PDA

View Full Version : rear window will not go up?

Russell
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Rear driver's side window will not go up. Goes down fine. when I push the button o go up I hear the motor but it does not go up unless I "help' by pushing up on the window. Window seems a bit loose in it's track

Is the track or motor going bad? Archives seemed to indicate possible regulator gear problem.

glen-sj
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
First check to see if the window is binding. The rubber weather strip around the window could be dislodged, causing the window to bind. If no binding, then it is most likely the window lifting mechanism is the cause.

There are nylon guides that run on tracks to guide the movement of the window as it travel up and down. One of these nylon guides maybe cracked. There is one guide that is located behind the top track, you must look behind. One of the mechanism arm is snap onto this guide, this guide is probably crack and not able to hold the arm. If this is the case, you'll need to replace the entire lifting mechanism, since this one guide is not sold separately. Maybe you'll find one off a junker.

ScottyWM
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Of course, you've already tried holding the switch on while slamming the door to un-jam it I hope. But re: those nylon guides, I bought those from BMA with no problem. I was amazed at what I found when I took off the door panel. There are, what, around 4 of those nylon guides, and every one of mine was cracked and falling apart in pieces. Some still seemed to be doing a half-assed job, but just barely. I replaced them all without having to remove anything. Drilled out some rivets holding everything to the door that had worked loose and replaced with sheet metal screws. Window works like new. Should do the other windows too, but those guides weren't exactly cheap. If it's loose in the track, this is probably the problem.

On a different door, the screws holding the window motor to the gear mechanism had stripped. Being unable to easily get in there and drill out and retap anything, I forced in some oversize bolts (with loctite) and secured the motor to the mechanism with heavy wire (an old wire shirt hanger would work) to restrict any separation. This has held for... geez at least 8 years now.

Russell
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Of course, you've already tried holding the switch on while slamming the door to un-jam it I hope. But re: those nylon guides, I bought those from BMA with no problem. I was amazed at what I found when I took off the door panel. There are, what, around 4 of those nylon guides, and every one of mine was cracked and falling apart in pieces. Some still seemed to be doing a half-assed job, but just barely. I replaced them all without having to remove anything. Drilled out some rivets holding everything to the door that had worked loose and replaced with sheet metal screws. Window works like new. Should do the other windows too, but those guides weren't exactly cheap. If it's loose in the track, this is probably the problem.

On a different door, the screws holding the window motor to the gear mechanism had stripped. Being unable to easily get in there and drill out and retap anything, I forced in some oversize bolts (with loctite) and secured the motor to the mechanism with heavy wire (an old wire shirt hanger would work) to restrict any separation. This has held for... geez at least 8 years now.

Thanks for the good advice. Did not try to slam the door. Will do so. it would go down just not up.

Tiger
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Had that happened... just slam that door hard and then try up again. Hasn't happened again ever since. 6+ years.

xspeedy
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
If the slam thing doesn't work, just order a new window regulator and replace. Some of the nylon guides (at least the one that broke on mine) can't be replaced.

Russell
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Got the window down and can not get it back up. My indy is going to look at it first thinng in the morning. Too cold for me to even look at it. I need a heated garage!