PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad disintegrates

Kibokojoe
01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
The newly installed brake pad disintegrated and messed up the rotor. Never seen this happening before. Anybody else ever heard of this happening?

632 Regal
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM
overheated. have more specifics of what happened? did you 'bed' them in or what?

Kibokojoe
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Only drove the car a few miles, could not have been over heating but sure ate the pads up and the rotor is grooved big time. But it is grooved only on one side, the side that is towards the outside of the car. The other side the pad and rotor looks normal. What do you mean "bed" them in? I have changed dozen of pads and rotors and have never seen this happen.

Rus
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Defective pad? That would be my best guess. Its hard to screw up a pad installation and in all of my experience doing brake jobs, the pads have never just failed on their own.

Kibokojoe
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
I have called the parts house and they are going to replace the rotor and brake pads no charge. I looked at the old pads to see if the rotor had been previously scored and that I had missed something but no the old pads are perfectly smooth, just wore down. Caliper seems to slide smoothly

BMWCCA1
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
What kind of pads? ;)

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Semi metalic life time

BMWCCA1
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
No-name-brand from the auto parts store? It only costs a few pennies more to go first-class. I replaced pads on my Plymouth van with "lifetime" pads from AutoZone. They smelled like they were stuck the first day. Then months later they caught fire up in the mountains. Had to replace them every year, for "free". Finally I asked if they didn't have something better. They offered Performance Friction for about ten-bucks more; same lifetime guaranty. They've been in for about six years in the same van—with the same rotors and calipers—which has taken kids to college six times, and gone on vacation fully loaded every year. No smell, no problem, no fire.

A generic pad in anything is a crap shoot. In a BMW, it's a damn shame.

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Yep they are the premium pads. Sensor and all. Yep life time. Never had a problem with them in the past. But you never know any more. The mechanic here says he uses only rivieted shoes but then again they don't work on sports car. Trucks trucks and more trucks. But you know I don't feel like paying $100 USD for a rear set of pads :)

BMWCCA1
01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
That's fine if your mechanic is only working on drum rear brakes!

"premium" doesn't mean anything. Were they parts-store generic brand? Even the store won't be able to tell you what they are. It might change monthly on a low-bid basis for the chain store. But, it is your car.

Look at it this way: You can buy shoes for your feet at K-mart. They'll come in your size, and they'll go on your feet. But there's a darn good possibility they won't give your feet the support, or last as long, or be as comfortable a fit as a name-brand shoe. Now don't you feel bad about what you've done to hobble your car? ;)

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
So you only buy brake shoes with BMW stamped on them? I remember several years ago I visited a milk factory, I notice that they delivered milk to a number of different stores. They had brands any where from generic Krogers to Bordens. Bordens 3 bucks a gallon, Krogers 1.5 bucks a gallon. What was really funny is they all came from the same vat. So how do you know who makes the best brake pads, money is not always the deciding factor. What pads do you run?

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Wagner Thermo Quiet premium brake pads

whiskychaser
01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
So you only buy brake shoes with BMW stamped on them? I remember several years ago I visited a milk factory, I notice that they delivered milk to a number of different stores. They had brands any where from generic Krogers to Bordens. Bordens 3 bucks a gallon, Krogers 1.5 bucks a gallon. What was really funny is they all came from the same vat. So how do you know who makes the best brake pads, money is not always the deciding factor. What pads do you run?
AFIK BMW dont make brake pads/shoes - they buy them in. For all I know they may buy them from China. BMW will set a spec and buy from whoever. Mine come in a nice box from my local factors. I cant even recall who makes them and dont care because they work just fine. And they dont wear out in 24 hours-which, I think, is where we came in? Something about caliper sticking? Wonder what happened there:D

BMWCCA1
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I remember several years ago I visited a milk factory . . . You should stick to buying milk. It's safer.

Personally, I use Repco/Axxis/Metalmasters in my daily driver E34, and Hawks in my kids' 318ti with drilled Zimmerman rotors. In the van the Performance Friction pads have done very well and Chrysler vans are known for their shitty brakes. I have Mintex in my E28 535is with the M5 brakes, and Ferodos in my 2002tii.

I don't buy any disc-brake pads from BMW. Life's too short to clean wheels every time I leave the driveway. I do use those BMW riveted Jurid brake shoes in the rear of my '70 1600 Cabriolet. I've also bought stock brake shoes for my '64 700S convertible from BMW. At 1,400 pounds it doesn't demand a lot from its brakes! ;)

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I ended up changing out the rotors and installed the Wagner Thermo Quiet premium brake pads. I will let you know how they old up. Cleaned all of the grease out of the caliper pin holes, and installed them dry per Bentley manual. All seems ok but we are having a big ice storm right now and can't really give them a good test.

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't really know what happened but glad I pulled the rotors because they looked bad on the back side. New rotors and pads, will give it a good test once the ice storm subsides

632 Regal
01-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I had this happen one time, grinding noise and all, ended up putting the outside pad in backwards (metal side to rotor). <- idiot

I ended up changing out the rotors and installed the Wagner Thermo Quiet premium brake pads. I will let you know how they old up. Cleaned all of the grease out of the caliper pin holes, and installed them dry per Bentley manual. All seems ok but we are having a big ice storm right now and can't really give them a good test.

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I guess it happens to us all at one time or another

632 Regal
01-28-2009, 01:34 AM
LMAO.. took me 3 years to admit this one on here.

I guess it happens to us all at one time or another

Ross
01-28-2009, 04:09 AM
That's fine if your mechanic is only working on drum rear brakes!

"premium" doesn't mean anything. Were they parts-store generic brand? Even the store won't be able to tell you what they are. It might change monthly on a low-bid basis for the chain store. But, it is your car.

Look at it this way: You can buy shoes for your feet at K-mart. They'll come in your size, and they'll go on your feet. But there's a darn good possibility they won't give your feet the support, or last as long, or be as comfortable a fit as a name-brand shoe. Now don't you feel bad about what you've done to hobble your car? ;)

well said

Ross
01-28-2009, 04:15 AM
A given manufacturer may make a product for several different sellers but usually to the SELLER'S specifications.
Sears tire salesmen were famous for mentioning that (some) their tires were made by Michelin. To Sears spec and definately to a price is what they failed to mention.
Brake friction material and it's bonding to the backing vary a lot. It's a science I'm not versed in. Usually in that case my method is to throw money at it and hope for quality.
Like my tire story above the chain parts houses brand may be made by a well regarded mfr. but to the seller's spec.

Dave M
01-28-2009, 07:30 AM
lmao.. Took Me 3 Years To Admit This One On Here.

Should think about turning the thing around one of these years as well ;)

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't know you guys well enough to admit all of the screw ups I have made :)

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Wagner Thermo Quiet premium brake pads have all kinds of accolades but then again they may all be posted by Wagner stock holders ;) Put them in last night with new rotors, also used that high temp silicone lube on the caliper pins. I will post after I drive the car for a while. Last night I let my son disassemble and reassemble on side by himself (checking his work of course :) ) and he had no problems. Ha another mechanic is born.....

A given manufacturer may make a product for several different sellers but usually to the SELLER'S specifications.
Sears tire salesmen were famous for mentioning that (some) their tires were made by Michelin. To Sears spec and definately to a price is what they failed to mention.
Brake friction material and it's bonding to the backing vary a lot. It's a science I'm not versed in. Usually in that case my method is to throw money at it and hope for quality.
Like my tire story above the chain parts houses brand may be made by a well regarded mfr. but to the seller's spec.

Ross
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Once at a (hang head)K-Mart service center(long ago, needed cheap shocks ,okay) a "mechanic" was applying some anti-sqeal paste on brake pads while I watched, to the friction side. I'll bet that smelled good.

632 Regal
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
HAhahaha K-mart...sigh, went there to have my tires mounted cause they always did a good job for me. Anyways the guy doing the work didnt know what was up and I heard a pop any my brand new wheel shoot across the shop. They finished mounting them and loaded them in my car... up-side down! I knew better but didnt want to look at that point, went back about 5 times trying to get it replaced which they never did. Went back so many times because the guy that messed up would hide from me and the counter guy knew I would be there for a long time discussing my problem with potential customers... They closed a month later, wonder why.

632 Regal
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
sorry to hijack again but I see 16,000 with this one

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Did you get in your car and leave?

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Have an uncle with a 1970s Pinto. 300,000 plus miles and it still runs. The first time he had the muffler changed he went to Midas for their life time guarantee :). He still goes back there and they hate to see him coming. They have even argued with him but lifetime is lifetime. He has lost count how many times he has had the muffler changed. I wonder how many engines he has put in what we considered a throw away car, Pinto's and Chevettes all throw away cars

Bill R.
01-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Once at a (hang head)K-Mart service center(long ago, needed cheap shocks ,okay) a "mechanic" was applying some anti-sqeal paste on brake pads while I watched, to the friction side. I'll bet that smelled good.

Bg makes a squeal eliminator that you do apply to the friction side of the pads before you install them. lasts about 3 months on the crappiest noisiest pads you can find, then you get to reapply it.

Bill R.
01-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Have an uncle with a 1970s Pinto. 300,000 plus miles and it still runs. The first time he had the muffler changed he went to Midas for their life time guarantee :). He still goes back there and they hate to see him coming. They have even argued with him but lifetime is lifetime. He has lost count how many times he has had the muffler changed. I wonder how many engines he has put in what we considered a throw away car, Pinto's and Chevettes all throw away cars

Along the same lines i had a JC penney's lifetime warranty battery in my 68 firebird that i kept close to 20 years, went through 7 batteries long after penny's had quit the lifetime warranty batteries. They issued a card like a credit card when you bought the battery and i never lost it.

repenttokyo
01-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I had this happen one time, grinding noise and all, ended up putting the outside pad in backwards (metal side to rotor). <- idiot

don't feel bad. nowhere NEAR as stupid as me putting my battery in backwards and doing 1300 dollars worth of damage to my car. my perfectly running car, I might add.

repenttokyo
01-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I put Hawk pads on all my vehicles, it's not much more expensive and I really appreciate the lack of fade.

I switched to Hawk one day after taking brand new Midas pads on a spirited downhill drive in my Mark VIII. At the bottom, when my foot said 'whoa' the pads said 'see-ya', and it was only luck that kept me from stopping rather suddenly thanks to an impact with a very stationary object.

Kibokojoe
01-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh that sounds like fun, taking the pads off every three months =-O

Tiger
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Dude! Geez!

BMWCCA1
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh that sounds like fun, taking the pads off every three months =-OIf you need to apply anti-squeal every three-months you've either got really shitty pads, you installed them incorrectly, or both. Even stock BMW pads aren't that bad. If it's a problem, use the anti-squeal shims between the backing plate and the caliper piston. Most decent pads come with a softer backing on the plate for that very reason. I have six daily-drivers at my house and none of them have break squeal or need any goop to prevent it.

Buy good pads.

Ross
01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Bg makes a squeal eliminator that you do apply to the friction side of the pads before you install them. lasts about 3 months on the crappiest noisiest pads you can find, then you get to reapply it.
This was the bright colored plasticky gunk in the little tube that comes with some pads if I remember correctly.

Bill R.
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
plenty of the other types that you apply to the backside of the pads, some bright orange plasticky some blue....the one from bg is a black liquid like water that you coat the pad friction surface with...It contains graphite which is what volvo, mercedes and bmw frequently have in their pads to eliminate noise but i suspect that heavy dusting you see is from the graphite content.
At any rate ,some cars and pad combo's just squeak even if everything is perfect, especially here in the desert with dust and sand more likely to get between the pad and rotor. The BG stuff stops the squeal, but it typically lasts only about 3 months, on some cars the pads have bedded in fine by that time and everthing is wonderful.. on other cars its a persistant problem due to the design and all you can do is try different pad compositions and rotors.... or if its really bad like some of the jaguars i have worked on the factory adds resonance damping weights/rubber isolators to the caliper mounting bolts... laughed the first time i saw a jaguar with this on it.
An no, the gunk on the backside doesn't always work, the dissimilar metal shims on the back don't always work, the polymer and stainless self adhesive shims on the back don't always work, the waffled rubber and steel shims on the backside don't always work..

Akebono ceramics are the only pad that i have found that consistently gets rid of customer noise complaints, unfortunately they don't make them for alot of cars yet,if ever.

On the newer bmw's the factory now says to use plastilube on the back side of the OE pads.... this is on a 2006 330i that i worked on yesterday.

This was the bright colored plasticky gunk in the little tube that comes with some pads if I remember correctly.

Tiger
01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Bill, look into Bosch Ceramic pads... I think they are Akebono made and relabeled as Bosch.