PDA

View Full Version : Beware maguires leather Conditioner/Cleaner

Jehu
02-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I tried this stuff and even though I read on the bottle to test for color fastness I ignored the warning . I couldn't imagine how anyone could market a product as a leather Cleaner if it actually lifted Dye from leather... I guess Maguires can.. I haven't seen it in the light and I just tried it on the Passenger seat but it looked to me like Dye had come up on the towel and the seat looked like color had faded where I used it.. Unreal, so use that stuff at your peril..

I've used Leatherique several times but while it cleaned somewhat I never really thought it did so great a job..

Has anyone here used their Dyes? Parchment in particular... OE quality results?

shogun
02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
did you shake the bottle well before use?
A good mixing of the 'ingredients' is very important.

Jehu
02-15-2009, 11:17 PM
did you shake the bottle well before use?
A good mixing of the 'ingredients' is very important.

Apparently not good enough.. the Air was cold though too,probably should have waited though I had the Seat Warmers activated for a while before application .. well live and learn.. disregard my slam on this prodcut if its just user error..

shogun
02-16-2009, 12:24 AM
I have a friend in Germany in that businss, he is supplying a lot of leathercare products to the E34 and 7-forum members, also to me and friends here.
He is always worried that the leather refresher gets spoiled on the shipping. He just sent me another bottle for someone here with a special colour mix. He mentioned expressly that I should always keep the bottle in a heated room, never below zero. If the product is during transport for some hours below freezing point, it gets spoiled. The phases separate completely.

here some instructions how to do:
http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Permanent-Painted-Coatings/Leatherique-leather-care-available-from-Permanent-Painted-Coatings-n671819

632 Regal
02-16-2009, 12:42 AM
ditto time for a new seat or at least a new seat cover. Followed the directions to the T and did the previous die removal so I could redo them... what a mess, was much better before touching them.

On a good note a lot of people like the product!

freerider
02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Try either Chemical Guys - Liquid Leather, or lederzentrum products

Ross
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
You may have lifted a respray applied if your car ever saw a used car lot. I'm pretty sure BMWs hides are dyed through.
In either case one of the outfits that caters to the used car business ought to be able to fix you up.
Lexol has always done well for me as well as Effax Lederbalsam which is a German product sold in tack(saddlery) stores here. Effax, I feel is better but is more time consuming to apply.

Jehu
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
In the light of day i think i can say it isn't as bad as I first believed. The hazy paleness I saw may just have been the unabsorbed/dried residue immediately after application and in the Parking Lot Light it appeared as though substantial dye had come up and of course I may have gotten used to the amount of dirt but the White Terry Cloth I used did have stuff the color of the Dye on it after the application. The product is a lighter beige and of course dirt is black so the darker beige seemed to me to be dye. Day light however does not reveal a deeply faded, washed out seat as I feared it would. I'll give the other products mentioned a shot. Thanks.

Tiger
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I use Leatherique... only use during hot season. I never clean leather during winter.. you can't get the leather pore to open up in winter.

If your seat is redyed or resprayed, nothing would clean good... You are just trying to clean the the surface on these seats.