PDA

View Full Version : New Throwing Stars!

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Finally got a nice set of T-stars... Car looks so much more natural with these on - it was meant to be!

BEFORE:
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/2/22/f_TStars001m_ee8cf36.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/2/22/f_TStars001m_ee8cf36.jpg&srv=img19)

AFTER:
http://img18.picoodle.com/img/img18/3/2/22/f_TStars002m_4a134ef.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/2/22/f_TStars002m_4a134ef.jpg&srv=img18)

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/2/22/f_TStars006m_fce5340.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/2/22/f_TStars006m_fce5340.jpg&srv=img02)

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/2/22/f_TStars005m_37194eb.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/2/22/f_TStars005m_37194eb.jpg&srv=img26)

Thanks for all the advice guys, chuffed with the new look! :D

leicesterboy15
02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Looks much better, much less wideboy! I had the same wheels as you when I bought the car and switched them for mpars. It should ride better on 17s as well.

bubba966
02-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Looks good for reps. So you do have them pointing in the other (wrong) direction on the other side of the car?

IMO T-Stars are the best looking wheel for an E34. Second best would be ACS Type II's (single piece version). M-Pars come in third. And I wouldn't care for anything else on an E34.

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks much better, much less wideboy! I had the same wheels as you when I bought the car and switched them for mpars. It should ride better on 17s as well.

Thanks! And yeah I've found it rides much nicer with the 17s... Less harsh over rough surfaces and bumps etc. Although it seemed to corner ever so slightly better with the other wheels - weird?!

Overall I'm really pleased with them though!

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Looks good for reps. So you do have them pointing in the other (wrong) direction on the other side of the car?

IMO T-Stars are the best looking wheel for an E34. Second best would be ACS Type II's (single piece version). M-Pars come in third. And I wouldn't care for anything else on an E34.

Yeah they go the other way on the other side! I would've liked them to all go the same way but for that price i couldn't pass them up. :D

I agree - I like the T-stars and the M-pars but I'm not sure what the other ones are like, but I think I'll have a look! :D

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I just need a new signature picture now. I wonder if my good friend the Artguy is still working his magic... (Hint hint! LOL! :D)

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm just wondering, what tyre pressure do you use with your 17s? I had mine at 32psi but just pumped them up to 35 and it feels better. I know it varies from tyre to tyre but just interested...

bubba966
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I think mine are at 33 front and 38 rear. Running Michelin PS2's 235/45/17.

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I think mine are at 33 front and 38 rear. Running Michelin PS2's 235/45/17.

Hey thanks... I've got some cheap tyres on there as the PS2's are quite expensive... Max inflation on these is 40psi so I didn't want to stress them too much! Hopefully 35 all round will be a good compromise. :p

bubba966
02-22-2009, 02:03 PM
40 max? What's the load rating on them?

Try running the front a little softer than the rear. Like 33 or 32.

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 02:26 PM
40 max? What's the load rating on them?

Try running the front a little softer than the rear. Like 33 or 32.

The Load Index is 97 and they're W rated... Grip is AA and Treadwear is 280.

I'll drop the front a little and see how it goes...

bubba966
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Hmm, a LI of 97 is certainly enough for an E34 (minimum is 93 I think, maybe 94). Surprising that the max PSI is 40.

bubba966
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Some pics of ACS Type II's (one piece version) are here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/78659-picture-thread-59.html#post1322502

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Some pics of ACS Type II's (one piece version) are here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/78659-picture-thread-59.html#post1322502

Hmmm... Yes I've saw those before I think - I would definately rate M-Pars above those personally! Still, you can't beat the T-stars! :D

whiskychaser
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Looks much better, much less wideboy!
x1. They look very tidy indeed. Hope you got some locking wheel nuts;)

e34.535i.sport
02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
x1. They look very tidy indeed. Hope you got some locking wheel nuts;)

Not yet!!! It's been a few days now and I'm just impressed it's not sitting on bricks... And I've been to Oldham! :p

leicesterboy15
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Not yet!!! It's been a few days now and I'm just impressed it's not sitting on bricks... And I've been to Oldham! :p

What? you mad man! First priority tomorrow! Skip lunch and get yerself down to halfrauds!

e34.535i.sport
02-23-2009, 07:11 AM
What? you mad man! First priority tomorrow! Skip lunch and get yerself down to halfrauds!

LOL you're right... would you beleive it - the dealer wants £30 for a set and can't get them until wednesday, motorworld haven't got any for my car and Halfords want £36 for them!

I've got to give it to the guy on the counter though... He told me £36 - That's a bit steep I said, to which he replied "Welcome to Halfords". LOL :D

BMWCCA1
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah they go the other way on the other side! I would've liked them to all go the same way but for that price i couldn't pass them up. :DSo, are these "replica" one-piece wheels, or did you just get four of the same wheel inserts by mistake??

bubba966
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM
So, are these "replica" one-piece wheels, or did you just get four of the same wheel inserts by mistake??

He said (in the thread when he asked about fitment of them before he bought 'em) that they're one piece wheels. Pretty good looking for one piece reps IMO.

BMWCCA1
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
He said (in the thread when he asked about fitment of them before he bought 'em) that they're one piece wheels. Pretty good looking for one piece reps IMO.
Ahh! So the deterioration in handling he's experiencing now could be (beyond that possible from inferior tires) the extra weight of the replicas, if in fact they're heavier than whatever those were that were taken off.

e34.535i.sport
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks man... Hey I was looking at the tyres again & meant to ask about this max pressure thing- On one part it says "never inflate beyond 40psi ... when seating beads" (Or something very similar) and on the other side it says "max load 1730 at 49psi" (IIRC) - So is the max pressure 40 or 49psi???

You finfd there's a lot more info on the sidewall than it first appears when you take a good look at it!!! :D

bubba966
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Ahh! So the deterioration in handling he's experiencing now could be (beyond that possible from inferior tires) the extra weight of the replicas, if in fact they're heavier than whatever those were that were taken off.

Well, since he's now got more sidewall using 17's instead of 18's like he had it'd negatively effect cornering. The weight of the wheels shouldn't do too much to the corner capabilities vs. what the difference in tires is doing. His 18's were reps as well, so they might've been as heavy or heavier.

Really just think the difference in cornering capability he's experiencing is due to the taller & different make of sidewall on the 17's vs. what he had on the 18's.

Thanks man... Hey I was looking at the tyres again & meant to ask about this max pressure thing- On one part it says "never inflate beyond 40psi ... when seating beads" (Or something very similar) and on the other side it says "max load 1730 at 49psi" (IIRC) - So is the max pressure 40 or 49psi???

Ah, so max psi is 49, not 40. That sounds more like it. Go ahead an try 33f/38r and see how that is.

e34.535i.sport
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

I was interested in the weight difference myself tbh and it was part of the reason for changing as the old 18" wheels seemed really heavy! Whilst swapping them over I tried to feel for weight difference but there wasnt much in it at all... I wasn't anal enough to get the bathroom scales out though!!! :p

I checked out all the tyre ratings and the new tyres are superior to or equivalent to the old ones in every aspect so I'm assuming the slightly softer feeling in the corners is due to the small increase in profile size of the tyre... It's certainly enough to make an improvement to the ride quality generally on rougher surfaces though (and over bumps!) which was another reason for the swap!

BMWCCA1
02-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Last time I put my snows on, mounted on real E34 M5 17" wheels, I checked and they weighed something like eight pounds less, with no fans, than my 17" OZs—and you could tell it in the handling.

e34.535i.sport
02-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Last time I put my snows on, mounted on real E34 M5 17" wheels, I checked and they weighed something like eight pounds less, with no fans, than my 17" OZs—and you could tell it in the handling.

The difference there is one set of your wheels is OE and one is an alternative 'make' which is likely to be much heavier... BOTH sets of my wheels are REPLICA wheels and hence a similar weight. If there is a difference I would imagine the 17s are lighter than the 18s simply due to size.

freerider
02-24-2009, 03:50 AM
I need to find some decent wheels for my car now. Those reps look very good!

BMWCCA1
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
The difference there is one set of your wheels is OE and one is an alternative 'make' which is likely to be much heavier... BOTH sets of my wheels are REPLICA wheels and hence a similar weight. If there is a difference I would imagine the 17s are lighter than the 18s simply due to size.Actually, there is quite a difference in weight even among "replicas" and other after-market wheels, which is why I mentioned it in your case. It surprised me on the OZs since this brand and style (OZ Saturn) is actually OE for Lotus, a marque known for making their cars quicker by making them lighter. Or perhaps the original Motorsport I-beam wheel is just that exceptionally light and well engineered. ;)

Counting the tires, there's not much difference in weight between a 17 and an 18. The tire generally loses a pound as it gains an inch and the wheel makes it up.

bsell
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM

You finfd there's a lot more info on the sidewall than it first appears when you take a good look at it!!! :D

The 40psi when seating bead is a lawyer-based statement. Can you imagine the lawsuit that brought this mandatory statement? Some yahoo pumping endless pressure in a 'dry' tire trying to seat the bead, then the bead releasing past its seat on the rim edge and possibly sending parts of the tire into the yahoo...hence the 'do not exceed' pressure statement.

49psi is the max 'working' pressure. Given the couple psi rise as the tire temps climb, the tire may see low to mid 50psi in normal use...

Hope this makes some sense,

Brian

e34.535i.sport
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Firstly, let me apologise profusely if my "replica" wheels and "inferior" tyres have offended you in some way.

Actually, there is quite a difference in weight even among "replicas" and other after-market wheels, which is why I mentioned it in your case.

Yawn... Be this as it may, as I said before I lifted both wheels (one in each arm) simultaneously and I found them to be very similar in weight. I certainly couldn't have made a decision on which one was heavier... and yes, they were both pretty heavy.

e34.535i.sport
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
...get yerself down to halfrauds!

LOL again - Got a set today with two keys (I tend to lose things!) so feeling a bit more secure now. Gutted my old ones won't 'work' with these wheels... They're really good they have real keys and everything! :(

Paul in NZ
02-25-2009, 02:35 AM
i run higher pressure n that...more like 38f 40 rear,i think thats what the M5 runs with 17's

leicesterboy15
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Firstly, let me apologise profusely if my "replica" wheels and "inferior" tyres have offended you in some way.

Yawn... Be this as it may, as I said before I lifted both wheels (one in each arm) simultaneously and I found them to be very similar in weight. I certainly couldn't have made a decision on which one was heavier... and yes, they were both pretty heavy.

Why what tyres do you have and why are they inferior? I got a pair of Avon zzr3's with 100miles on them for £110 and a pair of goodyear eagle F1s with about 200 miles on them for £50! Thats including delivery, add £15 to fit and that equals a pretty good deal in my book! I have no complaints about any of them, the avons stick like glue although the goodyears do spin every now and then but then they are on the back!

I don't mind admitting I bought part worns but they checked out well and are premium tyres. If you can get good quality for a good price why pay more? You're likely to need the extra cash for something else e34 related in the not-too-distant future!

BMWCCA1
02-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Chill dude! You're the one who said it:

I've got some cheap tyres on there

e34.535i.sport
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Chill dude! You're the one who said it:

LOL I'm always chilled! :D

I said I had cheap tyres on there not "inferior" as you put it... I was only trying to explain that the tyres are better rated than the previous ones I had on despite them being cheap!!

e34.535i.sport
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Why what tyres do you have and why are they inferior? I got a pair of Avon zzr3's with 100miles on them for £110 and a pair of goodyear eagle F1s with about 200 miles on them for £50! Thats including delivery, add £15 to fit and that equals a pretty good deal in my book! I have no complaints about any of them, the avons stick like glue although the goodyears do spin every now and then but then they are on the back!

I don't mind admitting I bought part worns but they checked out well and are premium tyres. If you can get good quality for a good price why pay more? You're likely to need the extra cash for something else e34 related in the not-too-distant future!

Your not wrong there! :D I think I'll be looking into a new centre tie rod shortly :( ... and maybe a Miller MAF (if they ever get back to me) :)

There's no shame in buying part-worns that's what I've always had in the past, I just wanted to start with a new set as I was having the tracking done and putting the new wheels on... Plus for the difference in price between four part worns and four brand new tyres I was better off going for the new ones in the end. I had to travel up to macclesfield for them but it was worth it! Mine aren't a brand name as such but they only cost me £180 for all four brand new - the ratings as I put on earlier seem really good in comparison to a lot of other tyres despite the price... which is good! And after reading that thread about 'old' new tyres I was glad to know they were only made on the back end of last year! :D

whiskychaser
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Mine aren't a brand name as such but they only cost me £180 for all four brand new - the ratings as I put on earlier seem really good in comparison to a lot of other tyres despite the price... which is good!
£180 for four?!!! I pay that for two. Must be 'T' rating :D Either way I really like your wheels and have invested in one of these:
http://www.motherofallcordlessimpactwrenches.com/

e34.535i.sport
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
£180 for four?!!! I pay that for two. Must be 'T' rating :D Either way I really like your wheels and have invested in one of these:
http://www.motherofallcordlessimpactwrenches.com/

I'll have to show you where the place is when you need some replacements! :D I don't know if you're serious over 'T-rated' so I hope I haven't missed a joke somewhere (LOL!) but they're W rated which I'm assuming means wicked-good! :D

LOL I've got locking nuts now so can it take those off?!!! :p

whiskychaser
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I'll have to show you where the place is when you need some replacements! :D I don't know if you're serious over 'T-rated' so I hope I haven't missed a joke somewhere (LOL!) but they're W rated which I'm assuming means wicked-good! :D

LOL I've got locking nuts now so can it take those off?!!! :p

I think 'T' stands for tractor. But I've been told they are good to 90mph. They werent too clear about what happens at 91mph:D W is for whisky so they should be ok. The nice man at Halfrauds had lots of spare keys for me as I claimed I lost mine;)

e34.535i.sport
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
W is for whisky so they should be ok.

LOL!!!!!! :D I like it. Whisky-rated - can't be bad!

The nice man at Halfrauds had lots of spare keys for me as I claimed I lost mine;)

Ha ha ha, luckily I got them from somewhere else where they make their own! I won't divulge where... Just incase. ;)

whiskychaser
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Ha ha ha, luckily I got them from somewhere else where they make their own! I won't divulge where... Just incase. ;)
Bought that Snap On job for nothing then :(

e34.535i.sport
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Bought that Snap On job for nothing then :(

There's still that guy with the "m3(18)" down the road from you... He has nice wheels :D

whiskychaser
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
There's still that guy with the "m3(18)" down the road from you... He has nice wheels :D
He's changed cars about 4 times since. A 1.8 with a wonky M3 badge on the back is really sad. And I'm not stooping to wheels off his current vehicle - a Peugeot van!!:D

ILoveMPower
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Hey message me a picture I'll be happy to make you a new signature

If you are partial to your old one I'll try to recreate it.

e34.535i.sport
03-03-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey message me a picture I'll be happy to make you a new signature

If you are partial to your old one I'll try to recreate it.

Hey thanks I will do! :D I love the old one but if you fancy having a play around that wouls be nice too! (I don't ask for much do I?!)

Now to clean it and get some nice pictures...