PDA

View Full Version : Ellipsoidal headlight screws

Bill R.
02-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I recently got the hid conversion kit for my car and thought it would be a good idea to clean up my ellipsoidal headlight internal lens and reflectors....
Max Fritter had done a writeup 5 or 6 years ago on it on his e32, so i found it in my files but his was a euro car and its put together differently guess than the US car
At any rate after you remove the headlight assy there are 3 screws on the backside of the ellipsoid headlight housing that hold it together, these are a unique 3 pointed screw like a philips head only with 3 instead of 4.
This tool is available cheaply when it goes on sale at harbor freight tools, its a
security bit set, and it goes on sale for 9.99 every so often.... I think its like 52 pieces or so.

Bill R.
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I recently got the hid conversion kit for my car and thought it would be a good idea to clean up my ellipsoidal headlight internal lens and reflectors....
Max Fritter had done a writeup 5 or 6 years ago on it on his e32, so i found it in my files but his was a euro car and its put together differently guess than the US car
At any rate after you remove the headlight assy there are 3 screws on the backside of the ellipsoid headlight housing that hold it together, these are a unique 3 pointed screw like a philips head only with 3 instead of 4.
This tool is available cheaply when it goes on sale at harbor freight tools, its a
security bit set, and it goes on sale for 9.99 every so often.... I think its like 52 pieces or so.

Ross
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
This is the only application I have ever seen for that style screw and was pleasantly surprised to find four sizes of it in the HF set. The set also contains the hollow torx bits useful for opening utility boxes and the "butterfly" bits you'll need to disassemble bathroom stalls.
It took me a while to figure what this one is for. A half eaten stale donut to whoever else can correctly define it's use.

Bill R.
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
This is the only application I have ever seen for that style screw and was pleasantly surprised to find four sizes of it in the HF set. The set also contains the hollow torx bits useful for opening utility boxes and the "butterfly" bits you'll need to disassemble bathroom stalls.
It took me a while to figure what this one is for. A half eaten stale donut to whoever else can correctly define it's use.

I've wondered what that bit was for also.... don't have a clue

ryan roopnarine
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
it is a hook hanging bit. i have no idea how you would use it, but know that every security bit kit over 30 pieces has one. please elaborate for us.

ps..i just went and checked the bathroom stall here to see if MAYBE i could see an analogue in the hook. nope, the stall hook uses the same heads as the locking hardware.

Ross
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Yep, screw eyes, hooks and wingnuts. Doesn't work too well, I've tried driving screw eyes with it. Not enough "grab", just slips off unless you are perfectly straight, use lots of pressure and go very slowly. Might as well drive 'em by hand at that point.