PDA

View Full Version : Noise from sunroof area while driving

Mas (UK)
06-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi,

When I'm driving with the sunroof open, I hear a slight rattling noise coming from inside the roof of the car where the sunroof retracts into. This noise disappears when the sunroof is closed. I'm thinking maybe something could be loose in there and just starts this faint vibration while driving. The car's done 105k miles, so maybe this is a wear issue (not like we in Britain get many opportunities to wear-out our sunroofs with our wonderful climate).

If you have or had a similar experience I'd be grateful to hear from you and I'll even donate a shiny penny to a good cause if you can help me keep this sweet ride cruising quietly.

Cheers,

Mas

Mr Project
06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I just had my headliner out for replacement and fixed a sunroof rattle while I had it open. Mine was in the front, near the 'dome' light, but it was the plastic frame of the sunroof track rattling on the metal of the body structure.

There are numerous torx-head screws around that plastic frame holding it to the body. Some of mine were a little loose, so I went around and snugged them all down. Perhaps that's what is happening to you? Downside is that to get to them, you have to pull the headliner. Maybe it's a good time to replace that too?

Mas (UK)
06-07-2004, 04:29 AM
I'll check to see how many of those screws I can tighten up in case mine's a similar case. The noise is just a small invasion on an otherwise quiet cruise in these motors, so I don't think I'll be going the route of replacing the headliner as it's in pretty good nack.

Cheers,

Mas

I just had my headliner out for replacement and fixed a sunroof rattle while I had it open. Mine was in the front, near the 'dome' light, but it was the plastic frame of the sunroof track rattling on the metal of the body structure.

There are numerous torx-head screws around that plastic frame holding it to the body. Some of mine were a little loose, so I went around and snugged them all down. Perhaps that's what is happening to you? Downside is that to get to them, you have to pull the headliner. Maybe it's a good time to replace that too?

dca
06-07-2004, 08:49 AM
same is evident on my sunroof, after removing lining and fixing sunroof screws it started to do so. I dont know why.