PDA

View Full Version : I've been hit :S

pgrindstaff
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
This afternoon on my way home from work I had the pleasure of navigating heavier than normal Atlanta traffic. I was 2 exits from getting off the interstate when traffic slowed abruptly in my lane. I jabbed the brakes pretty good but had plenty of room in front of me. Seeing I was safe ahead of me, I checked my rearview as I always do and see a car bearing down on me. A quick check of the side mirrors looking for a way out gave me no hope and I got whacked.

The damage isn't too bad from what I can tell, just need some bumper work. Obviously the full extent of the damage cannot be assessed until the bumper is pulled but it looks like I may have gotten fairly lucky.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I don't carry a camera.
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6495&stc=1&d=1231976190http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6496&stc=1&d=1231976190http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6497&stc=1&d=1231976190

Ross
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like just a bumper cover, plenty used for sale, maybe even a color match.
Be sure to check carefully for any kinks in the trunk and make sure it's still water tight.

pgrindstaff
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
There do not appear to be any kinks, dings, or other problems besides the scraping and cracking on the bumper and it being pushed forward a little. The gap on either side of the trunk lid is off a bit as well but I am unsure if it was like that before. The trunk is still water tight so that's good. I am sure it is just a matter of aligning the trunk lid, though I am not sure how one would go about doing that.

If I find my camera I will put a couple of better pictures up, not that there is much more to see.

repenttokyo
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
those bumpers are surprisingly strong, mine is still doing well after that jerk pushed me through a drivethu last summer in his pickup.

pgrindstaff
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree. This is my second time being rear-ended in an e34 and I swear the noise the wreck makes is louder than you'd expect for the amount of damage done. Structurally everything seems fine, but now I have another ugly spot on my car. Here's to insurance not screwing me over this time.

LunatiC
01-15-2009, 03:46 AM
The shocks behind the E34 bumpers take a good hit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of the 'bang' that you hear when someone rear-ends you are those shocks at work. That's why you think "f&&k, my back's probably totally gone" and you have a look around and it's just the bumper busted up a bit.

pgrindstaff
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Is it standard practice to replace the bumper shock absorbers after an accident? I went had got an estimate for repairs and it does not include them.

Just wondering...

LunatiC
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure. I have been shunted a couple of times before, but not as serious as you, just cosmetic gouges in the bumper which was patched up and painted.

Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that these shocks can only take one hit before being replaced. I'm pretty sure I am still on the same shocks that were there on my car when I bought it, and since then I have been shunted a couple of times and the shocks still do their job.

If your whole back end was physically ripped from the rest of the chassis in a more serious accident, then perhaps so.

whiskychaser
01-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that these shocks can only take one hit before being replaced. .
I think they are a one hit only - part of the crumple zone. Somebody ran up my arse I'd want them replaced ready for next time