PDA

View Full Version : microfilter replacement DIY

shogun
01-24-2009, 10:07 AM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/617298
see inside that pic where he mentions:
"Now I've got a surprise for you… This is how an evaporator from an '88 535i that didn't have a microfilter installed looks like. Can you believe that?"

LunatiC
01-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Whoa, that no-microfilter evaporator is hideous!

Wish there was picture documentation of RHD replacement instructions for the microfilter. All I can find is just some text short notes off bmwe34.net, doesn't really convince me of opening up my RHD and see how the microfilter is going...

russiankid
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Its always a good idea to change the filter.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/525i/S6301766.jpg

Kibokojoe
01-24-2009, 07:45 PM
My 89 535i doesn't have a filter but I bet the 91 735i does

shogun
01-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Whoa, that no-microfilter evaporator is hideous!

Wish there was picture documentation of RHD replacement instructions for the microfilter. All I can find is just some text short notes off bmwe34.net, doesn't really convince me of opening up my RHD and see how the microfilter is going...

For right hand drive cars!

go to my website below, there is under lots of DIY - private links the site linkt to Timm (Tim Meek) in the U.K. , he own an E32 and E38, excellent write up of microfilter change on the E32!
Quite difficult compared to LHD cars. E34 and E32 are basically the same.

@Kibokojoe read this
inctroduction date of microfilters in BMW models

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/leersmd/original/SI%20%20A%20C%20Microfilter%20Introductions.pdf

Kibokojoe
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
7 was build in 11/90. I will need to look in the glove box. Bet ya if it has one it has never been changed.

pgrindstaff
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Am I the only one that hates trying to get the glove box to hang right after doing a job like this?

Kibokojoe
01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Nope the glove box is a pain. Takes me three try's to stop it from squeeking

russiankid
01-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Nope the glove box is a pain. Takes me three try's to stop it from squeeking

Mine still squeaks from the time I replaced the filter. I just turn up the stereo because I am tired of messing with it.:D

BMWCCA1
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Nope the glove box is a pain. Takes me three try's to stop it from squeekingClose the glove box into its latched position first, before you click the hinge locks into their locked position. It's never been a problem for me. Actually a pretty nice system that allows for adjustment. Obviously those complaining have never done a microfilter on an E36! ;)

shogun
01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
ooooh, yes, E36
http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/12/03/changing-bmw-e36-microfilter-diy/
http://users.ids.net/~thompson/bmw/microfilter.html
http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/microfilter/

copied from internet:
Replacement of Microfilter - E36
I finally figured out how to change the microfilter on my '93 325i (E-36), after having spent too much frustrating time trying to locate it. It cannot be seen from any position you can reach in the car, and you have to know where to look to find it. The task takes about 45 minutes. I would like to thank the author of a previous article on this topic, and would like to expand on it, as even with his instructions I had problems finding it. The filter is mounted vertically, at the front end of the center console, right below the center of the bottom of the windshield. To access it, follow these instructions:

Remove Passenger Kick Panel

To remove the passenger kick panel, remove the two phillips head screws at the left and right corners of the rear edge of the panel (the edge closest to the rear of the car), just below the bottom of the glovebox door. Now slide the panel towards the rear of the car (towards you), out of its retaining clip on the firewall. This is easier to do if you first push the air vent protruding through this panel up so it clears the panel, and bend the curved left side of the panel away from the right front edge of the center console cover, so it wont9t catch as you pull the panel out.

Remove the Glovebox
To remove the glovebox, flip the left and right air vents above the glovebox down, then pry them out with your fingers. Remove each black phillips head screw now visible in the air vent holes. Open the glovebox door and, using a small slot screwdriver, pry out the two D shaped screw covers at the top left and right of the glovebox opening. Then remove the two black phillips screws behind these covers. Then, using an offset screwdriver or short phillips bit in a 1/4 socket, remove the two screws at the lower left and right of the glovebox opening. Pull out the glovebox and put it on the floor. You do not need to remove any wires from the rear of the glovebox.

Detach the Electrical Distribution Block

To get clearance for the filter, you must move the electrical distribution block behind the glovebox out of the way. This block is in the upper left area behind the glovebox. It has a large bundle of wires coming in the top, and an orange relay mounted on the left side. This block can be slid up, out of its retaining slides if you first release the catch which holds it in place. The catch is on the right side of the block, about half the way back. Slide a slot screwdriver between the right side of the distribution block and the left side of the plastic electronic module holder, and push the top of the catch in (towards the left side of the car). While holding the catch in, slide the distribution block up and out of its retaining slides. Move it down, away from its normal position.

Move the Passenger Air Vent Pipes

Now you must move the passenger air vent out of the way. To do this, use a flat screwdriver and pry the vent retaining pin out of its hole. This pin is located just to the rear of the front lower, cadmium-plated Torx screw on the HVAC box, at the front of the console. When this pin has been removed, bend the vent pipe down.

Remove the Filter Cover and Filter

The filter cover is hard to find. Just in front of the above mentioned Torx screw on the HVAC box is a cylindical 1 1/2" diameter handle, with 2 rectangular protrusions molded into it. Turn this 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, and pull out the filter cover attached to this handle. Feel inside the opening created for the tab handle on the filter itself. This is slightly above where the round handle was. Push this tab towards the front of the car and then pull it out to the right. You will have to push the vent pipe down, out of the way with your left hand to get enough clearance to remove the filter. If the filter is the original one, the frame will be in one piece and will have to be snapped in two places to allow the filter to bend towards you, so that it will clear a bracket mounted to the car after the filter was installed at the factory. Examine your new filter to see how this works. The plastic frame has two slots and clearance wedges molded into it on the top and bottom edges. With a little force you can snap the frame at these slots, so that the filter now bends in two places. Do this to the old filter, and you can then remove it easily.

Install New Filter

Snap the new filter's frame as described above, and slide it into the filter slot. The filter should be oriented so that the handle is close to the top right corner of the frame. Once the filter is fully inserted, pull the tab towards the rear of the car, seating the filter in place. Replace the filter cover, ensuring that the wide edge of the cover plate is facing the rear of the car. Move the passenger air vent back into position and replace the plastic pin. Slide the electrical distribution block back into place, so that the locking catch snaps back into place. Replace the glovebox, vent grills, and kick panel.

Kibokojoe
01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Listening to it all I can hardly wait ;)

stx133
01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Its always a good idea to change the filter.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/525i/S6301766.jpg

Can i have the bosch part number for the micro filter please..
i have a contact in bosch for good pricing.

BMWCCA1
01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
ooooh, yes, E36
Worse yet is the E36/5 Compact. Now that's a real afterthought!