PDA

View Full Version : @ Bill R. : your ideal tool set for BMW

shogun
02-07-2009, 06:44 AM
on German Ebay from an ex BMW dealer workshop, all special BMW tools with wall boards. Buy now price 'only' EURO 8.999,99 = approx US$ 12.000

or for the hardcore DIYer :)

Many pics
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180319402058&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

Kibokojoe
02-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Now all I have to do is become a doctor so I can have the money to purchase it

Bill R.
02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
anytime soon... but it is a bargain compared to the email that Snapon sent me with the latest tool "deal" a 24 piece 1/4 inch drive set for only 396.00http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/7800/125TP.JPG

Kinda makes that bmw toolset seem very reasonable.....

on German Ebay from an ex BMW dealer workshop, all special BMW tools with wall boards. Buy now price 'only' EURO 8.999,99 = approx US$ 12.000

or for the hardcore DIYer :)

Many pics
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180319402058&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

Kibokojoe
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah they are proud of their tools. Mechanics at work use them a lot, but then again they don't pay for them. Myself I am a Craftsman man. If it breaks I can get another one for free.

Ross
02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Sometimes I wonder who buys this stuff, really $400 for a 1/4" drive set, better come with dancing girls.
Then I wander into the local BMW/MB/Porsche store service dept. where some of the toolboxes are as large as a Tokyo apartment

Bill R.
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Sometimes I wonder who buys this stuff, really $400 for a 1/4" drive set, better come with dancing girls.
Then I wander into the local BMW/MB/Porsche store service dept. where some of the toolboxes are as large as a Tokyo apartment

I can tell you exactly who buys it... A friends shop that i use when i need a lift has a few other shops right next door to him and when the snap on guy comes rolling up its always the young kids just starting out that are buying the tools from him...Us older guys rarely buy any from him, mostly just warranty.
Snap on offers those weekly payment plans for new mechanics/"techs" and i see these poor kids buying an 8 k roll around box, no tools just the box.
I shouldn't talk really because my first set of tools was snap on but it was just the basics and was a lot cheaper relatively than it is today. And usually you learn quickly to buy snap at the used tool store/swap meets or you buy the returns from the snap on man. With these payday payments there are a fair amount of repo's by the snap on man..

Snap on is still great stuff but the much cheaper competition has gotten much better over the years also and the market is much more crowded now.
If i were just starting out now there is no way i'd start with snap on, and thats a shame because i would prefer to support an american tool company if possible.

Edit, i actually know of one guy who's wife divorced him over his "tool" habit and in my mind she was justified.

Tiger
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
LOL... yeah I know what you mean. My friend is a mechanic too... he too spent alot of money on the Snap On tools and he is always broke! Can you imagine that? He still is broke today... 14 years later. Hell, at least he stopped buying tools.

Kibokojoe
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
My friend/mechanic has > $80,000 USD in his tools but don't tell his exwife :-)

Ross
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
A lot of empty spots on those boards.
I wonder if the seller will go around the shop retrieving all the tools missing that have been absconded by his mechanics before shipping?

shogun
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
shop is closed already. The tools are on offer since almost 2 years, and price is going down. About 1 1/2 years ago the price was abt. 25-30% higher.
That seller is specialized in buying stuff from closed shops/factories etc. and offers them then on Ebay.