PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock question SOT e34vs e36

ahlem
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a friend who has a 1998 328i with ignition lock and functioning issues. Are the threads here going to be helpful? Did they change things from e34 to e36? He relies on the car for daily transportation and can't get the key to start the car when it turns. The steering wheel is unlocked and power comes on to the electricals but no starter engagement.

Polley
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I have had problems with this before. I only know of two things that happened to me in this problem. First the starter wires came loss check all of them, there is three or four of them I am pretty sure there are four but maybe three. Then the second thing that happened is my ignition went out, that really sucked and I had to replace the whole ignition. That was not cool. But I would check the starter would be your best bet. I have also heard that starters dye in e36's but that has never happened to me nor do I know if that is true. So I would do it in steps. Check all the wiring to the starter and then listen to see if the starter is making any noise. Good Luke.

-Polley

Ross
01-21-2009, 08:36 AM
If the steering unlocks and power to most things is on the lock isn't the issue unless it won't turn all the way. Maybe the switch but more likely the starter solenoid or another electrical fault.

Bill R.
01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Most likely its a ews problem.. He could take it to the dealer and have the ews module aligned. Later ews has starter kill on it beside fuel pump and ignition. But first i would check all the obvious, battery terminals, starter solenoid terminal connection, relays etc.

ahlem
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
The car was towed to the dealer. It was the lock cylinder. I believe he got out for under $400 plus the tow. The part was about $125 and labor was $250. Thanks for the input.