PDA

View Full Version : Engine hunts when braking

BennyM
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I've noticed recently that on particularly cold days (at or below 0*F), when I coast and apply the brakes, the engine will start hunting. It's a 5speed, so generally when I'm braking the engine is at idle. This is the only time it hunts. Sorry if this is rudimentary, but what hoses should I check?

Thanks in advance!
BennyM

SnakeyesTx
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
By "hunt" do you mean that the idle bobs around? I'd start with the vacuum line going to the brake booster or the brake booster itself may have a leaky diaphragm. Does your brakes feel tighter or the pedal ever so slightly harder to push?

Bo525i
02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I have that too, idle goes up and down when braking, clutch engaged until the car is at a standstill then its perfect.. Any info will be appreciated!

BennyM
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I haven't noticed the brake pedal feeling harder, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. And, since the temp has risen above 0, the engine idle is stable when braking. I assume this is indicative of a very minor, but growing hose leak, only apparent when things shrink. I'll order a new booster vacuum line and see if the hunting returns next time the temp drops. Thanks.

By "hunt" do you mean that the idle bobs around? I'd start with the vacuum line going to the brake booster or the brake booster itself may have a leaky diaphragm. Does your brakes feel tighter or the pedal ever so slightly harder to push?