PDA

View Full Version : Rust around windscreen and doors

myles
02-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Guys I thought it might be worth mentioning the problems that I'm having with rust on my car. I live in an area where rust is not common so was surprised and disappointed to find it. I don't live too close to the coast and it doesn't get cold enough to use salt on the roads. Cars normally have sun damage rather than rust.

I've found minor rust under the lower door trims on 3 of the doors. This is not totally surprising given the age of the car and also that it had the old style of trims on the problem doors. The older trims have some sort of metal inner structure that eventually rusts and then causes rust on the door itself. The newer trims appear to be a different design.

The big surprise is the rust under the windscreen. With the glass and trim in place no problem was visible. My windscreen cracked in two places which can only really be blamed on the rust causing movement. When the glass was removed it revealed some significant rust. This was most likely caused by poor workmanship when the old windscreen(aftermarket Moran) was installed. The installer probably didn't prime and protect bare body metal that was exposed during the removal of the original glass. I have also heard that there may be some possibility of a rust causing type of sealant that may have been used for the old windscreen. I'm still looking into this to make sure that it can't happen again.

The moral of the story is that for those of you who plan to keep your cars for many years these are some areas that are worth checking and fixing before the problem is beyond repair.

uscharalph
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Are you talking about the windshield?

xspeedy
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Are you talking about the windshield?

I'm quite sure.

windscreen = windshield
bonnet = hood
boot = trunk
BL = Yugo

myles