PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid leak

ScottyWM
02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Noticed a small puddle under my touring today. Turns out it's brake fluid. Appears to be leaking from the bottom of the expansion tank where it fits into the master cylinder. And the tank "feels" a little loose, it wobbles side to side pretty easily. Looking at RealOEM, it looks like the tank just sets into the cylinder with some plugs holding it on. Maybe my plugs have hardened?

Anyone else had this problem? (Haven't noticed any decrease in braking ability)

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-21-2009, 10:04 PM
You need new grommets.

I had the same thing happen to me.

Just don't drive the car unitl it's fixed.

Rinse any leaking fluid off of the car's body, it will remove the paint.

remove the reservoir tank, clean it.
Remove the rotted grommets and carefully clean any crap out of the master cylinder inlets. Keep the inlets topped off with fresh, clean brake fluid to prevent any air entering the system.

pop in the new grommets and wet the reservoir nipples with brake fluid and firmly press and wiggle into place.

refill and tap on the reservoir and master cylider to make sure no air is trapped.

Tiger
02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Common problem. You can just change those grommets... available at dealer.

ScottyWM
02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah it took the paint off where it dripped down.

russiankid
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Had the same happen to me. This is a great time to change the brake fluid too. That is what I did.

ScottyWM
02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Okay, got my parts in yesterday and went to install them today. They are different than the originals. Looks like they will work okay though, what do y'all think?

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/371/371092/folders/282967/2393014brakegrommets.jpg

And one of the old grommets had the metal insert in it. Although this would fit into the new grommet, I can't get it installed that way. And even if I did, the shorter length of the grommet means that the reservoir nipple would push it out. So I'm just going to leave it out. Should be okay, shouldn't it? Or is it required (what does it do)?

BTW, looking at my old grommets, they deteriorated quite a lot. And bending them just a bit makes them crack and split. This should be a preventative maintenance thing at about 100K-150K miles for all you guys who haven't changed them yet.

Tiger
02-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, new is different from old and they work.

russiankid
02-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Weird, the grommets I got from the dealer were exactly the same except the new ones were round up top not a hexagon.