PDA

View Full Version : Car very Foggy

Golgade
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Hello,
I just had a few questions and was wondering if anyone had an answer! First question: my car gets really foggy when you first get in it and stays foggy for more then 5 minutes after having the defroster on, and if you like if go out in the middle of the day it will be foggy before I even get in it. It doesnt appear to having any leaks anywhere, so I am trying to figure out where it is coming from, and what I can do to get rid of it.
Also,
The rear defrost doesnt work, not at all. I was wondering if there where more then the one fuse up front for it, and where it was located.
Thanks
Dan Lafley
95 530i

saluki540i
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Do you smell coolant? I'd check for a heater core leak.

bsell
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Check for water under all of the carpets to include under the spare tire. You have excess moisture in the car from either very wet floor mats, leaking sunroof drains or some other source.

If the defroster smells sweet, then you have a leaking heater core. But this would be accompanied by slimy windows. Like when you try to clean them, there is a greyish film the windex won't cut through.

Brian

tim eh?
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Check for water under all of the carpets to include under the spare tire. You have excess moisture in the car from either very wet floor mats, leaking sunroof drains or some other source.
+1

Do you smell coolant? I'd check for a heater core leak.+1

mine gets really foggy if there is snow or ice covering the air intake (under the wipers).

bubba966
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Does it still take forever to defrost if you've got the AC on?

And there's fuses underneath the rear seat besides the ones in the engine bay.

632 Regal
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
+1

Does it still take forever to defrost if you've got the AC on? .

I have to alternate the AC on and off as needed especially when real damp... always have and probably always will.

Russell
01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
+1 on the AC to remove fogging up on the inside.

dennyg
01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Anti fog works good. Same makers of rain ex. Have to apply every few months but its effective. Just silicone in a bottle I think.

DueyT
01-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Not that you want to hear it, but +1 as well for the heater core possibility. Exactly what mine did...once it gets hotter and the piping expands, the core/seals/junctions tightened up and the heater would stop fogging and start defrosting. Prepare your self for 8-10 hours of Re&re'ing the core.