PDA

View Full Version : Help....my Bimmer Is About To Blow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMW4LIFE
01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
I think my car is finally about to EXPLODE!!!

hahah

so when i was driving i noticed a sqeeking noise coming from the engine bay...at first i thought it was my belts but they all look good...

it then went away...

later tonight i was driving i noticed the noice again...it seems to ONLY occur under acceleration....what could this be?

p.s. its not a constant thing...it happens here and there...i was thinking pully but i could be wrong...

please as i dont want to get stranded as i drive about 70 miles everyday to school and back

thanks!!!!!

Travis_WA
01-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Did you check the tensioners on the belts? Thats all I can think of... Had a grinding noise one time, turned out to be the bearing on my compressor dying.

Paul in NZ
01-23-2009, 03:35 AM
sounds belt to me

ScottyWM
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Water Pump?

e34.535i.sport
01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I think my car is finally about to EXPLODE!!!

hahah

so when i was driving i noticed a sqeeking noise coming from the engine bay...at first i thought it was my belts but they all look good...

it then went away...

later tonight i was driving i noticed the noice again...it seems to ONLY occur under acceleration....what could this be?

p.s. its not a constant thing...it happens here and there...i was thinking pully but i could be wrong...

please as i dont want to get stranded as i drive about 70 miles everyday to school and back

thanks!!!!!

Have you taken the belts off to examine them? I'd remove them and check the underneath... and give the pulley's a spin while you're there see if you can replicate the noise!

BMW4LIFE
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
well i know that when i had my shocks replaced my mechanic was like one of your belts was all messed up and he replaced for free....its a goodyear...blah!

i'm sure that okay but ever since he replaced that i stareted hearing the noise...now it could totally be a chance but then a again you never know...

i was thinking of tanking back to him and telling him thats its making noise...

but he did it for free =\

Tiger
01-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Don't know... alot of time when you replace the belt and tensioners, it will reveal what else is going... like water pump bearing is shot. Give all pulleys some wiggles to see which one is wobbling.

BMW4LIFE
01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Don't know... alot of time when you replace the belt and tensioners, it will reveal what else is going... like water pump bearing is shot. Give all pulleys some wiggles to see which one is wobbling.

yea i will do that for sure!

as far as the water pump goes i replaced that some 60k ago

visually the belts look fine

i dont know anything about this bearing....is it expensive to replace?

xspeedy
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
as far as the water pump goes i replaced that some 60k ago

Should have been replaced again 55,000 miles ago.

ScottyWM
01-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Should have been replaced again 55,000 miles ago.

Hahahahaha... Sounds about right! I just checked my records to make sure, I've replaced my water pump 4 times (once was pre-emptive). So 5 water pumps in 190k miles = about 40k miles per pump. Crap, it's almost time to change it again!!

And check your tensioner pulleys.

bimmerred535i
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I had a similar noise and it turned out to be the air box bolt rattled loose and was making a squeak every time i would hit the gas because of the airbox being under pressure.

BMW4LIFE
01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I had a similar noise and it turned out to be the air box bolt rattled loose and was making a squeak every time i would hit the gas because of the airbox being under pressure.

well its more of a screaming....

it is coming from the belt area of the engine bay....

i want a HONDA......NOT!!!!!!!!! ;)

well maybe an Acura....lol

93 525 Paul
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
well its more of a screaming....
it is coming from the belt area of the engine bay....
i want a HONDA......NOT!!!!!!!!! ;)
well maybe an Acura....lol

Don't support Japanese trade policy any more than you have to.
We have the exact same car and I've replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley on mine. Both had bearings going out and making noises. Don't wait until one of them freezes up because it'll throw the belt and strand you. Many times when a bearing is going out, it will free spin OK but under load it has issues.
Good luck.

632 Regal
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
or it could just be a crappy belt. I swear since I replaced my belts I have a cold noise issue and even bought an alternator because the noise gets louder if I turn the lights on... bought the alternator 2 years ago and never installed it because it never made noise in the summer when its easy to work on. Everything is tight and good just the slipping sound of belts. I think my belts are Conti? But never had an issue before new belts. I am going to spray WD40 on the things and see if that makes any difference* (please do not try this at home)