PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Suspension Problem

BMW For Ever
02-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone.

I have problem with uneven suspension on the front left side, it is about 1cm higher than the right side :(
I installed H&R sport springs with standard shocks and i replaced all spring pads, control arms and thust arms.

Is there any thing that can be done to sort it out or is there something wrong
with my springs.

632 Regal
02-01-2009, 01:17 AM
straighten the unibody? Mine sits lower on the drivers side 2 cm and nothing has helped. I adjusted my rear view mirror to compensate and wont look at the cars stance from front or real.

BMW For Ever
02-01-2009, 01:59 AM
straighten the unibody? Mine sits lower on the drivers side 2 cm and nothing has helped. I adjusted my rear view mirror to compensate and wont look at the cars stance from front or real.

My car is right hand drive
it is 1992 520i

BMW For Ever
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone.

I have problem with uneven suspension on the front left side, it is about 1cm higher than the right side :(
I installed H&R sport springs with standard shocks and i replaced all spring pads, control arms and thust arms.

Is there any thing that can be done to sort it out or is there something wrong
with my springs.

can any one help me with this problem

Tiger
02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
All car is lower on the driver side after time... it is because we always sit in that position and that spring takes more load and work so it does go lower. The other thing you need to do is make sure the end of the spring actually aligned with the strut housing end... they have an end indentation where the end of the spring sits.

Ross
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Are the springs correctly seated? A cm is roughly the diameter of the coils, if one were not seated that might explain this.

e34.535i.sport
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
When you torqued the control/thrust arms did you do it under load? Was the 'even' when you did this? Worth thinking about.

repenttokyo
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Try changing to a slimmer spring pad on the higher side? 3mm?

Ross
02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
When you torqued the control/thrust arms did you do it under load? Was the 'even' when you did this? Worth thinking about.
Definately worth investigating this. Preload on those bushings will cause them to fail quickly too.
With the suspension bearing the weight of the car loosen the through bolts, bounce the car a bit and retighten.

Tiger
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Also, worn out lower control arm bushing will also cause sag.

BMW For Ever
02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Definately worth investigating this. Preload on those bushings will cause them to fail quickly too.
With the suspension bearing the weight of the car loosen the through bolts, bounce the car a bit and retighten.

I already did this and it improved it a little but it is still not right.

Any other things i could try

Ross
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
You began at 1 cm difference and now it's better. Frankly I'd not even notice it and certainly not care on a twenty year old car. Who knows what the aftermarket spring tolerances are.
Put a brick under the seat?

Vanguard
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd look at the spring pads to make sure you aligned them correctly. They're molded to fit the end of the springs where the coil ends. If one of them slipped during installation this could make a difference it height.

BMW For Ever
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
You began at 1 cm difference and now it's better. Frankly I'd not even notice it and certainly not care on a twenty year old car. Who knows what the aftermarket spring tolerances are.
Put a brick under the seat?

could it be if engine leens to the right it could cause the it to be uneven

because my brother owns a 540i e34 with same drop H&R Sport with also standard shocks 35 in front and 10 in the back and it sit even