PDA

View Full Version : Draining Coolant from Engine Block vs Lower Rad Hose

angusbn
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
1989 535i M30 engine

If I replace the lower rad hose does this drain off most of the coolant in the engine block effectively the same as draining the coolant by removing the engine block drain plug (which I haven't located yet)?

Blair...

whiskychaser
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
1989 535i M30 engine

If I replace the lower rad hose does this drain off most of the coolant in the engine block effectively the same as draining the coolant by removing the engine block drain plug (which I haven't located yet)?

Blair...
You will get coolant backed up behind the pump and IIRC the drain is lower anyway so you wont empty the block by just removing the hose. The drain on the M50 is under the exhaust manifold so I guess its in a similar spot on yours. Depending on what you want to do, draining the whole lot makes life easier/harder

bad_manners_god
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
To effectively remove ALL the coolant from the system, you need to remove the t-stat and stick a garden hose in the top rad hose and don't stop till the bottom comes out clear water, if you really want you can run the engine for a couple second to let the pump push out all the old coolant.

nirvana19
01-27-2009, 07:18 PM
To effectively remove ALL the coolant from the system, you need to remove the t-stat and stick a garden hose in the top rad hose and don't stop till the bottom comes out clear water, if you really want you can run the engine for a couple second to let the pump push out all the old coolant.

I would be hesitant to run the pump dry like that, would that really be advisable to get all the coolant out?

bad_manners_god
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I would be hesitant to run the pump dry like that, would that really be advisable to get all the coolant out?

I meant with the hose pumpung fresh water to the pump. never to run it dry

632 Regal
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
edit: nevermind I thought you typed M60...

you can get to the pass side plug easily, flush til clear. Put the plug back in and then figure total volume of coolant and add straight coolant first, then the balance with distilled water.

1989 535i M30 engine

Blair...

yaofeng
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM

There is a coolant drain cap on the block. Every engine does.

Bill R.
01-27-2009, 11:25 PM
hurt it, but it won't help anyway. It won't pull all the water out of the block. The drain plug in the side of the block 3/4 of the way back on the exhaust side is the only way to get it all out.