PDA

View Full Version : auto box in 1995 525 doing some strange things

Lordsneldon
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
The 5 speed auto box in my 95 525i is acting strangely.

When in neutral, park or any gear there is a ticking noise which is apparent when the car is stationery, which is coming from the gearbox. I have gotten underneath the car whilst it has been running and the ticking noise it most apparent from near where the gearbox meets the engine. Somebody said it could be the oil pump in the box maybe??.
The other thing it does is sometimes when i come to a standstill for a second and then accelerate again it doesnt seem to engage a rear, i.e it will creep forward and then tou feel a violent thud and then the car is in gear. This doesnt happen all the time though, and also sometimes when its changing gear it appears to slip, but again this doesnt happen all the time and thirdly, when the car is going into 3rd gear, at brisk acceleration, (i.e entering the motorway) just as it's about to select 3rd, it jumps out of gear (as if youve kicked down) then goes back into 3rd after about 2 seconds and then it will go into 4th????? it does this everytime. any ideas guys??:)

xspeedy
02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Not to bring up the obvious, but have you checked your ATF level?

russiankid
02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Mine ticks too and I've heard its the torque converter. I doubt its the cause of your problems, but like xpseedy said check the ATF level.

bmwrp8
02-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Not to bring up the obvious, but have you checked your ATF level?

x2 check or better change atf and trans.filter then do a computer reset

Omega
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Sounds low on ATF this is usually the cause of not engaging Drive initially until pressure has been built up.

I thought the 5 speed is "sealed for life", therefore has no dip stick?

bmwrp8
02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds low on ATF this is usually the cause of not engaging Drive initially until pressure has been built up.

I thought the 5 speed is "sealed for life", therefore has no dip stick?

it's suppose to be filled with "lifetime ATF" but I personally don't believe that crap! In my opinion new gm tranny's usually fail because stealer says you need not replace the ATF

Omega
02-20-2009, 10:28 AM
it's suppose to be filled with "lifetime ATF" but I personally don't believe that crap! In my opinion new gm tranny's usually fail because stealer says you need not replace the ATF

I fully agree that their definition of "Lifetime" is about 100k miles. "Warrenty Life" is more realistic!

We seem to be at crossed purposes, the question I was asking was how do you check the ATF fluid level without a dipstick? I have often wondered this.

Russell
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
This may not apply since you have 5-speed auto in a 525i. However, I would consider changing fluid and filter.

In the US, the 95 i525i s not a sealed lifetime trany. It is a French made GM 4-speed automatic that use Dexron II, III or VI ATF fluid. In this trany fluid and filter should be changed on a regular basis such as 30,000-40,000 miles. Do not power flush.

There is no trany dipstick so getting the proper fluid level is extra work. If needed do a search on how.

bmwrp8
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I fully agree that their definition of "Lifetime" is about 100k miles. "Warrenty Life" is more realistic!

We seem to be at crossed purposes, the question I was asking was how do you check the ATF fluid level without a dipstick? I have often wondered this.

http://www.bmwe34.net//E34main/Maintenance/Transmission/Data/E34%20Autotrans.pdf :)

whiskychaser
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
My guess is you have same tranny as me - the 5HP18 a.k.a A5S310Z. If the plate is black it will take Dexron. If its green it will be the life time stuff. The 'creep' could be caused by the selector cable not being adjusted correctly. You just put it in park, undo the bolt/locknut at the end of the cable and push the lever coming out of the gearbox fully forward. Do the same with the selector lever itself. Then retighten. No change may mean the clutch 'A' pack is stuffed. If you are getting a thump when going into D or R, check your idle isnt too high. Max is about 1500rpm when stone cold but mine never goes above 1000rpm anyway. The other symptoms could either be clutch faults or faults in the valve body. First thing I'd do is get codes read. Then I'd drop the oil pan and look for swarf and friction linings in the bottom of the pan. If there is a lot, the tranny may well have had it. The valve body can be dropped with the tranny in the car but if the clutches are shot it means taking it out.

632 Regal
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
from below, with trans hot and idling in gear you remove the plug and add til it runs back out
the question I was asking was how do you check the ATF fluid level without a dipstick? I have often wondered this.

Lordsneldon
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah the oil level is cool. The oil cooler bust and i replaced it, and topped u, that was about 6k ago.

The box is one of these so called sealed for life laughs!!! i suppose bmw reckon 'life' is 100k, :D

There is no dipstick which is a right pain in the arse, the only way to top up/check the level is undo a big allen bolt on the underside of the box!! what a silly silly design!!!

The fluid does seem dark though??? thanks for your help