PDA

View Full Version : I've been getting a lot of smoke lately...

e34.535i.sport
01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I know there's similar threads but thought I'd ask opinions on this one.

Over the last couple of months I've been getting a fair bit of thickish white smoke out of the exhaust which doesn't stop even when the cars up to temp. At first I dismissed it as condensation or whatever from the back box but it does it even when it's not cold etc. It seems to smell like I'm running a bit rich, but I couldn't be sure. Not using any coolant, and everything else seems normal(ish). ;)

I changed the spark plugs the other day and the smoke seemed to improve a little, but that might just be in my head.

Today however, I decided to have a little fun with a Porche Carrera S that pulled up along side me at the lights... An unwinnable war I know, just felt like a bit of a laugh! :p I looked over at him in an enticing sort of way... (LOL) and the lights turned green... Needless to say I ate his dust but what was interesting about the situation was that I gave it some punch in first and as I went to change into second I looked in the rear view and there was a LOT of white smoke coming out of the back - enough to obscure my rear window! (expected I know). So I continued to cain it in second and then slowed for my turn off...

Interestingly, when I was on my return journey I noticed no smoke from the back end, or the front fortunately enough :), which is strange? Would I be right in thinking that giving the car a 'good' run could have cleared any excess 'liquid' from the backbox? Can water or unused fuel or anything build up in there? I'm hoping this is the end of the smoke business, but it could be too good to be true, and normally is!

If it continues my next move is to get my injectors sonic-cleaned or whatever you call it, incase they're not spraying right. After that, I'm all out of ideas.

Any input greatfully recieved. :)

whiskychaser
01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I looked over at him in an enticing sort of way...

White is steam, black is fuel and blue is oil. I dont think there's any cause for concern - well apart from the statement above:D

e34.535i.sport
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
White is steam, black is fuel and blue is oil. I dont think there's any cause for concern - well apart from the statement above:D

LOL! I can always count on you!!! :D

Yeah I thought about the steam, but it's more than I've had before but I have been driving like an old lady since the 'roast dinner' incident (You know what I'm talking about!)... So maybe stuff has been building up in there... :(

whiskychaser
01-28-2009, 02:02 PM
LOL! I can always count on you!!! :D

Yeah I thought about the steam, but it's more than I've had before but I have been driving like an old lady since the 'roast dinner' incident (You know what I'm talking about!)... So maybe stuff has been building up in there... :(
Mine was giving off clouds all the way home. We probably dont drive far enough to clear it. We dont have the Interceptors but watch out for the sneaky 5 series if you decide to give it a run out!

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Don't you guys ever take your 5's out and open them up? Once I completed all of the repairs on mine, I took it out to see if it would perform as spec'd. It did :). I have a tendency to push all of my cars.

whiskychaser
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Don't you guys ever take your 5's out and open them up? I have a tendency to push all of my cars.
I think its on record - so to speak - that John at least pushes his;) NW UK is just cold and damp. So the exhaust never really has time to dry out.

e34.535i.sport
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I think its on record - so to speak - that John at least pushes his;) NW UK is just cold and damp. So the exhaust never really has time to dry out.

OOOhh! LOW BLOW! :D

... ... Innocent until proven guilty I do believe.

That reminds me... What's the odds on a 19year old, stock 535i being able to accelerate from 70mph to 120mph in 6.x seconds? I reckon zero.

whiskychaser
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
OOOhh! LOW BLOW! :D

... ... Innocent until proven guilty I do believe.

That reminds me... What's the odds on a 19year old, stock 535i being able to accelerate from 70mph to 120mph in 6.x seconds? I reckon zero.
Odds? I'm not arguing numbers with a maths teacher:D And you didnt tell me you were doing 120!:D

e34.535i.sport
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Odds? I'm not arguing numbers with a maths teacher:D And you didnt tell me you were doing 120!:D

LOL- I wasn't!!! In his words, i was doing "around 70, then i accelerated to overtake the vehicle in front" and my AVERAGE speed was 95mph according to him... In 6.x seconds! Even assuming linear acceleration that isn't possible... I wouldn't mind but he was clocking a van at 90ish that shot past me, then i overtook the car infront of me and got in the police cars way - Seems like thats why he pulled me cos the van was nowhere to be seen even after i overtook that 1 car and slotted back in the middle lane.

I can smell something...

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Warp drive Scotty... That will clean out the pipes

Paul in NZ
01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
i reckon it takes at least twenty minutes to get the whole exhaust hot enough to drive out all the water,maybe longer to get it all out of the rear muffler

632 Regal
01-30-2009, 12:42 AM
true but
i reckon it takes at least twenty minutes to get the whole exhaust hot enough to drive out all the water,maybe longer to get it all out of the rear muffler
think about it, basics... what happens to the air and fuel after it burns? what does it turn into after it gets burned? What gets pumped out of the tailpipe?

Paul in NZ
01-31-2009, 04:26 AM
true but
think about it, basics... what happens to the air and fuel after it burns? what does it turn into after it gets burned? What gets pumped out of the tailpipe?

exactly Jeff....the water vapour that is a natural by product of combustion is always present in the exhaust system.If however the car does a lot of short runs that water vapour condenses inside the cold muffler(s).That condensed vapour can be driven out on a longer run....although it wil start agin the next time a short run is taken and the exhaust system doesnt get hot