PDA

View Full Version : M50 noisey lifters when hot?

Aussie525i
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

Any ideas on a noise which appears to be coming from the front of the engiene? It is fine on start up, and when cold, has the normal M50 start up rattle in the lifters for half a second, then is quiet. It only makes a tapping noise when it is hot, and you rev it, then back off back to idle, then it will tap, tap, tap for about 10 seconds, then go quiet again.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

David

xspeedy
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Have you had a good injector/engine cleaning lately? Not Techron in the tank, but something like the BG44 cleaning done at a shop? I had odd cold engine tapping noises that went away after doing this. I guess a lot of carbon can lead to weird noises.

russiankid
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Vanos likes to make noises when its showing signs of wear, and its located in the front of the engine.

xspeedy
02-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Vanos likes to make noises when its showing signs of wear, and its located in the front of the engine.

Yes, and having just replaced mine using drvanos' kit, a worn out VANOS sounds kind of like a diesel at idle. If you rev it, you'll hear another loud noise under the hood that has been described as rocks in a can. To me it sounds more like a coarse metallic buzz that is obvious from the VANOS unit itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxd-O6NtDc

russiankid
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Does your idle still lope a bit after you released the throttle? Mine does the exact same thing. It will lope down to 600rpm, and then come back to normal idle.

Aussie525i
02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Is not the Vanos. I had the Vanos replaced a year ago, and I know that sound. It is different to the vanos noise. Revs don't dip after reving. It just sounds like a metalic tapping sound, then disappears agin. I was thinking it could be the timing chain? Do you think the chain could make that type of noise, or is it likely to be a lifter?

yaofeng
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
The hydraulic lifters making sound on a cold engine is quite normal. Oil drains out of the lifters gradually when the engine is shut down. If the noise disappears when you give gas or when it is warmed up I wouldn't worry about it.

russiankid
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I've never heard of M50's having issues with the timing chain. What weight oil do you use?

Aussie525i
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Castrol Magnatech 10w - 40w

bmwrp8
02-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Castrol Magnatech 10w - 40w

try using 15w-50w or 20w-50 and see if it goes away... but i use the same oil as you in all my bmw even the m54 but no ticks. wouldn't hurt also if you check your chain and vanos too it''s better to know the problem while it's in its early stage:)

whiskychaser
02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I've never heard of M50's having issues with the timing chain.
The 'M50 Slipped Chain Club' is very exclusive and the joining fee is extortionate.

russiankid
02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
The 'M50 Slipped Chain Club' is very exclusive and the joining fee is extortionate.

Huh, never heard of them having issues.

I use Castrol GTX 10w30 and mine doesn't tick. You may have a sticky lifter, but it would tick when cold too. I would look into the Vanos unit and timing chain. Use a screw driver to narrow down where exactly the noise is coming from. Just place your ear onto the screw driver handle.

Aussie525i
02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks. I am going to try Mobil 1 5w-50, and see if that makes any change. I will let you know what happens. What do you think about additives, such as Nulon lifter cleaner??? Not sure if I want to put stuff like that in the engine?

bmwrp8
02-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks. I am going to try Mobil 1 5w-50, and see if that makes any change. I will let you know what happens. What do you think about additives, such as Nulon lifter cleaner??? Not sure if I want to put stuff like that in the engine?

umm..my personal opinion I'd stay away from additives

russiankid
02-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Any type of additive to clean the engine can result in leaks. Its a possibility that the sludge and gunk is preventing the seals from leaking. A cleaner will remove the sludge and gunk and the seals will leak.

Aussie525i
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I had a good listen over the weekend, and I am quite sure it is coming from the VANOS. Again, it is only when the enigine is hot, and is not not the rattle it had before I changed the Vanos. It is just a Tap, Tap Tap sound after it rests back to idle, and then disappears. I still need to try the Mobil 1 5w-50, but not sure if this will make any diference now that I do't think it is the lifters.