PDA

View Full Version : Hows this 95 530 5 speed deal

duby55
01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a possible deal going with the dealer who's asking $2950 cash or is willing to trade me even for my 99 Chevy Prizm. There is no way I'll pay that much cash for this car, but I have a total investment of $1600. in the Prizm that could make it worth it. The 530 has 155,000 miles. It needs tires, wheels would'nt hurt, the front grille is broken along with the right headlight mount. The body has a fender bing and a few door dings. The interior is good, the driver seat has a split seam. The car appears to be all original to me. Its said to run and drive great, but has been sitting for 2 months from getting caught up in a storage facility issue. The car is a bit dirty and the dealer said it needs a battery, but he would make the deal to me as is for the Prizm. Do you think this is worth it? I'd rather have the 5 speed and the v8 is welcome over my M50 automatic that I was planning a conversion on, but now my daughter wants that one so its going to stay an automatic for her, of course it still needs a trans. I would like some opinions from the members please.

yaofeng
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Clear the Nikasil hurdle first.

Ross
01-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Nik schmik. That Geo is as worthless an automobile as exists(sorry).
Put a battery in and fire it up, if the motor runs decent you'll be ahead.
You can sell the tranny and swap parts for a grand easy if you decide to part it out.
You also stand to squeeze the dealer for some cash since he wants the more easily saleable car in yours.

barry 90 525i
01-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Nikasil is no longer a isuue in the U.S.. That sounds like a good deal if it starts up. Have him throw in some tires to seal the deal.

632 Regal
01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Lots of stuff going on here. Dont forget if the car was in this condition the front suspension is most likely shot adding to the festivities, front shimmy at 55 when applying will surely indicate this. Kinda sounds more like a 1200-1500 car to me as is even with a new battery.

Whats the prizm worth??

It needs tires, wheels would'nt hurt, the front grille is broken along with the right headlight mount. The body has a fender bing and a few door dings. The interior is good, the driver seat has a split seam, needs a battery,

h2oyo
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Lots of stuff going on here. Dont forget if the car was in this condition the front suspension is most likely shot adding to the festivities, front shimmy at 55 when applying will surely indicate this. Kinda sounds more like a 1200-1500 car to me as is even with a new battery.

Whats the prizm worth??

Yeah I was thinking in the 1500 to maybe 2K area. If it runs well but does and it probably will need the front end worked on, I just did mine and its not all that much work really with air tools. Yeah it will cost you 5 to 600 dollars for the parts. I bought my 95 540 knowing I would need a transmission but that was fine as I would rather have the 5 speed. I would just think about all the wear parts front end, struts springs, bushings, pitman arms on the rear etc. I knew I would be having to repair some if not all of this but hey I love the car. I have taken my time looked for the deals asked alot of questions and most everyone on this forum has been great help. I say start it drive it feel it out some see if you can get tires and battery and have some fun.
Just my thoughts

yaofeng
01-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Nikasil is no longer a isuue in the U.S.. That sounds like a good deal if it starts up. Have him throw in some tires to seal the deal.

It is no longer an issue provided it has no mileage prior to low sulfur gasoline was mandated in 2000 something. Prior to that the sulfur content could be as high as 500 ppm. The gasoline you are using now has between 15 and 50 ppm sulfur.

Tell me you would not hesitate to buy a Nikasil M60 without leak down and I'll shut up.

duby55
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the insight on this car. It could of been a good deal, but adding up the extra costs to get that 530 road ready puts it to rest. The car didn't look like the previous owners respected it. Probably a money pit. I'm looking at 92 525 with a 5 speed that will go either way in negotiating price. If its decent I'll put it on the road, if its another bomber I try negotiate it as a parts car for my 5 speed conversion quest. Being my daughter wants my current 525 , I wouldn't mind having 2 525s in the family. Thanks again for your help.

BMWDriver
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
If it's a VANOS M50, you'd probably like it on the automatic tranny better. The torque is way better across the RPMs.

Mine's not VANOS, but the clutch is a lot of fun and makes up for it!

BMWDriver
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I forgot about putting a chip... apparently it helps with the torque.

Bo525i
02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I had to chip mine to get some lowend torque, a must do!