PDA

View Full Version : Headliner Express 1/8th inch Foam Back Material

shogun
01-19-2009, 10:56 PM
they got a lot of new colours and other stuff, also material for cabriolets, or even they can serve you when you have an old 2002, which was actually my first BMW back in 1975.

Have a look at their new designed site
http://www.headlinerexpress.com/

dennyg
01-20-2009, 12:36 AM
239 dollars for headliner material is excessive. Then you have to buy the contact cement and do the work.

I can get a headliner recovered for one hundred including eighth inch material by a local professional. Its not a perfect match on color but unless you recover all the pillars and rear deck the material on these older cars has faded a lot from new anyway.

shogun
01-20-2009, 01:12 AM
There is always cheaper stuff available. First of all, if you have a sunroof, you need 1/8 material, otherwise the headliner material is too thick and it will touch while the sunroof is moving. Also the shape around handles and the sunroof with not be so nice.

Then the real good material is 'flameproof' or difficult to burn. And it is also a bit stretchable.

I am importing headliner material on my own from a maker in German by roles and I know the wholesale prices. So if I would be in the U.S. , I would be a competitor to headliner express, to say so.
I just imported a role of 50 meters in the usual width and thickness. So if material comes into a country, you have to pay for freight, import duty, import handling charge, local tax, inland transport in the country of arrival and so on.
Then our Mr. Headliner Express runs a business, he has to pay for his office, rent etc pp.

I buy the stuff for me, friends and car club members, and some for sale in the local auction house, so merely for fun and happy friends.

I can get a headliner recovered for one hundred including eighth inch material by a local professional.

you mean for all material, glue, and the work paid for? With official invoice?
Including removing the old material and cleaning the old stuff from the headliner properly?

Or ask here for the price, if they have original ones in 1/8 inch
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/Headliners.htm

attack eagle
01-21-2009, 12:11 AM
what is the deal with invoices?

You guys have to show invoices for work performed at your inspections or something?

Who cares about an invoice...
off the books is even better. no tax, better pricing.

BTW

headliner express is the NEW name for ebay seller oldstock4less. I bet his office space for this material side of the business is his two car garage and a shed.

last year geoff redid his touring headliner with material from the same guy and it was $130 for the material, $99 for a sedan. If he is charging $239 now it is a blatant rip-off. 4 yards of volvo 1/8th is still $110.

dennyg
01-21-2009, 12:36 AM
He uses eighth inch material for headliner and thicker stuff for the rest because its not needed. The last job this guy did for me was Two A and C pillars and a rear deck from a 1995 740I. Cost was 95.00 for the job. Very reasonable and good quality work.

I think the difference is small town one owner shop and he is reasonable in the work he performs. He is by no means a hack. Last time I was there he was replacing the interior of a 1965 Jaguar and refitting a roof on old Packard.

I know goods and services are more expensive in Japan. I just think the cost of the material is a lot based on my experience. I meant no disrespect to you Shogun.

shogun
01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
I do not buy from him, because we import it directly from Germany. This was to be just a hint where to get the right material (1/8 inch) in the U.S., as most shops only have the thicker material in the U.S. for u.S. cars. Buy wherever you want, that is not my business.

@attack eagle: we do it for our friends from the club and our DIY group, because there is no such shop here which deals with that here in Japan for the E32 /E34/E31 headliners and most of the members do not have the space to do it.
I once imported that for my own headliner and then my friends asked me to import it and distribute to them, in the end I ended up that they came to me to help them to do it because they had no experience and no space to do it at home.
That is not a business, it is a private help among car enthusiasts. Just what is left over is sold.

shogun
01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
another interesting shop http://www.yourautotrim.com/

they even have seat cloths, upholstery tools etc., check these out too