PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration

Kibokojoe
01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
How do you remove discoloration? Evidently the PO never took the license plate off and cleaned under it

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/discoloring1.jpg

Rus
01-17-2009, 10:39 PM
An electric polisher with some mild polishing compound should help. If the darker area is the original color and the lighter areas are just sun-bleached, then nothing out there will blend the old color into the new.

xspeedy
01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
If I approached it, I would wash the area well and follow up with a clay session to remove the stubborn embedded dirt. Then I would go over the area with a good paint cleaner and/or polish (not wax, but proper polish like Menzerna).

Kibokojoe
01-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes I have a clay bar I will give it a go

xspeedy
01-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes I have a clay bar I will give it a go

You'll probably still need a paint cleaner/polish. If you are doing it by hand, just get some Meguiars paint cleaner from your local auto parts store and go over it many passes.

uscharalph
01-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I've never cleaned under the license plate either. LOL!!!!!

bsell
01-18-2009, 04:13 AM
I've never cleaned under the license plate either. LOL!!!!!

I figured he was talking about the roundel...that is a screwdriver and rag job after a trip to the dealer for a new one. Its much easier to do her rear than the front;)...Don't forget the new grommets!

I hope the OP posts an 'after' shot. The original owner of my '08 328 put the 'U.S.' style plates on the car to keep the 'suntan' in the same shape as a U.S. plate. He didn't want a long-plate shadow showing once the car gets shipped to the States. I may have to put the long plates on the car soon due to regulatory changes, so yes, this is a very selfish request!:D

Brian

Kibokojoe
01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes new grommets. PO used metal screws and ruined the originals

bsell
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes new grommets. PO used metal screws and ruined the originals

Uh, I was talking about that round thing on the trunk lid, not the license plate mounting points...

Brian

Kibokojoe
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh yes, always replace those grommets

BMWCCA1
01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
How do you remove discoloration? Evidently the PO never took the license plate off and cleaned under it.Most people would probably just clean it as best as possible, put some wax on it, and put a license plate over it! ;)