PDA

View Full Version : Air con Problem

karl1171
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
My aircon has stopped working: Its winter here in the uk and I use to aid demisting when the weather is cold and damp

I've realised that the compressor clutch engages for about 5 seconds then releases for about a minute.

Could lack of refrigerant be the problem or is it likely to be more serious?

If it is lack of refrigerant, is it possible the colder weather has caused some klind of seal to perish?

bmwrp8
01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
My aircon has stopped working: Its winter here in the uk and I use to aid demisting when the weather is cold and damp

I've realised that the compressor clutch engages for about 5 seconds then releases for about a minute.

Could lack of refrigerant be the problem or is it likely to be more serious?

If it is lack of refrigerant, is it possible the colder weather has caused some klind of seal to perish?
had ad same prob. before but as wierd as it sounds its because my alt. before only charges up to 12.4volts and when a/c on drops to 11.++. might worth checking too but aside from that check your freon level and compressor incl. clutch

Lordsneldon
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
yeah im here in the UK and mine does exactley what yours does! It worked fine in the summer, and i switched it on the other day, and noticed the compressor doing the same as yours.....i can only suggest that maybe it does this becasue of the cold outside temperature?? but when i did stop using the air con at the end of the summer i noticed the air not getting as cold as it once was and the compressor making a bit of a noise, so i would also go with it may need re-gassing.