PDA

View Full Version : do style 5"s come in 17" and 18"

Unregistered
06-04-2004, 05:21 PM
My buddy's trying to tell me he saw some style 5 18's. if so will they fit the e34?

Unregistered
06-04-2004, 09:09 PM
bump

George Mann
06-05-2004, 08:56 AM
no. 5's were offered on the E-38 in fact in 18's. No.5's in 18" dia. are relatively rare however. Personally I would opt for the 17 inch version for a little more side wall. Keep in mind the E-38 has a taller tire height than the E-34....so E-38 tires generally won't fit...but rims will fit.
HTH,
George

Unregistered
06-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Yes they did in 17" and 18". However, 18" Style 5 is very rare. Both the 17" and the 18" will fit E34. Also, 17" require hub rings since it was designed for E39 but 18" is hub centric to E34 since it was designed for E38 so you do not need the hub rings.

My buddy's trying to tell me he saw some style 5 18's. if so will they fit the e34?

DueyT
06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Some 17" #5's are not E39 hubcentric, but actually E34 wheels. I double checked mine just to make sure there wasn't a ring unknowingly stuck into the wheel's hub. I second what George said, though...18's would be a very harsh ride. Some holes I go over with 17's...I'd swear I bent a rim...nope, just a very stiff sidewall.

Cheers,
Duey

George M
06-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Duey wonder if the no. 5's you are refering to that are not hubcentric to E-39 cars and are hubcentric to E-34's are really 3-piece BBS RS wheels? Don't think there is a no.5 2-piece BBS cross-spoke wheel hubcentric to the E-34.
Correct me if I am wrong or if you have a set on your car :-)
George

George M
06-06-2004, 10:37 AM
other thing that matters is...shock valving has a lot to due with weathering pot holes over and above side wall height that generally relates to ride stiffness and of course wheel integrity itself. I knew a guy in that had 3-piece BBS RS wheels on his 750 which is a gorgeous and quite rare wheel on these cars and a bit more common in Europe and he had to give them up because he kept bending them..and they were 17's. These cars are heavy and pretty unforgiving on wheels if you don't have enough sidewall. Stock Boge versus Bilstein or Koni shocks do help however...not only a more comfy ride but less initial shock when hitting a big pot hole....even with a lowering spring.
George

DueyT
06-06-2004, 01:59 PM
George, I'll take a closer pic of the inner hub of my wheel next time...there's a lot of OEM BMW markings and BBS markings, but I can't recall seeing any RS designator. I think my wheels are 2-pc vice 3-pc, although I could be wrong. I'll let you know what I find out.

p.s. Yup, Biltstein Sports do make for a "F"irm ride! :D

Cheers,
Duey

George M
06-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Duey...if yours are hubcentric, please post a close up pic if you get a chance.
Thanks,
George

DueyT
06-06-2004, 08:41 PM
George...piccies as requested...this is the rear wheel. None of the pics had a good closeup of the hub area since my batteries were low on the camera and the flash wouldn't work. I can asure those interested that these are hubcentric as there were no cheap plastic or more expensive steel gings either on the hubs or inside the wheels mounting surface.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/No5_hub.jpg

I looked at them today. Definately BMW spec by BBS, but I could only see "RG 038" as an apparent model identifier, vice RS.

Oh, you're right about the 3-piece wheel, George. Upon closer inspection I see that its an outer and inner section sandwiching the spokes...all held together with what I understand are titanium rivets. Dang, these be strong wheels!

p.s. double dang...these E34's are nice looking cars!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540rtqtr.jpg

Cheers,
Duey