PDA

View Full Version : OT: From my traffic accident investigation manual on burnouts

DanDombrowski
06-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I just had to share this with you guys. I'm reading up on studying different kinds of tire marks for use in forensic evidence in doing accident reconstruction as an intern for an engineering company. This is a quote from the book:

"Roadway "artwork" is produced, usually by smartaleck drivers, who back up and then shift gears to start forward before they have stopped going backward. That leaves a hook in the scuffmark where the car stopped going backward and started going forward. The spinning wheel has lost traction and if both wheels spin, the vehicle can easily slip downhill on a cross slope. Sometimes these loops are repeated to leave an elegant pattern on the road such as shown in Exhibit 66. By this means, the drivers tries to impress on-lookers or passengers in the vehicle."

Yes yes, we all know how its done, this book is quite old. Just thought it was interesting enough that some of you might want to read it.

mholbrook
06-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Doing this will almost guarantee that you will soon need a new flex disk.

And that automatic transmission that costs so much to replace....you'll be able to find out about that too.

Brian C.
06-04-2004, 04:18 PM
...kind of thing! :p

I took some photos once of a pick-up that plowed into a bus-bench enclosure. It was towards the back of an empty parking lot and the p/u did two complete 360s, with all 4 wheels on the pavement, before wiping out the bench. From the ground it looked like a bunch of skids, but when I got in the chopper the photos showed 4 complete double-corkscrews about 150 yds long. A very interesting image. I'll see if the case has closed and maybe I can post a copy of it. Oh....no one was on the bench at the time but the driver was.....as we say.....AFU. "All F#!*ed Up".

Brian C.

ryan roopnarine
06-04-2004, 04:32 PM
i doubt he was as F#$*ed up as this..... :)
i need to go make myself dinner or something so that i stop watching that stupid video.

Brian C.
06-04-2004, 04:37 PM
i doubt he was as F#$*ed up as this..... :)
i need to go make myself dinner or something so that i stop watching that stupid video.

rickm
06-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Such as the car in RI that drove UP an offramp and hit a full tanker truck head on. One of those cases where you wash the pavement off and call it a day. Scary.