PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky strut towers

rickm
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
The other day I hopped in the car to go somewhere and as I backed out there were loud squeaks from the front end, sounding like they're coming from the strut towers. It has been cold up here (-6).

Could the shock/struct tower bushings up front be gone or need replacing? I did them at 140k or so, I now have 188k on the car.

xspeedy
01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Are you sure it isn't the hood against the catches? When I bought my E34, there was a squeaking over bumps that sounded like it was coming from inside the glove box, but it was really the hood. New hood struts resolved it - the old ones were very worn.

632 Regal
01-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Dave,
my passenger front side has a creaking happenin when real cold, seems to go away when warmer. I think it may be the strut binding internally somehow. If you pop the top cap off then push the front end down you might be able to zero in on the sound.

The other day I hopped in the car to go somewhere and as I backed out there were loud squeaks from the front end, sounding like they're coming from the strut towers. It has been cold up here (-6).

Could the shock/struct tower bushings up front be gone or need replacing? I did them at 140k or so, I now have 188k on the car.

Bill R.
01-18-2009, 01:17 AM
was out there :)

Dave,
my passenger front side has a creaking happenin when real cold, seems to go away when warmer. I think it may be the strut binding internally somehow. If you pop the top cap off then push the front end down you might be able to zero in on the sound.

nirvana19
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
My car does that sometimes when it's cold in the rear towers, haven't searched for what's causing it yet.

smcgowan
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
The wifes car seems to have the same issue. Had the mech check the suspension and nothing. It didn't squeak. It does seems to do it more when cold.. I suspected spring pads but the mech stated they were fine.

rickm
01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
It's more pronounced when backing out of the driveway, which drops a bit before hitting the road. Or if I pull out the front end goes "urt urt". (boy, that didn't sound right). When it's cold it's loud, when it's warm it's not. Usually after going down the road it disappears.

I'll opt for the cheap approach to fixing this - "turn up the stereo".