PDA

View Full Version : Darn ABS Light On Again, Car not shifting

Spoonerpaws14
01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
[CENTER]/CENTER]
ABS ASC light was coming on and car not shifting (automatic transmission)

Husband replaced the passenger rear ABS Sensor

For one whole day, the car was fine, no lights, car shifting okay.

Now, less then one week later, lights are on again, and car not shifting.

Any thoughts on what to check next??:(

Ross
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm curious to know why the sensor was changed. Were the codes read?
You may have a fault in the wiring for that sensor that is intermittent causing the code. The module that controls the system in E39s is notorious for failure. I'm about to purchase my third.
Module Masters can usually repair them for $300, otherwise prepare for a chill at the dealer.

Bill R.
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Usually after you replace the sensor once and the same code keeps coming up then as Ross mentioned, its almost always the bosch 5.7 control module.
Gavin at module masters is very reasonable and it comes with a 5 year warranty. You can drive the car with the module off, you just won't have ABS brakes , just conventional brakes, and if you send him yours to be rebuilt it won't be necessary to program it. www.modulemaster.com

Spoonerpaws14
01-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm curious to know why the sensor was changed. Were the codes read?
You may have a fault in the wiring for that sensor that is intermittent causing the code. The module that controls the system in E39s is notorious for failure. I'm about to purchase my third.
Module Masters can usually repair them for $300, otherwise prepare for a chill at the dealer.

No, my husband had to talked to someone at a garage that told him to change the sensor

We did go to (non BMW place) Auto place to get codes read last night and it came back as PO153 and PO430

Thanks for your reply

Spoonerpaws14
01-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Usually after you replace the sensor once and the same code keeps coming up then as Ross mentioned, its almost always the bosch 5.7 control module.
Gavin at module masters is very reasonable and it comes with a 5 year warranty. You can drive the car with the module off, you just won't have ABS brakes , just conventional brakes, and if you send him yours to be rebuilt it won't be necessary to program it. www.modulemaster.com

Thanks Bill, Codes read last night at (non BMW) auto place came back as PO153 and PO430

Ross
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Those codes are from the engine management system. O2 and catalyst respectively. This isn't related to your ABS touble.
Bill, would a speed sensor cause it not to shift?

winfred
01-23-2009, 09:34 AM
if the speed signal is not getting to the tranny it can get pissed off, a 97 should have the older less failure prone module, it is not built like the later smaller one that seems to be installed in about every vehicle built after 98-99 (the bosses suburban even had one die) it is more like the e36 unit with the floppy board inside going to the solenoids and runs a separate computer to run it

take a look at the other rear abs sensor and see if it is bad too, they seem to be a problem on the early e39s and the wires can break off where it attaches to the frame, i just had a 97 where the left rear took out the speedo even though it is supposed to run off the right, but when i looked the right side was crap too it just hadn't snapped off yet, also double check the engine tranny and abs system for codes, sometimes the code will post to more then one system and keep things disabled

would a speed sensor cause it not to shift?

Bill R.
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
the 5.7 module since her symptoms sound like the 5.7 failure... Also if they took it to an autozone or similar they don't have the capability to diagnose ABS or Tranny codes only generic obdII codes which would account for the codes that came up... could be old or unrelated..
Yeah, Winfred i had to do a GMC denali with 4 wheel steer the other day with the bosch abs module failure.
Today is another fun ABS job.. the tundra that the packrats got into the a/c blower system also ate up most of the abs wiring.. spent 5 hours yesterday rewiring and thought i had it done, go to start and ABS light back on. I'll scan it and try to narrow down where the damage is this time.

if the speed signal is not getting to the tranny it can get pissed off, a 97 should have the older less failure prone module, it is not built like the later smaller one that seems to be installed in about every vehicle built after 98-99 (the bosses suburban even had one die) it is more like the e36 unit with the floppy board inside going to the solenoids and runs a separate computer to run it

take a look at the other rear abs sensor and see if it is bad too, they seem to be a problem on the early e39s and the wires can break off where it attaches to the frame, i just had a 97 where the left rear took out the speedo even though it is supposed to run off the right, but when i looked the right side was crap too it just hadn't snapped off yet, also double check the engine tranny and abs system for codes, sometimes the code will post to more then one system and keep things disabled

Spoonerpaws14
01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
the 5.7 module since her symptoms sound like the 5.7 failure... Also if they took it to an autozone or similar they don't have the capability to diagnose ABS or Tranny codes only generic obdII codes which would account for the codes that came up... could be old or unrelated..
Yeah, Winfred i had to do a GMC denali with 4 wheel steer the other day with the bosch abs module failure.
Today is another fun ABS job.. the tundra that the packrats got into the a/c blower system also ate up most of the abs wiring.. spent 5 hours yesterday rewiring and thought i had it done, go to start and ABS light back on. I'll scan it and try to narrow down where the damage is this time.

Thanks everyone, I think this car will have to go into the shop as it is too cold here now to work in an unheated garage

At least we will know if the shop is ripping us off or not