PDA

View Full Version : Headlights (replacing them)

bimmerred535i
01-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I am looking to see if anyone has upgraded their lights (at least the low beams). Does anyone think that just replacing the original ellipsoids with new oem ellipsoids would make that much of a difference? I have tried new bulbs, and also higher wattage bulbs as well. The reflection of the ellipsoid bulbs seems to be pretty bad..... Has anyone experimented with any other brand or different apparatus from another car onto an e34 Thanks

uscharalph
01-25-2009, 01:22 AM
I am looking to see if anyone has upgraded their lights (at least the low beams). Does anyone think that just replacing the original ellipsoids with new oem ellipsoids would make that much of a difference? I have tried new bulbs, and also higher wattage bulbs as well. The reflection of the ellipsoid bulbs seems to be pretty bad..... Has anyone experimented with any other brand or different apparatus from another car onto an e34 Thanks
I bought new Hella ellipsoids and it's made a world of difference. Remember to install headlight protectors.

nirvana19
01-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes. the depo ones are adequate but of rather poor quality, the adjusters are already stripped so mine are utterly out of focus and it'll take a fair amount of effort to correct it. Right now I'm on the other side of the country, though

bimmerred535i
01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I bought new Hella ellipsoids and it's made a world of difference. Remember to install headlight protectors.

hey thanks

RallyD
01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
with new lenses from bmwlight I improved my visibility greatly.
I baked the lamps in the oven at 250*F then pryed the original glass lenses off. One was stubborn, so I broke it with a hammer then pulled the pieces. I gently cleaned the projector lens. Next I cleaned the seal groove, put silicone in the groove an pressed the new lenses into place.
I've had these in place for well over a year and there is very little pitting and they still work good as new.
I am skeptical that low priced alternative replacement lamp units will perform as good as the factory ellipsoids with new lenses.