was easy to install, and very effective. Can't go wrong.
The pic shows generation III Miller Maf, it's a very much simplified setup, plug and play, only had to solder power to MAF. Since I didn't reuse factory air box I didn't need to purchase $45 adapter.
My setup is not the prettiest but it works. I'll fabricate the custom heat shield before summer, though it shouldn't get much heat in that spot.

With a little tidying up of the cai it should be great. Thanks for the info, its some good food for thought. I think I'm going to go with the gen 3 option in a few weeks. I'm not a big fan of map units, so I think megasquirt is off the shortlist.

e34.535i.sport
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Hmmmm... I'm attracted to the MAF genIII for the price as it seems really reasonable.

What benefits have you noticed since you put it in if you don't mind me asking? Mileage? Drivability? Acceleration? Idle quality?

Looks like you've put a lot of work into your set up... I was hoping for a really neat exchange using the factory airbox and just a straight swap for the AFM/MAF - Is this going to be possible? I don't mind buying the adapter they're selling if it keeps it as 'normal' looking as possible. Not putting yours down in any way there by the way just personal preference for me to keep it 'looking' stock-ish. Obviously the power cable will need sorting but... Ooh before I forget how did you sort the 12v power source?

Thanks in advance! :D

nariusb
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
In short the throttle response was significantly improved, no hesitation, a bit more torque.
Highway passing is done with easy now. It's an m20 you know so it requires every bit of help. My fuel millage is up from 17 to 20 MPG. Idle is lower, almost to the point of choking, but never does, might have to play with the cable a bit?!
In short I Hope it will stay this way.
The cold air setup might be a factor in this too, I think.
If you get the adapter then straight swap is possible. It's so light it will just float to the right of factory air box.
The instruction will clearly explain how to get 12 v. It's from the ECU harness. You just cut one wire and solder it on to another. Very easy.

bubba966
03-02-2009, 10:04 PM

I hate to be the one to say it. But your "CAI" is sucking in warmer air than the factory air box was. As your filter is now sucking in the air from the entire engine compartment it's not as cool as the air that the factory box was getting from behind the headlight.

You're probably not getting as much air flow with that filter either. The factory panel filter flows a very large amount of air.

BMW did a damn good job on their air boxes. There isn't really much improvement to be had by changing it. And in most all cases changing it results in worse than stock performance.

BigKriss
03-03-2009, 06:36 AM
mye28.com in forced induction has a good thread on it. jon k also knows a lot about it. hit him up.

To be honest I don't know much at all about this megasquirt business... I've heard a few people mention it on the board but never looked into it. Any info greatly appreciated! :D

Haven't heard back from Miller yet... It's been a while too. :p

nariusb
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
It's hard to see from the pic but actually the filter is right against the front of the car headlight since the plastic headlight cover is removed, it's getting a lot of fresh air there. I will be installing a metal heat shield to the right of the filter later on as well.
I agree though BMW design is good only the filter is more restrictive, that's all.