PDA

View Full Version : Removing muffler hangers...any tricks

Kibokojoe
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Now that I have dropped the muffler a few times and have experienced the terror of removing the rubber rings from the muffler hangers, is there a trick or a special tool to assist in the removal of these rubber rings. There has got to be a better way. :)

DaveVoorhis
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Big-ass screwdriver.

Nope, even bigger than that.

Ferret
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Big-ass screwdriver.

Nope, even bigger than that.

Breaker bar works quite well too :P

Ross
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Ideally cut the old ones and replace with more flexible new parts.
The outboard one first then the inboard, you'll see why. Oh yeah, big screwdriver and some lubricant. Forget it it the cold.

Kibokojoe
01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Always manage to nick or tear them, what a pain

yaofeng
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Drop the rear bumper. Believe me, it is easier.

e34.535i.sport
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Jack the exhaust up if you're talking about the rubber mounts... grants u easy access!

If you mean the ones on the backbox (very end) then take the rear bumper off... Piece of piss then.

Let us know.

632 Regal
01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Drop the rear bumper. Believe me, it is easier.

I had to do that, no room to reinstall on my rig.

MBXB
05-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Did this as instructed:

http://www.bmwforums.info/5-series-guides/1798-guide-bmw-e34-bumper-removal.html

That plastic was pretty brittle.

I amy have to buy new plastic; or use a lot of JB weld

Bill R.
05-30-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't understand the problem, are you unbolting the brackets first that the hangars are attached to? or are you trying to pry the rubber doughnuts off? I always unbolt the brackets,support the muffler with something and the rubber doughnuts come right off.

MBXB
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Not really a problem, Bill.
The rubber donuts broke and the muffler was hanging on held only by the bumper trim panel. Luckily, I was pulling into the garage.
The smaller trim panels cracked with the slightest torque.
Oh well, 20 years in service in the FL sun isn't bad.

632 Regal
05-30-2014, 06:00 PM
My 94 I had to drop the bumper to install new hangers, the 95 I was able to do with the bumper on.

You need the black strips on the sides?

I need a new bumper cover, the one I have is cracked and repaired, kinda ugly.

Greazytoddsgarage
05-31-2014, 09:02 PM
I lift at resonators disconnect header connection raise jack undo donuts, wife holds tail pipe ends, remove muffler mounts lower jack and all good.

TechnoWeeny
07-21-2014, 03:48 AM
Having just done this same thing on my 95/540i I found it much easier to drop the rear bumper, jack up the exhaust (gently) and then use a bit of lube (WD40 or similar) and a stinking big screw driver and the suckers come right off. Just something to mention at this point though is, that I live in QLD Australia, so sub zero temps are not something I have to condoned with :-)

mattyb
07-22-2014, 05:34 AM
hey techno, how did the restoration end up? are we going to see some pics with some dialogue?

TechnoWeeny
07-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi Matt,
Still trying to find someone local who can do the Hood and pillar relining for me, then I'll be back into the "Put all the pieces in the right spot" stage. Had some great feedback from "Leatherique and PPC Australia" who liked the job I did on the leather restoration so much they bought the video's, music and all rights to it, as well as giving me a free Leather steering wheel restoration kit.
I'm planning on having it back on the road by summer, so the old girl can once again feel the sun of her face and the wind through her sun roof :-)

MBXB
07-24-2014, 01:15 AM
That's kinda what I ended up doing.
I used a spray bottle with Dawn soap and water
and a 3 foot tire iron ($9) from Harbor Freight. It has enough mass and leverage that the donuts popped right into place.

genphreak
07-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi Matt,
Still trying to find someone local who can do the Hood and pillar relining for me, then I'll be back into the "Put all the pieces in the right spot" stage. Had some great feedback from "Leatherique and PPC Australia" who liked the job I did on the leather restoration so much they bought the video's, music and all rights to it, as well as giving me a free Leather steering wheel restoration kit.
I'm planning on having it back on the road by summer, so the old girl can once again feel the sun of her face and the wind through her sun roof :-)

Great work mate when you can get it mate! And you went and got it... do some more!