PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing/hub noise

micjordan
06-03-2004, 05:45 PM
I recently had the right front wheel bearings go bad. So yesterday I got the replacement hub from bma and put it on. Before there was a distinct dragging on the car and a whining at higher and higher speeds. Now the dragging and whining are gone but theres a new sound. The best way I can describe it is if you roll a saw blade across a wooden table. Its the quick dull bump bump bump bump and it increases directly with the speed of the car. Any ideas?

Bill R.
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
the lugs are loose the wheel will go bump bump like you describe...

I recently had the right front wheel bearings go bad. So yesterday I got the replacement hub from bma and put it on. Before there was a distinct dragging on the car and a whining at higher and higher speeds. Now the dragging and whining are gone but theres a new sound. The best way I can describe it is if you roll a saw blade across a wooden table. Its the quick dull bump bump bump bump and it increases directly with the speed of the car. Any ideas?

micjordan
06-03-2004, 06:00 PM
the lugs are definately tight. the only thing that didnt go as planned is the 2 O shaped inserts that go into the hub from either side. The one on the engine side wouldnt come off so I had to leave it rather than put the new one on. And the new one that goes on the wheel side wouldnt fit on. It seemed to be only microns off because it would start to go on and get stuck. So I had to use both of the old O shaped pieces. They appeared to be in good condition and showed no difference from the new ones but ya never know. Could this be an issue?

the lugs are loose the wheel will go bump bump like you describe...

micjordan
06-03-2004, 07:26 PM
another thing i should add. i didnt use any additional grease when installing the new hub other than the grease that was already pre-packed into the bearings from when i bought it. should i have used some somewhere?

Jeff N.
06-03-2004, 07:28 PM
The rotor backing plate isn't dragging on the rotor is it?

the lugs are definately tight. the only thing that didnt go as planned is the 2 O shaped inserts that go into the hub from either side. The one on the engine side wouldnt come off so I had to leave it rather than put the new one on. And the new one that goes on the wheel side wouldnt fit on. It seemed to be only microns off because it would start to go on and get stuck. So I had to use both of the old O shaped pieces. They appeared to be in good condition and showed no difference from the new ones but ya never know. Could this be an issue?

Bill R.
06-03-2004, 08:25 PM
bearing race.... and if thats the case you don't use the old ones... you may have screwed up.. Frequently when you pull the hub assy. the old race on the inner bearing stays on the spindle and you have to use a puller to get it off... bmw has a puller to remove this bearing. But you can usually field fabricate something to get it off..

micjordan
06-03-2004, 09:01 PM
bill, could this cause the problem i described? they appeared to be in good condition with no defects (even minor that i could see) - however i couldnt see the back side of the back O piece. if i could get the back one off with a puller what about the problem of getting the new ones on? neither of them would fit onto the "bar". they were slightly too small (not visually, but by only microns i think). also, what about the issue of grease? should i have put some anywhere? the bearings were already greased.

bearing race.... and if thats the case you don't use the old ones... you may have screwed up.. Frequently when you pull the hub assy. the old race on the inner bearing stays on the spindle and you have to use a puller to get it off... bmw has a puller to remove this bearing. But you can usually field fabricate something to get it off..

micjordan
06-03-2004, 09:03 PM
hmm...interesting question. i will check that out when i take it apart tomorrow. it is a new problem so maybe i bent that part while i was working.

The rotor backing plate isn't dragging on the rotor is it?

Bill R.
06-03-2004, 09:21 PM
They have to be pressed back on. Thats why the special tool, usually you can fabricate something to help push them on with the new hub. Or take a heat gun and heat the hub assy up some, but not too hot and chill the spindle down with whatever you have, ice packs whatever and then you have a very short time when the spindle is cooled and the bearing is heated to slide the assy on quickly before it equalizes.. If not you get to make some kind of bearing pusher to install it with..http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/wheelbearing1.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/wheelbearing2.jpg

bill, could this cause the problem i described? they appeared to be in good condition with no defects (even minor that i could see) - however i couldnt see the back side of the back O piece. if i could get the back one off with a puller what about the problem of getting the new ones on? neither of them would fit onto the "bar". they were slightly too small (not visually, but by only microns i think). also, what about the issue of grease? should i have put some anywhere? the bearings were already greased.

micjordan
06-03-2004, 10:38 PM
thanks! that was it! when i got the old o-ring off i saw what had caused the entire problem. there was a ~2mm sq defect in the metal that the bearings rolled on. over time i assume this had ruined the old bearings and turned from a fast bump to a whining as the bearings got worse and worse after rolling over this defect. its an odd defect too. i might take a pic and post it. it looks like the metal was defective or something. its not an indentation or scratch like you might expect. anyway...all is well again as my bimmer now rolls perfectly :)

632 Regal
06-03-2004, 11:33 PM
bigger hammer syndrome again