PDA

View Full Version : OT: Glove Box Door Items in a Porsche 356

shogun
01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
that was a perfect glovebox in those old days in the Porsche 356, even glycerin

On the inner surface of the glove box door on all coupes and cabriolets built after 1956 are three elastic bands (date not certain, VINs 56175, 56472 and 56836 do not have the upholstered panel or elastic bands). When the cars were first purchased, the bands served to secure three items: a small plastic bottle of glycerin, a package of fuses, and usually a plastic document pouch.

The glycerin bottle was placed so that the top was "up" when the door was closed.

with pics http://www.356registry.com/techinfo/research/glove_box_door_items.html

bsell
01-18-2009, 04:15 AM
that was a perfect glovebox in those old days in the Porsche 356, even glycerin

with pics http://www.356registry.com/techinfo/research/glove_box_door_items.html

I hate to ask, but what was the 'glycerin' used for, early K-Y?:p

Brian

shogun
01-18-2009, 05:03 AM
The text of the booklet reads as follows:

Dear Customer: Though your Porsche's door lock resists the entry of water, the danger of condensation water is still imminent with sub-zero weather. Therefore, to prevent it from freezing fast, inject liguid of attached spray-bottle into key slot, operate both key and knob, and clean lock and vicinity thereafter.

Do not mix or confound with food! Not dangerous when got into touch with the skin, even if slight injuries occur!

Apparently the translator was not a native English speaker! One can only surmise that the last sentence means to say that if one has a cut in their skin, the glycerin will not cause a health problem.

Actually I still use glycerin in these days, cheapest and good product.

another comment on a VW site
http://www.type34.org/article.php?story=2003021713062671

Having just retired from my company, (custom molded rubber goods), after 45 years, I would offer the
following:

Do yourself a favor, after installation of any rubber seal that's going to be exposed to the atmosphere, go
to a drug store/pharmacy, whatever, and purchase a bottle of gylcerine. Use a cotton swab and smear the
gylcerine over the rubber, then use a clean soft linen cloth to rub into the surface, and remove the excess. Rub it well into the rubber surface, do it twice if you have too. Glycerine is very viscous and will attract dust if not carefully rubbed into the rubber surface. Don't just slather it on, it will smear windshields etc. but can be easily removed from the glass or paint with any windshield cleaner./QUOTE]

[QUOTE]taken from VWtype3.org's mailing list..

I know this has been said before, but I decided to try using glycerin on my pop-out glass rubber to see how it worked. For anyone who hasn't tried it, it is truly amazing! That rubber basically needed to be replaced as far as I could tell, but it now seals well and looks pretty good too! I reapplied the glycerin over several days because the rubber just kept soaking it in. Once it was all washed off I can't really tell you what a transformation had taken place....