PDA

View Full Version : E34's have inefficient/wasteful windshield washing systems...

RockJock
01-19-2009, 12:05 AM
It’s been extremely balmy here over the last few days. The snow has been melting and the roads are sloppy and filthy. These road conditions require lots and lots of windshield washer fluid. However, out of any car I’ve ever owned the E34 is the most inefficient and wasteful when in comes to using up the fluid. I just found that used 2 gallons in the last two days :(:(. With other cars I’ve owned I usually got about a month out of a gallon because the systems used the fluid much more sparingly. Anybody here have the same complaint?

shogun
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
no complaint. Others maybe try to save money in installing smaller pumps.
Pre-condition for all is
good wiper blades
wiper correctly installed in the correct angle, there is a special tool for that
wiper nozzles correctly installed/directed, there is a instruction too how to adjust them
wiper nozzles cleaned
good and proper washer fluid

RockJock
01-19-2009, 12:31 AM
no complaint. Others maybe try to save money in installing smaller pumps.
Pre-condition for all is
good wiper blades
wiper correctly installed in the correct angle, there is a special tool for that
wiper nozzles correctly installed/directed, there is a instruction too how to adjust them
wiper nozzles cleaned
good and proper washer fluid

Thanks Erich, I'll try a set of new blades. Could you please tell me more about said tool? As for the nozzles, they're aimed correctly and they're very clean. The fluid is also good. They use gravel on the roads here so when the snow starts melting the roads are always dirty/wet and windshields are constantly being coated with filthy water that dries almost immediately....smudging, thus the fluid is crucial.

Paul in NZ
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
intensive clean your freind.....

shogun
01-19-2009, 01:05 AM
chattering windshield wipers? How to fix
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/292534/

RockJock
01-19-2009, 01:11 AM
intensive clean your freind.....

It doesn't matter what fluid is used. You need to squirt fluid every few minutes/seconds in these conditions because with the traffic there's a constant filthy mist in the air :(:( .... anybody else know what I'm talking about??

RockJock
01-19-2009, 01:19 AM
chattering windshield wipers? How to fix
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/292534/

Thanks Erich, fortunately they do not chatter, but this is good info for future reference...

bsell
01-19-2009, 03:49 AM
It doesn't matter what fluid is used. You need to squirt fluid every few minutes/seconds in these conditions because with the traffic there's a constant filthy mist in the air :(:( .... anybody else know what I'm talking about??

You remember the song 'Purple Haze?' I always think of that one but change it to 'White Haze' here in Germay. The salt mixes with the moisture on the roads which turns the tire spray into instantly drying white haze/film as soon as it hits the windshield.

So the driver is faced with the choice of either peering through an ever darkening shield of water drops or sweeping the drops away just to leave an inpenatrable film of white, knowing full well he will be almost continuously blasting away the salt film with a limited supply of washer fluid vs. an unlimited supply of salted tire spray.

It really does get rather ridiculous...I feel the OP's pain,

Brian

DaveVoorhis
01-19-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm hearing you. It was a bit better last week, but the week before I was spraying wash every few minutes on the motorway, only to get about sixty seconds worth of clean windshield before visibility was compromised.

Ross
01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I'll bet you follow other cars closely. Staying a further(safe) distance back will keep you out of most of their spray.

BMWDriver
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
I'll bet you follow other cars closely. Staying a further(safe) distance back will keep you out of most of their spray.

+1. I notice it when I drive too close to someone, get passed or pass. Trucks make a hell of a spray too. I stay about 1.5 - 2 seconds behind cars and stay in the clear... literally !:D

fin
01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
With the cold snap last week I had to drain the wiper fluid that I had and replace it with 'winter blend' fluid. The 'summer blend' was frozen in the tank and needed to be thawed to drain.

I just plan on using a lot of it. The spouse is a 'big gap' driver leaving plenty of space between herself and the car she is following. She uses virtually no fluid at all. Uh, 'big gap' probably isn't a term I would necessarily use around others without a high comfort level. Especially the our cherished women. So please don't mention it to my wife.

Now is not the time of year to hurry up to die. Drive like my wife when it's snowing.

Cheers,

Fin

RockJock
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Good point Ross. I usually leave more than enough “gap” to have it fill-up in zero time; passing trucks are a pain as well. This weekend I racked up about 200 miles on city freeways in pretty much bumper to bumper traffic and the road spray was particularly nasty. The washing system works great but it does use a $hit load of fluid (4 healthy streams of fluid in both of my E34’s vs. a fine spray; either from hood nozzles or nozzles on the wipers in other cars I’ve owned).

RockJock
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
With the cold snap last week I had to drain the wiper fluid that I had and replace it with 'winter blend' fluid. The 'summer blend' was frozen in the tank and needed to be thawed to drain.

I just plan on using a lot of it. The spouse is a 'big gap' driver leaving plenty of space between herself and the car she is following. She uses virtually no fluid at all. Uh, 'big gap' probably isn't a term I would necessarily use around others without a high comfort level. Especially the our cherished women. So please don't mention it to my wife.

Now is not the time of year to hurry up to die. Drive like my wife when it's snowing.

Cheers,

Fin

Speaking of "gap" I was going to start another thread about safety distance. There’s 200 mile commute (one way) that I regularly do for meetings and on our highways it's common for things to get congested pretty quickly and before you know it several cars have snuck into the space in front of you and someone else (usually some kid in an F350 with a 6” lift) is less than a car length behind you and the traffic is moving at 90 miles an hour. Insanely dangerous! People are so, so stupid. I was told that in Germany they use camera/radar setups that measure “gap” and if there’s an infraction you get nailed hard. A 100 mile/hr highway speed limit would be safe if people didn’t tailgate, except for the wildlife.

repenttokyo
01-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Now that I have disconnected my headlight washers, I am quite pleased with how long a tank lasts me.

RockJock
01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Now that I have disconnected my headlight washers, I am quite pleased with how long a tank lasts me.

Thanks! Funny thing, I had lunch with Tim today and he suggested I do the same thing to mine. I'm going to give it a shot but I thought that the headlight washers were fed by a separate reservoir?!?!

632 Regal
01-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks! Funny thing, I had lunch with Tim today and he suggested I do the same thing to mine. I'm going to give it a shot but I thought that the headlight washers were fed by a separate reservoir?!?!

i didnt know headlight washers were active when reading this thread. Another thing to try is not to have heat directed at the windshield. If the sheild is colder it wont dry as fast as when warm and can save the washes down to wiping as needed with a squirt here and there.

Ross
01-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Having the gap fill up is the problem around here also. Anytime I'm able to have a decent following gap some dipshit sees it as an invitation to A. cut across my bow B.tailgate the guy in front while anxiously waiting to do it over again to someone in the lane he(she) just left.
At least are washer resevoirs are large

fin
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Ross,

Is the lady in your avatar checking your washer fluid level from the bottom? Or adjusting the headlights in a manner that I wouldn't have suggested?
Does she need her headlights washed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Fin

P.S. I'm an unrepentant gap filler. I've done it before. I'll do it again.

repenttokyo
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM

It really depends on your reservoir setup. I've seen three e34's parked side by side with 3 different tank setups. Mine is at the front right of the car, and I have a pump for the windshield and also a pump for the headlights on the same tank. I removed my headlight pump and sealed the opening with a cap and some silicone and never looked back. Much easier than fixing the many leaks I had in the headlight system, and to tell the truth I don't miss it at all.

tim eh?
01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
It really depends on your reservoir setup. I've seen three e34's parked side by side with 3 different tank setups. Mine is at the front right of the car, and I have a pump for the windshield and also a pump for the headlights on the same tank. I removed my headlight pump and sealed the opening with a cap and some silicone and never looked back. Much easier than fixing the many leaks I had in the headlight system, and to tell the truth I don't miss it at all.

... he suggested I do the same thing to mine. I'm going to give it a shot but I thought that the headlight washers were fed by a separate reservoir?!?!

i think i was there and witnessed the 3 different tanks... my headlight washers were also fed from the main tank via a second pump (which also leaked) about halfway up, about even with the level sensor. the tank towards the windshield (also disconnected) was for intensive cleaning fluid... not sure how it all works (which is why i just disconnected all of it).
when in doubt, tear it out :D in later models i believe that tank is a coolant overflow reservoir. maybe the tank is canadian models only?

for leaky plastics i use a handy squeeze tube of 'form-a-gasket' available at (u guessed it) canadian tire.

thanks for lunch and the ride btw - great meeting you!

i think that is a bit harsh, ross - maybe the chicago winter isn't as bad as people are saying...
i know in montreal my windshield gets filthy even when there is no traffic around at all, but montreal is a filthy place (so is edmonton these days)

RockJock
01-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys..

It’s gotten colder again, good time to wash the road grime off my car (stocked upon lock de-icer :D:D), I’ll be going through less windshield washer fluid once again… :D..happy..happy

I double checked and both my E34’s have a single chamber reservoir (one pump) on the drivers side and a dual chamber (two pump) reservoir on the passenger side (the lower volume chamber=intensive clean; headlights). I’ll pull everything out this summer to check/fix any potential leaks…