PDA

View Full Version : Selling the 5'er :( Long deppressing note

James
06-04-2004, 01:15 AM
The time has come for my car and I to separate, she's been good to me since i've owned her, never left me stranded. This list of things that needs to be fixed on my car is gettin too long. It still drives perfect but, my seat is twisted so badly I cant drive it without somthing behind me, my speedo is busted, sometimes the odometer doesnt count miles, it reads 2900192, but I think I'm up around 298k miles, My cars chime screams at me once I put the key in, and wont stop untill I press the brakes. Weird **** huh? Sometimes the dash is in german sometimes in english, sometimes there are squiggily lines that look like arabic, sometimes none of the guages work, my obc's gone mad. not to mention a cracked headlight, dented rim, f'd up paint on one side, broken glove box handle, bad AC condenser, bad heater valve, my motor valves tick so loud someone thought my car was diesel. back door lock frozen, shocks are shot and I am making myself sick. BMW's make great motors and trannys, I am positive this car would run till 500k non of the features would work but it would drive. to make a long story short I am going to buy an e36 with low miles probably a 318i NOT a 318ti ugh! I want better fuel economy and seats that wont twist. The e34 Is a great car and I love it but its time to move on. Im movin on up the chasis food chain I started at an e21 4 years ago then moved up to e30, then e34, now e36. Its all evolution. I am going to miss getting the thumbs up from other e34 owners, and I will join the millions who own e36's I will no longer be in an elite club *sigh* oh well. Its been nice having this site and you guys around, I seriously doubt the e36 forums are as tight-nit. Anyways Later guys, and thank you.
and if any of you want to buy a great car I am selling one, its 89 525i w 290k orig miles. $2000 O.B.O

rickm
06-04-2004, 05:44 AM
The twisted seat fix is a relatively easy one.
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_11.htm or
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm
(at least this will make it more comfortable until you find a replacement ride)

The car is located where (might help to list this when selling!)?

Bill H.
06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
around...including me...Sold the 92' 525iT...just spent $41.00 to fill up the tank on the '94 530iA...how long can this last? Maybe time for a Mini? Hey there, Brian C....how about a write up on the PT Cruiser? At least I could haul stuff from Home Depot, like the Touring did. :(

Phil M
06-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I am almost tempted to try to sell my 540i. The beast gets about 15 mpg in town and this morning it was $32 to fill her up. Being 17 (18 in 19 days!), I (and I'm sure that others are probably realizing their uncertain futures with their E34) can't afford this much longer especially how I am going to need a car in college since it's out of town. I just had a radiator replaced and it needs lots of numerous little things, like rear window motors and an o-so-slight coolant leak taken care of.

I really just hope that they dont find any metal in the pan today.

Bill R.
06-04-2004, 09:49 AM
prefer a touring myself...

around...including me...Sold the 92' 525iT...just spent $41.00 to fill up the tank on the '94 530iA...how long can this last? Maybe time for a Mini? Hey there, Brian C....how about a write up on the PT Cruiser? At least I could haul stuff from Home Depot, like the Touring did. :(

Bill H.
06-04-2004, 10:44 AM
decent price. As we all know, NOBODY wants a nickel motor car at any price...so the only real option was to let the wagon move on. I agree with you, Bill...I would rather have the Touring but just had to sell something...two insurances, parking, upkeep just got to be too much as the cost of both is moving upwards as they get longer in the tooth.
I really miss the Touring more than I thought I would. :(

Warren N.CA
06-04-2004, 12:33 PM
candidate for the scrap heap. The other stuff probably could be sorted, at reasonable cost, but with bad paint, it isn't worth it.

E36 cars are nice, and I hope the rear floor doesn't fall out of yours ($5000)

The time has come for my car and I to separate, she's been good to me since i've owned her, never left me stranded. This list of things that needs to be fixed on my car is gettin too long. It still drives perfect but, my seat is twisted so badly I cant drive it without somthing behind me, my speedo is busted, sometimes the odometer doesnt count miles, it reads 2900192, but I think I'm up around 298k miles, My cars chime screams at me once I put the key in, and wont stop untill I press the brakes. Weird **** huh? Sometimes the dash is in german sometimes in english, sometimes there are squiggily lines that look like arabic, sometimes none of the guages work, my obc's gone mad. not to mention a cracked headlight, dented rim, f'd up paint on one side, broken glove box handle, bad AC condenser, bad heater valve, my motor valves tick so loud someone thought my car was diesel. back door lock frozen, shocks are shot and I am making myself sick. BMW's make great motors and trannys, I am positive this car would run till 500k non of the features would work but it would drive. to make a long story short I am going to buy an e36 with low miles probably a 318i NOT a 318ti ugh! I want better fuel economy and seats that wont twist. The e34 Is a great car and I love it but its time to move on. Im movin on up the chasis food chain I started at an e21 4 years ago then moved up to e30, then e34, now e36. Its all evolution. I am going to miss getting the thumbs up from other e34 owners, and I will join the millions who own e36's I will no longer be in an elite club *sigh* oh well. Its been nice having this site and you guys around, I seriously doubt the e36 forums are as tight-nit. Anyways Later guys, and thank you.
and if any of you want to buy a great car I am selling one, its 89 525i w 290k orig miles. $2000 O.B.O

James
06-10-2004, 01:56 AM
candidate for the scrap heap. The other stuff probably could be sorted, at reasonable cost, but with bad paint, it isn't worth it.

E36 cars are nice, and I hope the rear floor doesn't fall out of yours ($5000)

James
06-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Two weeks ago my sister was rear ended, she wasn't hurt. her car was totaled (96 neon) so I am going to give her my car. I am getting most of that **** fixed before she gets it. I wont need a car for a while n-e-ways, since I leave for the air force on monday.

Legrath
06-10-2004, 06:14 AM
$30-$40 dollars to fill her up, that would be a dream come true for everyone else outside of America, where in most of europe, like England, where it costs me over $100 to fill her up.

You guys are so lucky to have such cheap fuel. :(

Robbo
06-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I guess that a £30,000 car still has high mantenance costs even when 14 years old.

I sold mine mainly because I was becoming paranoid wondering what the next high cost problem would be, and how long it would take to bankrupt me.

Still miss the car though.

Warren N.CA
06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
by a competent indy- particularly the rear floor. This problem is not universal, but occurs in a disturbing number of E36 cars. If it happens to yours, it will cost you big time.

Scott E
06-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Seat in a e36 for a 1/2 hour or more./

kiNGMak
06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I am looking to sell mine.. moving on to a e39 540i Sport... and ill prolly get the auto :(

James: Good luck in the Air Force and i THANK YOU for your service to this country.. we are in debt to you!

DueyT
06-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Well then, I guess it's up to me and Jeff to keep our nickel-engined beasts, eh?

James, hope things work out and you find something that's economical enough but that you enjoy. Have you thought of a Jetta or Golf TDI? My 540's baby brother (2K1 Jetta TDI) is what makes up for the 20-28mpg of my beastie.

Cheers.
Duey

Drooby
06-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Two weeks ago my sister was rear ended, she wasn't hurt. her car was totaled (96 neon) so I am going to give her my car. I am getting most of that **** fixed before she gets it. I wont need a car for a while n-e-ways, since I leave for the air force on monday.

I guess you lose a bimmer move on to the next best thing ..... an F15 !!
not so depressing after all ?

kiNGMak
06-10-2004, 11:09 PM
.. but that is a lot of school to do flying