PDA

View Full Version : Emblem Quesion (Possible or Not?)

Polley
01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a 1990 535i M with a factory BBS full kit on it. I was wondering does anybody know is there an emblem that goes on the trunk that reads "535iM?" I really want one but I don't know if they even out there. I was just wondering if they are real. Thank You.

-Alex

bubba966
01-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Nope, no 535iM emblem. By "M" I'm assuming you're referring to it being a manual tranny?

shogun
01-31-2009, 11:13 PM
I assume he means M = Motorsports. But there was no E34 535 M
only in some countries a E34 535is, It featured a limited-slip differential and sport trim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E34

Polley
02-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Nope, no 535iM emblem. By "M" I'm assuming you're referring to it being a manual tranny?

I has a manual transmission but I am not sure what it means. I have been told that it is a lot of things. Do they make a 535is emblem? Sorry if I am just being stupid. I really am knew to this car.

shogun
02-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Alex. ist also depends on the country where you live respectively the country the car is built for. Where do you live?
Or please inform us the last numbers 7 of the chassis number = VIN. Then we can find out.
And please add these details then to your name like I have it

shogun
11/1988 E32 750iL

and the month and year of production, then everybody can help much better.
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

There is an "M", but that does probably not belong to your car, unless that was a special series:

No. Description Supplement Qty..Part Number...Price Notes
02........... LETTER "M" REAR 1....51141917739.... $28.46

Notes:

Items pictured but not listed are not installed on your vehicle.
Items pictured without a number are listed on another diagram.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=51_4627&hg=51&fg=95

shogun
02-01-2009, 10:13 AM
here a collection of BMW emblems
http://www.cartype.com/pages/402/bmw_related_emblems

Polley
02-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Alex. ist also depends on the country where you live respectively the country the car is built for. Where do you live?
Or please inform us the last numbers 7 of the chassis number = VIN. Then we can find out.
And please add these details then to your name like I have it

shogun
11/1988 E32 750iL

and the month and year of production, then everybody can help much better.
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

There is an "M", but that does probably not belong to your car, unless that was a special series:

No. Description Supplement Qty..Part Number...Price Notes
02........... LETTER "M" REAR 1....51141917739.... $28.46

Notes:

Items pictured but not listed are not installed on your vehicle.
Items pictured without a number are listed on another diagram.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=51_4627&hg=51&fg=95

I'm sorry I am still trying to figure out how to get to the prefences and change that but I will figure it out. I live in the USA and hear is the description = 03 / 1990 E34 535iM. I will not get off my computer until I find on how to change that. I know it is one of the few which has a manual transmission and it came with a stock BBS kit all round of what I am told. Front and Rear Bumper tail and side skirts. Is there a 535is emblem? Because it has every option on the car including the out side?

I assume he means M = Motorsports. But there was no E34 535 M
only in some countries a E34 535is, It featured a limited-slip differential and sport trim. This is what this guy said and it has a limited-slip differential and sport trim.

I really don't know what I am doing yet sorry. Thank You though.

-Alex

bubba966
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
When your car is called a 535iM it's referring to the fact it has a manual tranny. The M emblem is for Motorsport cars. There was an E28 M535i, but there was no such car built as an E34. Please don't put an M badge on a car that never had one from the factory. Only E34's with M badges are the M5, & Canadian M540i (of which only 32 were built).

I'll admit I don't know my 535 specifics as well as the other E34 variations, but I'm at a loss as to what this "BBS kit" is. BBS is a wheel manufacturer.

I don't think the 535iS was sold in the US. Sounds like you've got a manual 535 with an M-Tech body kit. Which is pretty close to a 535iS, but they've also got a different suspension that a regular 535. Got any pics you could post? Also have the last 7 of the VIN so we can get a better idea of what equipment it's got? Someone might also be able to pull up the build sheet at a dealer with the last 7 of the VIN and find out what it did & didn't have from the factory.

Paul in NZ
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
there is no 535is emblem but you could addan s to the 535i...and someone(bill r I think) has the actuial factory measuements for the application of said "emblems".I agrre that //M badges should not be affixed to non M cars.However in my country all the 535is cars were delivered from the dealer with no 535is badges but a single //M badge only

BMWCCA1
02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
No such thing as a 535iM or 535is in the E34 for the USA. And the manuals aren't that rare. I sold a ton of them. As Paul and Bubba pleaded, don't put an "///M" on a car that didn't come with one. And no BMWs came from the factory with BBS aerodynamic tupperware hung on them. That must have been the creation of a previous owner.

No telling what those West Coast guys will do to a BMW. You're lucky yours escaped without chrome BBS wheels. ;)

Polley
02-02-2009, 01:01 AM
No such thing as a 535iM or 535is in the E34 for the USA. And the manuals aren't that rare. I sold a ton of them. As Paul and Bubba pleaded, don't put an "///M" on a car that didn't come with one. And no BMWs came from the factory with BBS aerodynamic tupperware hung on them. That must have been the creation of a previous owner.

No telling what those West Coast guys will do to a BMW. You're lucky yours escaped without chrome BBS wheels. ;)

I promise i would never put a batch on something unless the car actually was what the batch means. That is why I am asking all about this emblem question. I hat chrome rims they evil!!!!!!!! But I guess I am wrong about the BBS kit but it is all around and it looks sweet. It even has the turn signals and the fog lights in the same place. But like I said I don't know much yet so I guess that is after market.

But as for the rarity of the car I know it is a rare car at least in the US I am not sure about th UK but the 535i with a manual trans only 5% were made with manual trans. I also have a LSD Diff in it and the m-tech side skirts. They have the same serial number on the side skirts as the car so I know they are factory. I still have the M-tech bumpers that the guy gave me. With the serial numbers on it. The car also has every option possible sports seats sterring wheel and heated seats I mean the works. And I do know I did my homework and the 535i with LSD and M-Tech bodykit and a manual transmission is a rare car. And I looked up the vin number and it was imported from the UK.

shogun
02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
let us know the VIN and I will tell you the complete details, not only the stuff you can get from internet.

BMWCCA1
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
And I looked up the vin number and it was imported from the UK.Yeah, right-hand-drive would make it a bit rare in the Pacific Northwest! ;)

Well, you've now gone from a 535i with "factory BBS" kit to a gray-market car from the UK with M-tech kit. You know, maybe some photos would make it easier to follow this shifting tale.

Polley
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, right-hand-drive would make it a bit rare in the Pacific Northwest! ;)

Well, you've now gone from a 535i with "factory BBS" kit to a gray-market car from the UK with M-tech kit. You know, maybe some photos would make it easier to follow this shifting tale.

I am just going off what the guy told me who I bought to from. Like I said I am new to all of this a can be wrong about any of it. I am sorry for arguing points I don't know about. And I looked up the vin number and it was produced in the US so you were right. As far as the kits on it sense it is two different I don't know if they were stalk or some one fitted them on. But I do have one question. Do all M-Tech kits are the cars grey, like you stated in your last post? Just a question because that would sum up a lot if that was the case about the M-Tech kits.

I will post pictures later on. I have the back and front bumper off right now I am trying to fix broken plastic. It came this way. I fixed it to where all the plastic is back together correctly but now do you sand it and fiber glass it to make it go back to its original form or how do you fix plastic cracks and make them look good? Any ideas or is this stupid and you just need too buy a new bumper. But that would be very expensive so I was hoping there is a way to fix it.

-Polley